Medical Transcriptionist Salary In The United States
Medical transcriptionists are professionals who listen to various voice recordings provided by doctors, nurses, physicians and other health care professionals and then simply turn them into written reports. These professionals also provide reviewing and editing services as well, and they must be well-aware of all the medical terminology and the abbreviations that are used in this industry. Medical transcriptionists typically work for state owned and operated hospitals or private practices, while others are self-employed and they choose to work on their own. The median annual salary for a medical transcriptionist is of around $35,000.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
Medical transcriptionists are paid differently across the United States of America. For instance, those who live in Massachusetts typically earn around $42,000 a year, and so do those who work in the states of California and Alaska. On the other hand, medical transcriptionists who work in the states of Washington, New Jersey or Hawaii have a mean yearly wage between $37,000 and $38,000, depending on their work environment and experience.
Medical Transcriptionist Job Description
Medical transcriptionists do not necessarily need a post-secondary training in the field of medical transcription in order to fill a position in this field, although it is highly recommended for them to attend professional courses and programs provided by vocational schools and community colleges and get an Associate’s Degree. It is very important for medical transcriptionists to have impeccable listening skills, to be familiar with medical terminology and medicine in general, to have good English grammar and also to be well-versed with personal computers as well as word processing software. Perfect grammar and punctuation skills are equally important as well.
Moreover, it is also extremely important for the medical transcriptionist to have a normal hearing acuity, as their duty is to convert audio files into written records. Throughout their careers, medical transcriptionists can advance to higher, supervisory positions and they can even work from home. At the same time, these professionals can provide a variety of additional services as well, such as teaching, editing and consulting in the field of medical transcription. Those who want to climb the success ladder and to increase both their salary and their job opportunities can always further their studies and become health information administrators, medical records or medical records and health information technicians.
How To Become A Medical Transcriptionist?
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Health Information Management - Associate's
- Medical Coding and Billing
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Medical Billing & Coding
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Health Information Technology
- Join GCU's Colangelo College of Business and start down the path to a successful business career.
- Bachelor's and master's degrees that help prepare students to be business leaders.
- Leading-edge degrees that address the demands of contemporary business environments.
- Online and evening classes designed to meet the needs of working students and adults.
- Committed to providing students a values-based education centered on Christian principles
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Business Administration: Healthcare Management
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Care Administration - D.B.A.
- Health Care Administration - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
If you have decided to become a medical transcriptionist and pursue a career in the health care industry, then it is very important to know where to start from. Medical transcription offers you a stable job, a rewarding salary as well as the flexibility you need to make your own schedule – in some cases, you are even able to work from home. Nonetheless, it is very important to understand that becoming a medical transcriptionist takes time and patience, and most professionals need at least six months of on the job work before they are allowed to work independently. Otherwise stated, experience plays a crucial role in your future as a medical transcriptionist.
The first and most important step you need to take is enrolling in a medical transcription school that offers both theoretical and practical training. One of the greatest benefits of these schools, in addition to teaching you everything you need in the field, is that they typically assist you in finding a job at the end of your training session. Once you graduate, you can join a professional association where you can meet people who are on the same wavelength as you are – the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity is a great point to start from, as it will connect you with other experienced medical transcription professionals.
After you have managed to get all the coursework and the hands-on experience required for working as a medical transcriptionist, you can move on to contacting physicians who are looking for such professionals. You can either work with a contract or as a freelancer – besides this, it is important to make the best out of the training you got from an accredited medical transcription school. Generally speaking, the training can last for up to 18 months. Experience is essential for your future in the field, as all medical transcriptionists typically opt for an internship in the field that offers them both the payment and the practical experience they so much need.
The final step for every medical transcriptionist is obtaining their credentials, which not only add to their resume but also add to their credibility and show how serious and committed you truly are to your medical transcription career. A certification as a medical transcriptionists will certainly open many doors in the future and it will add to your salary as well.
If you have decided to get your certification, then you should know that the only accredited organization that is able to provide you with a medical transcription certification is the ADHI, which has been in the field for more than thirty years. On the other hand, you can also benefit from the American Healthcare Information Management Association, which has been in the industry for almost a century, qualifying people as certified medical information specialists. ADHI can provide you with a list of high-quality colleges that have managed to stand out from the crowd, and that can offer you all the necessary education for passing the final medical transcription certification exam.
Medical Transcriptionist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
Medical transcriptionists who work in the United Kingdom make around 17,000 pounds a year, while those who live and work in Canada make up to $40,000 CAD on a yearly basis. At the same time, these professionals who reside in Australia should expect to make around AU$24,00 per hour.
Verdict On Medical Transcriptionist Salary
While it is true that medical transcriptionists are not the best paid professionals in their area of expertise, they can get a higher salary by opening their own private office or by working from home. This flexibility is more appealing to people than the salary itself, as it offers them the freedom to design their own working schedule.