Medical administration is an important area of medicine because, as the name of the field suggests, this is what makes the entire healthcare industry spin. Simply put, medical administrators are skilled and trained professionals who make sure that everything goes according to plan: they work in private clinics, state hospitals and a plethora of other health care settings. They focus on everything that makes a healthcare system work, and they have a very solid background in both the medical and the management field.
These professionals are drive, highly trained and organized, and their main responsibility is ensuring a continuous work flow in the health care industry. That being said, these administrators have a median yearly salary of around $90,000 a year, although some of them can make as much as $150,000 a year or even more.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
Some of the states and metropolitan areas in the United States of America pay their medical administrators median yearly wages that are over the national average, while others pay them wages that are just under the average. That being said, the state of New York typically pays medical administrators with a median yearly salary of around $114,000, while California offers them over $113,000 and Connecticut pays them with little over $111,000. At the same time, the median yearly salary for healthcare administrators in New Jersey and Rhode Island is of around $110,000, although there are many factors that can impact the final price.
Medical Administrator Job Description
Simply put, it is the duty of the medical administrator to manage the business of healthcare. They need to plan, coordinate and then implement different aspects of businesses in the health care center, and they also need to make sure that all patients receive medical services of the highest quality. Medical administrators can either oversee the correct functioning of just one department of the facility, or they can supervise the entire facility. It often happens that healthcare administrators are employed in private doctor’s offices, private clinics and larger hospitals. The duties and responsibilities of the medical administrator are still the same, regardless of how large or how small the clinical setting actually is.
It is very important for the medical administrators to be versatile and to easily adapt to new changes – they play an important role in the work environment, and they must make sure that all the rules and regulations set within the clinic or the hospital are respected. Also, these professionals may also oversee different aspects of the health care industry, such as the patient admissions, the human resources department, the existing facilities and the medical supplies, materials and technologies, the financial department, the medical records and so forth.
Health care administrators or medical administrators are commonly referred to as clinical managers, given the fact that they basically oversee the management of the hospital or the private institution that they run, and they take care of every medical department from the nursing to the ER. Nonetheless, it must be mentioned that even the medical administrators, need to report to a senior administrator sometimes, especially if they are in charge with a very large facility, such as a teaching hospital where the level of responsibility is considerably higher, as opposed to that of managing a smaller clinic.
Generally speaking, medical administrators work closely to the medical staff and the physicians in the development of new policies, as well as for overseeing the financial planning process, developing the budgets for the upcoming year, overseeing the collections and the billings and finally, managing the health care personnel. It is extremely important for a truly good medical administrator to cover all the business areas related to a healthcare setting.
In some cases, these professionals may even need to deal with some administrative tasks as well, such as drafting the correspondence, scheduling the patient appointments as well as supervising the transcription staff. It is their duty to make sure that all the general management tasks go according to plan, from making the budgets to purchasing all the necessary medical supplies. While the smaller clinics typically have just one administrator, the larger ones can have two or more medical administrators to cover all the business areas described above.
How To Become A Good Medical Administrator?
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- Medical Office Administration
- Master of Health Care Administration
- BS in Health Care Administration
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MS: Human Performance: Clinical
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition and Wellness
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- B.S. in Health Care Administration
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Health Administration
- Doctor of Health Administration
- BecomeANurseOnline.com - 100% Online/Campus Nursing Diploma Programs Available
- Are You Ready to Start Earning Your Nursing Degree in 2018? Find Affordable and Flexible CNA Programs Here!
- Answer a Few Questions to Get Free Info on Online or Campus CNA Programs Within Minutes
- Choose from Diploma, Associate, and Certificate Level Nursing Degree Options
- Get Matched to Nursing Programs Today—It's Fast, Easy, and Free!
The first step towards becoming a medical administrator is completing your undergraduate training, and then enrolling in a four-year Bachelor’s Degree training program that is directly related to healthcare administration. It can be business administration or public health – whatever is related to the field of medical administration. You may need to gain a Master’s Degree as well, if you plan to manage a larger clinical setting.
What is truly challenging in your pursuit for becoming a healthcare administrator is finding a good and accredited doctoral and master’s degree program. Simply put, these programs are typically offered by medical schools, public administration schools as well as schools of public health and universities.
It is highly recommended for all medical administrators to pursue a healthcare administration certificate by enrolling in the HPA certificate program. This certificate program will cover all the essential areas of business administration, from handling the human resources department and the financial department to strategic marketing and long-term planning. Health systems management courses are also included in the coursework.
Medical Administration Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In the United Kingdom, a medical administrator can earn anywhere between 25,000 and as much as 40,000 pounds a year, although the median wage varies greatly depending on whether the professional works for a small private doctor’s office or clinic, or whether they administer a larger, teaching hospital. Seniors who work in healthcare administration in the United Kingdom typically get twice the salary!
Medical administrators from Canada usually earn around Ca$80,000 a year, while those from Australia should expect to make between Au$90,000 and Au$100,000 a year.
Verdict On Medical Administration Salary
To conclude, becoming a medical administrator can turn out to be a very wise and rewarding decision in the long haul.