Medical device sales representatives are professionals who sale different devices that are commonly used in the medical field, from enzyme kits and needles to pacemakers and all the other types of supplies that are absolutely vital for doctors. These professionals commonly get in touch with hospital managers and physicians, presenting them the benefits of all these products.
Throughout the course of their career, medical device sale representatives can choose to specialize in one medical field, or they can sell devices to dermatologists, obstetricians, cardiologists, paediatric doctors and such. The median yearly wage of a medical device sales representative in the United States is of around $80,000, although these professionals can make as much as $150,000 in some areas.
Pay Scale In Different Areas Of The United States
It often happens that scientific and medical device sales representatives tend to earn more money than their counterparts who sell other devices. For example, one of the highest paying states for these professionals is Idaho, where medical device sales representatives should expect to earn as much as $120,000 a year. After that, the states of Wyoming and New Jersey also pay their medical device sales representatives salaries of around $100,000 a year, which are considerably over the national average. South Dakota rewards them with around $130,000 a year.
Medical Device Sales Representative Job Description
As you may have figured out from the name of the profession already, these professionals sell different tools and devices that are of utmost importance in the medical industry. The medical industry is continuously growing and expanding, and so is the need for high end medical devices. They can sell different medical equipments or biomedical implants used by cardiologists, dentists or orthopedic surgeons.
It is the duty of the medical device sales representative to seek and approach new clients, trying to emphasize on the benefits, features and functions of the product they are trying to sell. In other words, these professionals do the same job as regular sales persons, the only difference is that they specialize in medical equipment. They also need to keep in touch with all the existing customers, to balance all the tasks and to ensure the best possible customer service. Some of them may need to deal with different administrative tasks as well.
In spite of being a very rewarding job, one of the downsides of working as a medical device sales representative is the fact that you will need to be a lot of time outside in the field, to call people and to advertise your product. You will also need to set different appointments, to sent out quotes and proposals and such.
How To Become A Medical Device Sales Representative?
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- AAS in Business Administration - Sales
- BS in Business Administration - Sales Management
- MBA - Marketing
- And more...
- Boldly pursue your future in business with an online degree from Post University
- Degrees at all levels with concentrations in Finance, Marketing, and much more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- A.S. in Marketing
- B.S. in Marketing / Sales Management
- B.S. in Marketing
- And more...
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- MBA - Marketing
- Earn a 100% Online Masters Degrees at ACU
- Take Your Professional Career To The Next Level With An Online Graduate Degree
- M.S. in Management - Marketing
- MBA - Healthcare Administration
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Marketing: Sports Marketing and Media
- DBA in Marketing
- Master of Business Administration: Marketing
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Business Development
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Marketing
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- Offers master’s and doctoral programs in Business, Education, and Psychology.
- Maintains a 100% doctoral faculty, most of whom have completed their program of study at a regionally accredited institution.
- Weekly course starts allow students to start pursuing their degree as soon as they’re ready.
- Students may pursue their degree completely online, with no physical residency requirements.
- One-to-one teaching model allows students to pair with a faculty member in each of their courses.
- Marketing - BBA
- Marketing - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Marketing - MBA
- And more...
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- M.B.A.: Marketing
- B.S. in Marketing and Advertising
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Marketing
- Design thinking is a powerful process of problem solving that begins with understanding unmet customer needs.
- From that insight emerges a process for innovation that encompasses concept development, applied creativity, prototyping, and experimentation.
- Digital Marketing Strategies
You may think that working as a medical device sales representative only requires a bit of sales training and skill, but it actually requires a four-year college degree to become a sales representative. You will need to be very familiar with different medical devices and equipments. However, the exact training requirements can vary greatly from one employer to another, as some of them may even go a step further and ask you to have an MBA in the field as well. This is perfectly understandable, given the fact that every medical device sales representative must be familiar with all the basic business principles.
At the same time, it is highly recommended to apply for what is known as a NAMSR certificate, or the National Association of Medical Sales Representatives. Some of the employees may consider the NAMSR certificate the equivalent to the four-year college degree, while some of them may even regard it as superior to it. However, the certification shows that you have all the necessary skills and knowledge to work as a medical device sales representative.
Certification Options For Medical Or Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Certification
As described above, there are several different options when it comes to sales certifications in the field. They do increase your job opportunities and your salary, and they also help you diversify your client base.
Medical Device Sales Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A medical device sales representative who works in Canada should expect a median yearly wage that revolves around Cad$45,000-Cad$50,000 a year, while an Australian one makes around Au$65,000. Also, a medical device sales representative who works in the United Kingdom makes around 45,000 pounds a year.
The bottom line is that medical device sales representatives can get a very generous paycheck at the end of the month, if they are truly committed to their job!