Medical device sales representatives are professionals who sale different devices that are commonly used in the medical field, from enzyme kits and needles to pacemakers and all the other types of supplies that are absolutely vital for doctors. These professionals commonly get in touch with hospital managers and physicians, presenting them the benefits of all these products.
Throughout the course of their career, medical device sale representatives can choose to specialize in one medical field, or they can sell devices to dermatologists, obstetricians, cardiologists, paediatric doctors and such. The median yearly wage of a medical device sales representative in the United States is of around $80,000, although these professionals can make as much as $150,000 in some areas.
Pay Scale In Different Areas Of The United States
It often happens that scientific and medical device sales representatives tend to earn more money than their counterparts who sell other devices. For example, one of the highest paying states for these professionals is Idaho, where medical device sales representatives should expect to earn as much as $120,000 a year. After that, the states of Wyoming and New Jersey also pay their medical device sales representatives salaries of around $100,000 a year, which are considerably over the national average. South Dakota rewards them with around $130,000 a year.
Medical Device Sales Representative Job Description
As you may have figured out from the name of the profession already, these professionals sell different tools and devices that are of utmost importance in the medical industry. The medical industry is continuously growing and expanding, and so is the need for high end medical devices. They can sell different medical equipments or biomedical implants used by cardiologists, dentists or orthopedic surgeons.
It is the duty of the medical device sales representative to seek and approach new clients, trying to emphasize on the benefits, features and functions of the product they are trying to sell. In other words, these professionals do the same job as regular sales persons, the only difference is that they specialize in medical equipment. They also need to keep in touch with all the existing customers, to balance all the tasks and to ensure the best possible customer service. Some of them may need to deal with different administrative tasks as well.
In spite of being a very rewarding job, one of the downsides of working as a medical device sales representative is the fact that you will need to be a lot of time outside in the field, to call people and to advertise your product. You will also need to set different appointments, to sent out quotes and proposals and such.
How To Become A Medical Device Sales Representative?
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- BS in Business Administration - Sales Management
- MBA - Marketing
- BS in Business Administration - Marketing
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- DBA in Marketing
- Master of Business Administration: Marketing
- MS in Marketing: Sports Marketing and Media
- And more...
- Boldly pursue your future in business with an online degree from Post University
- Degrees at all levels with concentrations in Finance, Marketing, and much more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- B.S. in Business Administration / Marketing
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- A.S. in Marketing
- And more...
- Our top-ranking program blends modern business theory with real-world experience
- Institutionally accredited by SACSCOC with ACBSP graduate business program accreditation
- High-quality, Christ-centered education with online and select on-campus & evening courses
- Qualifying bachelor's students can transfer up to 90 credit hours into their degree program
- 86% of Regent students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- Bachelor of Science in Business - Marketing
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.B.A.: Marketing
- B.S. in Marketing and Advertising
At SNHU, we believe everyone should have greater access to higher education. That’s why we offer over 200 accredited degree programs, flexible class schedules, and some of the lowest online tuition rates in the nation. We offer military tuition discounts up to 30% toward online undergraduate and graduate degree programs for U.S. service members, both full and part time, and the spouses of those on active duty.
- BS Business Administration w/ Concentration in Marketing
- BS Marketing
- MS Marketing with concentration in Digital Marketing
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Marketing - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Marketing - MBA
- Marketing - D.B.A.
You may think that working as a medical device sales representative only requires a bit of sales training and skill, but it actually requires a four-year college degree to become a sales representative. You will need to be very familiar with different medical devices and equipments. However, the exact training requirements can vary greatly from one employer to another, as some of them may even go a step further and ask you to have an MBA in the field as well. This is perfectly understandable, given the fact that every medical device sales representative must be familiar with all the basic business principles.
At the same time, it is highly recommended to apply for what is known as a NAMSR certificate, or the National Association of Medical Sales Representatives. Some of the employees may consider the NAMSR certificate the equivalent to the four-year college degree, while some of them may even regard it as superior to it. However, the certification shows that you have all the necessary skills and knowledge to work as a medical device sales representative.
Certification Options For Medical Or Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Certification
As described above, there are several different options when it comes to sales certifications in the field. They do increase your job opportunities and your salary, and they also help you diversify your client base.
Medical Device Sales Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A medical device sales representative who works in Canada should expect a median yearly wage that revolves around Cad$45,000-Cad$50,000 a year, while an Australian one makes around Au$65,000. Also, a medical device sales representative who works in the United Kingdom makes around 45,000 pounds a year.
The bottom line is that medical device sales representatives can get a very generous paycheck at the end of the month, if they are truly committed to their job!