A masseuse, also known as a massage therapist, is a professional who performs high-quality, targeted massages to those who need them either to relax or to relieve muscle and joint pain. It often happens that back pain is the most common reason why people see a massage therapist.
The notion of “masseuse” is used to describe the female massage professional, while the “masseur” is the male massage therapist. More than three quarters of the massage therapists in the United States of America are female, and their median yearly salary is of around $40,000, although it can vary depending on their work environment, and whether they work for a spa or a professional massage center or they choose to run their own businesses.
Pay Scale In The United States of America
The median yearly salary of masseuses and other massage therapists can vary depending on their geographical location, given the fact that the living costs vary greatly from one state to another, as well. That being said, the highest paying state for these professionals is considered to be Alaska, where masseuses get a median yearly wage of over $80,000 a year. On the second place, there is the state of Delaware where professional, skilled and trained masseuses make around $60,000, followed by the states of Washington and Vermont with over $50,000 a year.
Masseuse Job Description
As you may know already, the main duty and responsibility of the masseuse is to use professional manipulation and massage techniques in order to relieve muscle pain and to help patients relax. Masseuses have the opportunity to relax in one of the numerous different fields of massage therapy, from reflexology to sports medicine and any other field where their expertise is highly needed.
Working as a massage therapist is certainly very relaxing and pleasing, given the fact that you will spend most of the day in soothing music and surrounded by scented oil. As a matter of fact, the pleasant work environment coupled with the flexible working schedule is what determines tens of thousands of people to pursue a career in massage therapy on a yearly basis.
The primary duty of the masseuse is to help patients relax their muscles and to alleviate pain and stress, both of which are usually caused by spending too much time on their feet. There are tens of different massage types to choose from, and all of them aim to improve the health status of the client.
In addition to helping patients overcome muscle pain and stress, most masseuses also deal with those who suffer from various physical ailments of the bones, muscles and the soft tissues, allowing them to improve their health status.
Before deciding on the most suitable massage technique for each client, it is important for the masseuse to thoroughly analyze the medical and the physical history of the patient, and then to choose the most suitable oils and lotions for the massage therapy. Contrary to popular belief, performing a massage is not as easy as it may seem at first sight. Masseuses are also responsible for promoting a correct blood flow to the peripheric areas of the body.
Other notable tasks and responsibilities of masseuses involve educating the customer on the different types of massages and their benefits in order to make an informed choice, preparing the lotions, toiletries and the liquids that will be used for the massage, offering the best massage technique depending on the requirements, the goals and the condition of the client and manipulate different massaging tools and equipments, for the best results.
How To Become A Masseuse?
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapist
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
Becoming a masseuse can be very rewarding from a financial standpoint, especially since only required basic formal training in the field, coupled with extensive hands-on experience. The first step you need to take is to decide on the massage area in which you want to specialize, as this will determine your entire career path.
Do you want to help people cope with their physical ailments, or perhaps you just want to specialize in relaxation massages? You can opt for sports massage which is aimed mainly at athletes who want to recover after a sports injury, or a clinical massage that is designed for those with different physical ailments, although the latter does require extensive anatomy knowledge. Other very popular types of massage include the Swedish massage which is commonly used both for relaxation or healing purposes, the hot stone massage or the reflexology.
Once you have decided on the type of massage in which you want to specialize, it is important to find a reputable, suitable and accredited training program to enroll in. Most of these massage schools in the United States of America specialize in Swedish massage, although there are more specific schools as well. After that, it is important to complete the training program, which typically lasts for 500-600 hours of practical training, and then you can pursue a licensure.
Certification Options For Masseuses
The eligibility requirements for massage therapy certification vary depending on the state, although there are two different types of certifications one can opt for: the NCETM and the NCETMB. Regardless of which type of certification you aim for, it is very important to have at least 500 hours of practical experience with massage therapy, along with in-depth knowledge in the field of business and ethics, pathology, anatomy, body systems, physiology and therapeutic massage.
Masseuse Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A Canadian masseuse has a median yearly wage of around C$58,000, while an Australian one makes around Au$45,000 and one who works in the United Kingdom should expect to be paid with around 17,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Masseuse Salary
To conclude, the salary of a masseuse is very motivating generally speaking, and it is expected to grow as the masseuse herself gets more experience in the field. It often happens that beginner masseuses are paid lower salaries, but the they have the chance to improve their knowledge, skills and expertise and to increase their median yearly income along with their experience.