Forensic scientists have been portrayed in tens of TV shows and movies over the past years, and while the job of these professionals in the movies seems very catchy and entertaining, in the real life it often happens to be a lot more demanding and tiresome. However, one thing is for sure: both in television and in real life forensic scientists deal with collecting the evidence, analyzing the patients and solving murder mysteries that would eventually bring the murderers to justice. The median yearly wage of a forensic scientist in the United States of America is of $55,000 a year, although in some cases they can make as much as $85,000 a year depending on their employer.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
The salary of a forensic scientist varies greatly across the United States of America, as these professionals get a median yearly salary of around $57,000 a year in the state of Arizona, while the District of Columbia pays them with no less than $74,000 a year, which is almost $20,000 over the national average. Washington DC, on the other hand, pays its forensic scientists median wages of around $80,000 a year, while those from the states of Illinois should expect to get around $76,000 a year.
Forensic Scientist Job Description
Simply put, forensic scientists are skilled professionals who have the duty to provide impartial scientific evidence that will be used later on in court, in order to find the murderer. These professionals usually collect blood, tissue and hair samples from the crime scenes and in some cases, they also analyze the samples in the laboratory. This is a very detailed job where the scientist must have a great attention to detail.
A good forensic scientist must be well-trained in areas like drugs and toxicology, biology and chemistry, as all of them are closely related to forensics science. They will examine paint and chemicals, and they will also test various DNA samples found at the scene – not just blood and hair, but also clothing fibers.
It is also very important for every good forensic scientist to be familiar with different analysis techniques from genetic fingerprinting and infrared spectroscopy to mass spectrometry and even scanning electron microscopy. These professionals must attend and examine different crime scenes, they must collect trace evidence, review and supervise the work of the other forensic assistants and present their work in a written and oral form. The forensic scientists are only a small part of a bigger forensics team, and their duty is to coordinate with other outside agencies in order to find the truth.
How To Become A Forensic Scientist?
- One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo University offers over 50 accredited undergraduate degrees, programs and endorsements as well as master's and doctoral programs.
- Saint Leo’s undergraduate and graduate online degree programs prepare you to take advantage of growing career opportunities in a variety of in-demand fields.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited degree today!
- MS: Criminal Justice - Forensic Science
- AA: Criminal Justice
- BA: Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Passionate about law and the justice system? Pursue a Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Criminal Justice online from Grand Canyon University.
- GCU's Bachelor of Science in Justice Studies and Master of Science in Criminal Justice are designed to prepare students to serve the needs of 21st century communities.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn your criminal justice degree.
- If you are interested in growing your skills in crime analysis and strategic planning, consider earning a degree in criminal justice.
- Grand Canyon University prepares learners to become global citizens, critical thinkers, effective communicators & responsible leaders by providing an academically challenging curriculum.
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Legal Studies
- Career training since 1963.
- Gives you the freedom and flexibility to learn on your own time, at your own pace and in your own environment.
- Complete your education and gain technical skills when and where it's convenient for you!
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
- We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ®
- Criminal Justice
- At Miller-Motte, our mission is to provide each and every student with a quality education that will prepare them to enter and succeed in their new careers.
- Not all students are able to travel to a campus, so we offer online courses and programs to fit their busy lives.
- Miller-Motte Online Programs offer a variety of Certificate of Completion and Associate of Applied Science Degree programs;like: Business, Healthcare, Legal and Protective Services and Technology
- To assist students with any educational challenge Miller-Motte offers tutoring services to all online students. Tutoring is offered on an as-needed basis, at no additional charge.
- If you work full-time, have family obligations or are interested in learning the skills needed to start a new career in the comfort of your own home, we can help you train for a new career.
- Miller-Motte Online Programs are set up to meet the needs of employers. When you complete one of our many courses or programs, you’ll have the skills needed to stand out in the job market.
- Criminal Justice - Associate of Applied Science
- Topped the list as Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report in 2019.
- Regent is ranked among Top National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, 2019.
- Flexible online, on-campus and evening courses offered in 135 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Regent is recognized among Top #10 Military Friendly Schools by Military Friendly®, 2019.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $24 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid in 2017-18.
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Criminal Justice
- Post University has trained thousands of successful professionals in Criminal Justice
- Find concentrations in Legal Studies, Correctional Counseling & more
- 100% online Criminal Justice B.S. degree
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS in Criminal Justice in Crime Scene Investigation
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice Homeland Security
- AA in Criminal Justice
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor's
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Bachelor of Arts - Criminal Justice
The field of forensic science is very complex, and you can choose one of the many different positions within the industry: forensic IT specialist or accounting, forensic engineer, forensic psychologist, crime scene examiner or crime laboratory analyst are only a few of the most sought-after positions in the field.
The first step you need to take in order to become a forensic scientist is to get a Bachelor’s Degree in Science, and then to specialize in a training program that targets either criminal justice or police procedures. You will need to graduate with high marks from your Bachelor’s Degree training program and to get enough work experience in order to work in the field. Internships are a must, but they are often very difficult.
During the training program, you will learn more about toxicology, organ chemistry, human anatomy and such.
A certification also helps you a lot in your future career as a forensic scientist – make sure that it is provided by the American Academy of Forensic Scientists. Not only will it help you get a stable and well-paid job, but it will also add to your CV.
The certification for forensic scientists is provided by the ABC, or the American Board of Criminalistics. This is an institution that represents forensic scientists and this was the first certification body in the industry that was accredited by the well-known Forensic Specialty Accreditation Board.
Forensic Scientist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, the median yearly wage of a forensic scientist is of Cad$39,000, while in Australia it is of Au$68,000 and in the United Kingdom 25,000 pounds.
Verdict On Forensic Scientist Salary
To conclude, the salary of a forensic scientist is directly proportional to the work volume, both in the United States and outside of the country.