Embryologists are skilled biological scientists who closely study the behavior and genetics of embryos in different living organisms. They typically work in laboratories and their research involves new methods of improving fertility and increasing the chances for reproduction. While some embryologists focus on animal embryos, the clinical ones focus on human embryos and they often help couples who cannot conceive naturally.
The median yearly wage of these biological scientists varies greatly from one state to another, and it also depends on their educational background as not all embryologists choose to pursue a doctoral degree or to specialize in genetics. However, the median salary typically varies anywhere between $42,000 and as much as $74,000 a year, or even more.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
As it happens with virtually any other medical field, embryologists also get different annual salaries depending on their geographical location. It is believed that those who reside in the state of California are paid the highest salary, as it is not uncommon for embryologists who work here to make as much as $126,000 a month, depending on their employer and work environment. Those who live and work in Massachusetts should expect a median wage of around $70,000 a year, while those from Texas typically get between $48,000 and up to $82,000 a year.
Embryologist Job Description
The job description of these biological scientists vary depending on the type of genetics in which they choose to specialize. Taking clinical embryologists as an example, these skilled professionals specialize in different therapeutic embryological procedures and they typically work either in private clinics or in state-owned hospitals.
These professionals commonly conduct procedures like in vitro fertilisation to help couples who cannot conceive naturally, and it is also their job to inform patients about the different fertilisation techniques and how they work. Clinical embryologists work closely with other professionals from their field of activity, like counselors, nurses and other physicians.
Every good embryologist must possess a good manual dexterity and must have an impeccable attention to detail. They must be detail-oriented, precise and well-organized, and they need to show empathy and understanding to both women and their partners who want to find solutions to their reproductive problems.
Clinical embryologists are biological scientists with a very strong background in assisted reproductive technology, embryology and infertility. In spite of the fact that embryology is a relatively new field that has become popular only over the past two decades, the medical field is in a constant need of trained clinical embryologists.
The duties and responsibilities of these professionals vary greatly, but generally speaking, the clinical embryologist is responsible for determining how fertile an individual is, collecting samples from patients that will be processed later on in the laboratory, micromanipulating and testing the sperm or the eggs to see whether they are viable and suitable for reproduction, preparing them for the in vitro fertilisation process and using different ART procedures to help couples conceive.
It is also the duty of the embryologist to monitor the development of the embryo throughout the pregnancy, to monitor and maintain the cryobanks as well as to understand the ethical issues and regulations that apply to the handling of embryos. These professionals must also have an in-depth understanding of the embryo culture and cryopreservation, for later use. They must also take care of all the medical equipment and, in some cases, they need to perform some administrative tasks as well, such as keeping the records of their patients.
How To Become An Embryologist?
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Medical Coding and Billing
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Dental Assistant Diploma
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- And more...
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Medical Billing & Coding
- Dental Assisting
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- American InterContinental University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. To contact the Higher Learnin Commission please visit www.hlcommission.org
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- And more...
Becoming an embryologist certainly takes a lot of time and effort, as these professionals specialize in the growth and the formation of life, which takes a lot of in-depth study. The first step is enrolling in as many science courses as possible in high-school and getting high grades in order to be eligible for a good and reputable college. It is known that your college will determine your future as an embryologist!
After graduating from high school, it is important to enroll in a four-year college training program where you will study subjects like biochemistry, microbiology, embryology as well as biology. It is highly recommended to become a lab assistant or technician throughout college, as this will not only help you understand laboratory work a lot better, but it will also add to your experience and expertise in the field. After the training period is complete and you get your Bachelor’s Degree, you will need to apply or a Master’s degree in microbiology, embryology or biology, followed by a PhD in either biology or embryology.
If you want to become a certified specialist in embryology care, then you should know that this credential is provided by the American College of Embryology. The general eligibility requirements include a requisite continuing education, and after you get your ACE certification you will need to sit for a re-certification once every five years.
There are several different medical professions one can opt for in the field of embryology. For instance, if you want to become a certified reproductive embryologist, you will need to have a PhD along with at least 100 hands-on ART cases performed in the last three years, and you will also need to be peer-certified by EPCB. Moreover, you also have to have completed a residency program in embryology, and to enroll in an ACE continuing education program.
Embryologist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A skilled embryologist who lives and works in Canada should know that the median yearly salary for these professionals here is of around C$53,000. At the same time, an embryologist who works in the United Kingdom should expect to get a yearly salary of around 37,000 pounds, while one who works in Australia is typically paid with around Au$39,000-Au$78,000.
Verdict On Embryologist Salary
The salary of an embryologist can be very rewarding, as it can exceed $100,000 a year in the USA, although this depends greatly on the employer, the work environment as well as the geographical location of these biological scientists.