Medical administration is an important area of medicine because, as the name of the field suggests, this is what makes the entire healthcare industry spin. Simply put, medical administrators are skilled and trained professionals who make sure that everything goes according to plan: they work in private clinics, state hospitals and a plethora of other health care settings. They focus on everything that makes a healthcare system work, and they have a very solid background in both the medical and the management field.
These professionals are drive, highly trained and organized, and their main responsibility is ensuring a continuous work flow in the health care industry. That being said, these administrators have a median yearly salary of around $90,000 a year, although some of them can make as much as $150,000 a year or even more.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
Some of the states and metropolitan areas in the United States of America pay their medical administrators median yearly wages that are over the national average, while others pay them wages that are just under the average. That being said, the state of New York typically pays medical administrators with a median yearly salary of around $114,000, while California offers them over $113,000 and Connecticut pays them with little over $111,000. At the same time, the median yearly salary for healthcare administrators in New Jersey and Rhode Island is of around $110,000, although there are many factors that can impact the final price.
Medical Administrator Job Description
Simply put, it is the duty of the medical administrator to manage the business of healthcare. They need to plan, coordinate and then implement different aspects of businesses in the health care center, and they also need to make sure that all patients receive medical services of the highest quality. Medical administrators can either oversee the correct functioning of just one department of the facility, or they can supervise the entire facility. It often happens that healthcare administrators are employed in private doctor’s offices, private clinics and larger hospitals. The duties and responsibilities of the medical administrator are still the same, regardless of how large or how small the clinical setting actually is.
It is very important for the medical administrators to be versatile and to easily adapt to new changes – they play an important role in the work environment, and they must make sure that all the rules and regulations set within the clinic or the hospital are respected. Also, these professionals may also oversee different aspects of the health care industry, such as the patient admissions, the human resources department, the existing facilities and the medical supplies, materials and technologies, the financial department, the medical records and so forth.
Health care administrators or medical administrators are commonly referred to as clinical managers, given the fact that they basically oversee the management of the hospital or the private institution that they run, and they take care of every medical department from the nursing to the ER. Nonetheless, it must be mentioned that even the medical administrators, need to report to a senior administrator sometimes, especially if they are in charge with a very large facility, such as a teaching hospital where the level of responsibility is considerably higher, as opposed to that of managing a smaller clinic.
Generally speaking, medical administrators work closely to the medical staff and the physicians in the development of new policies, as well as for overseeing the financial planning process, developing the budgets for the upcoming year, overseeing the collections and the billings and finally, managing the health care personnel. It is extremely important for a truly good medical administrator to cover all the business areas related to a healthcare setting.
In some cases, these professionals may even need to deal with some administrative tasks as well, such as drafting the correspondence, scheduling the patient appointments as well as supervising the transcription staff. It is their duty to make sure that all the general management tasks go according to plan, from making the budgets to purchasing all the necessary medical supplies. While the smaller clinics typically have just one administrator, the larger ones can have two or more medical administrators to cover all the business areas described above.
How To Become A Good Medical Administrator?
- Turn Your Love of Helping Others Into a Career in the Health Care Industry With a Degree From Grand Canyon University Online
- Online bachelor's and master's health care degree programs.
- Flexible & affordable online programs designed for the working adult.
- Build a foundational skill set rooted in leadership, critical thinking and problem solving.
- Program in health care admin, health science, public health and more.
- GCU's College of Nursing and Health Care Professions has a mission to promote health & wellness for all patients.
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- Master of Public Administration with an Emphasis in Health Care Management
- And more...
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Healthcare Administration - Bachelor
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MS: Healthcare Administration: Accounting
- MS: Human Performance: Clinical
- And more...
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Health Sciences - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
WELCOME TO PURDUE UNIVERSITY GLOBAL
World-Class Education Tailored for Working Adults
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience tailored for working adults.
- Master of Health Care Administration
- BS in Health Care Administration
- BS in Health Information Management
- And more...
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Healthcare Management
The first step towards becoming a medical administrator is completing your undergraduate training, and then enrolling in a four-year Bachelor’s Degree training program that is directly related to healthcare administration. It can be business administration or public health – whatever is related to the field of medical administration. You may need to gain a Master’s Degree as well, if you plan to manage a larger clinical setting.
What is truly challenging in your pursuit for becoming a healthcare administrator is finding a good and accredited doctoral and master’s degree program. Simply put, these programs are typically offered by medical schools, public administration schools as well as schools of public health and universities.
It is highly recommended for all medical administrators to pursue a healthcare administration certificate by enrolling in the HPA certificate program. This certificate program will cover all the essential areas of business administration, from handling the human resources department and the financial department to strategic marketing and long-term planning. Health systems management courses are also included in the coursework.
Medical Administration Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In the United Kingdom, a medical administrator can earn anywhere between 25,000 and as much as 40,000 pounds a year, although the median wage varies greatly depending on whether the professional works for a small private doctor’s office or clinic, or whether they administer a larger, teaching hospital. Seniors who work in healthcare administration in the United Kingdom typically get twice the salary!
Medical administrators from Canada usually earn around Ca$80,000 a year, while those from Australia should expect to make between Au$90,000 and Au$100,000 a year.
Verdict On Medical Administration Salary
To conclude, becoming a medical administrator can turn out to be a very wise and rewarding decision in the long haul.