Medical device sales representatives are professionals who sale different devices that are commonly used in the medical field, from enzyme kits and needles to pacemakers and all the other types of supplies that are absolutely vital for doctors. These professionals commonly get in touch with hospital managers and physicians, presenting them the benefits of all these products.
Throughout the course of their career, medical device sale representatives can choose to specialize in one medical field, or they can sell devices to dermatologists, obstetricians, cardiologists, paediatric doctors and such. The median yearly wage of a medical device sales representative in the United States is of around $80,000, although these professionals can make as much as $150,000 in some areas.
Pay Scale In Different Areas Of The United States
It often happens that scientific and medical device sales representatives tend to earn more money than their counterparts who sell other devices. For example, one of the highest paying states for these professionals is Idaho, where medical device sales representatives should expect to earn as much as $120,000 a year. After that, the states of Wyoming and New Jersey also pay their medical device sales representatives salaries of around $100,000 a year, which are considerably over the national average. South Dakota rewards them with around $130,000 a year.
Medical Device Sales Representative Job Description
As you may have figured out from the name of the profession already, these professionals sell different tools and devices that are of utmost importance in the medical industry. The medical industry is continuously growing and expanding, and so is the need for high end medical devices. They can sell different medical equipments or biomedical implants used by cardiologists, dentists or orthopedic surgeons.
It is the duty of the medical device sales representative to seek and approach new clients, trying to emphasize on the benefits, features and functions of the product they are trying to sell. In other words, these professionals do the same job as regular sales persons, the only difference is that they specialize in medical equipment. They also need to keep in touch with all the existing customers, to balance all the tasks and to ensure the best possible customer service. Some of them may need to deal with different administrative tasks as well.
In spite of being a very rewarding job, one of the downsides of working as a medical device sales representative is the fact that you will need to be a lot of time outside in the field, to call people and to advertise your product. You will also need to set different appointments, to sent out quotes and proposals and such.
How To Become A Medical Device Sales Representative?
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Business Administration / Marketing
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- A.S. in Marketing
- And more...
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
- M.B.A.: Marketing
- B.S. in Marketing and Advertising
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes. 100% Free Match to Top Colleges.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You'll Love.
- Answer a few questions and you are one step closer to enroll in a Top College!
You may think that working as a medical device sales representative only requires a bit of sales training and skill, but it actually requires a four-year college degree to become a sales representative. You will need to be very familiar with different medical devices and equipments. However, the exact training requirements can vary greatly from one employer to another, as some of them may even go a step further and ask you to have an MBA in the field as well. This is perfectly understandable, given the fact that every medical device sales representative must be familiar with all the basic business principles.
At the same time, it is highly recommended to apply for what is known as a NAMSR certificate, or the National Association of Medical Sales Representatives. Some of the employees may consider the NAMSR certificate the equivalent to the four-year college degree, while some of them may even regard it as superior to it. However, the certification shows that you have all the necessary skills and knowledge to work as a medical device sales representative.
Certification Options For Medical Or Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Certification
As described above, there are several different options when it comes to sales certifications in the field. They do increase your job opportunities and your salary, and they also help you diversify your client base.
Medical Device Sales Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A medical device sales representative who works in Canada should expect a median yearly wage that revolves around Cad$45,000-Cad$50,000 a year, while an Australian one makes around Au$65,000. Also, a medical device sales representative who works in the United Kingdom makes around 45,000 pounds a year.
The bottom line is that medical device sales representatives can get a very generous paycheck at the end of the month, if they are truly committed to their job!