Medical device sales representatives are professionals who sale different devices that are commonly used in the medical field, from enzyme kits and needles to pacemakers and all the other types of supplies that are absolutely vital for doctors. These professionals commonly get in touch with hospital managers and physicians, presenting them the benefits of all these products.
Throughout the course of their career, medical device sale representatives can choose to specialize in one medical field, or they can sell devices to dermatologists, obstetricians, cardiologists, paediatric doctors and such. The median yearly wage of a medical device sales representative in the United States is of around $80,000, although these professionals can make as much as $150,000 in some areas.
Pay Scale In Different Areas Of The United States
It often happens that scientific and medical device sales representatives tend to earn more money than their counterparts who sell other devices. For example, one of the highest paying states for these professionals is Idaho, where medical device sales representatives should expect to earn as much as $120,000 a year. After that, the states of Wyoming and New Jersey also pay their medical device sales representatives salaries of around $100,000 a year, which are considerably over the national average. South Dakota rewards them with around $130,000 a year.
Medical Device Sales Representative Job Description
As you may have figured out from the name of the profession already, these professionals sell different tools and devices that are of utmost importance in the medical industry. The medical industry is continuously growing and expanding, and so is the need for high end medical devices. They can sell different medical equipments or biomedical implants used by cardiologists, dentists or orthopedic surgeons.
It is the duty of the medical device sales representative to seek and approach new clients, trying to emphasize on the benefits, features and functions of the product they are trying to sell. In other words, these professionals do the same job as regular sales persons, the only difference is that they specialize in medical equipment. They also need to keep in touch with all the existing customers, to balance all the tasks and to ensure the best possible customer service. Some of them may need to deal with different administrative tasks as well.
In spite of being a very rewarding job, one of the downsides of working as a medical device sales representative is the fact that you will need to be a lot of time outside in the field, to call people and to advertise your product. You will also need to set different appointments, to sent out quotes and proposals and such.
How To Become A Medical Device Sales Representative?
- MBA - Sales Management
- Online and ground-based program areas include Fashion Marketing and Management and more.
- Students can study branding, event management, and public relations to help them prepare for a marketing career
- Course topics include Fundamentals of Business, Brand Strategy, Project Management, and Principles of Market Research
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Class Start on July 9
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Marketing & Entertainment Management (BS)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.B.A.: Marketing
- B.S. in Marketing
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Marketing
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Business Development
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- DBA in Marketing
- Master of Business Administration: Marketing
- MS in Marketing: Sports Marketing and Media
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Marketing
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes. 100% Free Match to Top Colleges.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You'll Love.
- Answer a few questions and you are one step closer to enroll in a Top College!
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
You may think that working as a medical device sales representative only requires a bit of sales training and skill, but it actually requires a four-year college degree to become a sales representative. You will need to be very familiar with different medical devices and equipments. However, the exact training requirements can vary greatly from one employer to another, as some of them may even go a step further and ask you to have an MBA in the field as well. This is perfectly understandable, given the fact that every medical device sales representative must be familiar with all the basic business principles.
At the same time, it is highly recommended to apply for what is known as a NAMSR certificate, or the National Association of Medical Sales Representatives. Some of the employees may consider the NAMSR certificate the equivalent to the four-year college degree, while some of them may even regard it as superior to it. However, the certification shows that you have all the necessary skills and knowledge to work as a medical device sales representative.
Certification Options For Medical Or Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Certification
As described above, there are several different options when it comes to sales certifications in the field. They do increase your job opportunities and your salary, and they also help you diversify your client base.
Medical Device Sales Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A medical device sales representative who works in Canada should expect a median yearly wage that revolves around Cad$45,000-Cad$50,000 a year, while an Australian one makes around Au$65,000. Also, a medical device sales representative who works in the United Kingdom makes around 45,000 pounds a year.
The bottom line is that medical device sales representatives can get a very generous paycheck at the end of the month, if they are truly committed to their job!