Medical Receptionist Salary In The United States
Medical receptionists are an important part of the medical office team or the hospital team, as they are usually the first person the patient comes into contact with, either live or through the phone. This is why it is an aspect of utmost importance that the medical receptionist makes a good first impression, as only this way the hospital or clinic in question can develop a good long-term relationship with the client. According to the Pay Scale salary surveys, a medical receptionist should expect a mean yearly pay of around $22,000 in compensation, and most of these professionals earn around $10 per hour.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
In spite of the fact that the salary differences are not huge from one US state to another, the US BLS showed that some professionals earn more, up to $36,000 a year (those from the states of California and New York, as well as those who live in other large metropolitan areas) while the bottom 10% of the receptionists usually make under $20,000, and this typically happens in the rural areas. In the United States of America, there are over 20,000 employed medical receptionists at the moment.
Medical Receptionist Job Description
The duties and responsibilities of the medical receptionist vary a lot depending on the staff as well as on the size of the practice, but what all medical receptionists have in common is that they all have to deal with basic office and administrative tasks, from answering the phone calls to replying to e-mails and taking a message from the caller. In most cases, it is also the duty of the medical receptionist to schedule the patients’ appointments, to change, set and cancel the appointments and to inform their patients about their appointments. In addition to this, medical receptionists usually need to perform other basic administrative tasks as well such as scanning and copying various documents, filing files, maintaining patient records and other light office work.
Working as a medical receptionist does take a lot of skill and training, as it is important for these professionals to be able to multi-task and to handle multiple incoming calls at a time, to be pleasant and professional both live and over the phone as well as to have accurate data entry skills. Every medical receptionist must be computer literate and have some experience, either as a secretary or as a receptionist. At the same time, it is essential for future medical receptionists to have a clean background, to be punctual and reliable as well as to have some basic knowledge in numerical filing as well as math.
Overall, those who want to break into the medical field should know that working as a medical receptionist for a while surely offers them the insight in the medical career that they are looking for. One of the greatest benefits of working as a medical receptionist is that requires little overtime, depending on the general working schedule of each office. This is a low stress job that has straightforward duties and responsibilities.
How To Become A Medical Receptionist?
- Medical Coding and Billing
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Health Information Management - Associate's
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Medical Billing & Coding
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- BS in Health Information Management
- Medical Office Administration
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Healthcare Administration, Marketing and Entrepreneurship Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
As mentioned above, it is the duty of the medical receptionist to create a comfortable, friendly and pleasing environment both for the patients and for the other staff members, and these professionals are often very busy throughout the day. They interact with vendors, pharmaceutical representatives, patients, medical staff and so on. An entry-level medical receptionist must have at least a high school diploma, a GED or an equivalent, although it is not uncommon for some medical receptionists to undergo formal training in order to meet the criteria of their work environment.
Most of them opt for classes in medical ethics, coding, medical software, medical office procedures, medical terminology and so on. However, it often happens that most medical receptionists learn how to perform their daily duties and responsibilities on the job, and this typically takes a few weeks – throughout this internship period, they will become familiar with essential aspects such as patient confidentiality, how to handle patient health information as well as how to deal with important institutional procedures.
Generally speaking, medical receptionists work very closely with the public, this is why impeccable communication skills and excellent customer service skills are of paramount importance. Moreover, these professionals must also have a warm and welcoming demeanor, they must be compassionate and highly organized. A good medical receptionist must also possess a great attention to detail and manage fast-pace office duties, as it often happens in almost any work environment.
Medical receptionists do have some opportunities for advancement if they want to advance to a higher and better paid position – as the time passes and these professionals become more skilled, they are typically moved into supervisory positions where they receive a higher salary. However, those who have invested time and money in their education and have received a degree or even a certification can become administrative assistants or medical secretaries – in spite of the fact that these positions typically involve more responsibilities, they are certainly more rewarding both from a financial and from a professional point of view.
It is not required that medical receptionists are certified these days, given the fact that these professionals only have to deal with basic office and administrative tasks, from scheduling appointments to greeting the patients. However, all the applicants must have GEDs or high school diploma for admission, and some coursework can also require a certification in both first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation. The certification requires both hands-on experience and coursework, and the theoretical training includes medical law and ethics, medical transcription, formatting, computerized touch keyboarding, medical office procedures and so on.
Medical Receptionist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
The salary of these professionals varies from one country to another. For instance, in the UK a medical receptionist earns around 7 pounds per hour, while a medical receptionist in Canada should expect around C$14,00 per hour and a mean yearly wage of around C$26,000. At the same time, Australia pays its medical receptionists with an hourly salary of AU$20,00
Verdict On Medical Receptionist Salary
To sum up, medical receptionists usually receive a very low salary and this is why many opt for this job only for a limited period of time.