OR nurses, most commonly known as operating room nurses in the medical field, are skilled health care providers who work in the operating room close to doctors, physicians and other members of the medical team. These professionals perform a variety of different medical tasks, and they assist the patient both before the surgery and after the surgery.
At the time being, OR nurses can choose to specialize in one of the numerous subfields available in the area: they can become scrub nurses or they can work in other surgical units. The median yearly wage of an OR nurse in the United States of America is of around $69,000 a year, although this depends a lot on the experience and the geographical location of the professional.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
In Alaska, operating room nurses get a median yearly wage of around $81,000 a year, while those from Arizona get paid with approximately $71,000 a year. Alabama, on the other hand, tends to pay OR nurses a median wage that is above the national average, of just $55,000. One of the highest paying states for operating room nurses (and for most of the other health care professionals, for that matter) is the state of California, where OR nurses are paid with $94,000 a year.
OR Nurse Job Description
As the name of this medical position suggests, OR nurses work in the operative room. Also referred to as perioperative nurses, OR nurses can work as circulating nurses, RNFAs or scrub nurses, or they can opt for any other position. Operating room nurses have a series of different tasks and responsibilities, from evaluating the patients before entering the operating room to monitoring them during surgery and then implementing nursing care standards after the surgical procedure.
These health care providers must be certified as registered nurses in order to work in the medical field, and they should be familiar with the notions of surgical asepsis. Given the fact that OR nurses work closely with doctors, physicians and other members of the medical team, it is extremely important for them to be familiar with all the surgical instruments and to handle them correctly.
How To Become An Operating Room Nurse?
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- And more...
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- BecomeANurseOnline.com - 100% Online/Campus Nursing Diploma Programs Available
- Are You Ready to Start Earning Your Nursing Degree in 2018? Find Affordable and Flexible CNA Programs Here!
- Answer a Few Questions to Get Free Info on Online or Campus CNA Programs Within Minutes
- Choose from Diploma, Associate, and Certificate Level Nursing Degree Options
- Get Matched to Nursing Programs Today—It's Fast, Easy, and Free!
As described above, an OR nurse deals with patients before the surgery and after the surgery. It is their duty to ensure both the emotional and the mental well-being of the patient, and to address all their fears and anxieties, if there are any. If you are decided to become an operating room nurse while still in high school, then it is highly recommended to become familiar with all the needed prerequisites before enrolling in a Bachelor’s Degree program. You may need to complete courses in chemistry, physiology or anatomy before enrolling in a four-year Bachelor’s Degree training program.
After you have completed the Bachelor’s Degree program, it is important to enroll in the registered nursing program. Throughout the course of the training, you may need to enroll in additional programs, as OR nurses must have a certification in CPR, or cardiopulmonary resuscitation. The program takes around 24 months to complete.
The practical, hands-on experience is at least as important as the theoretical training for operating room nurses, and they must have at least 2,000 documented hours of practical work in an acute care setting, where they will get familiar with the fact pace associated with the operating room and/or the emergency room.
It is highly recommended for operating room nurses to consider pursuing a certification in the field. For that, they need to pass the OR nurse certification exam and they may need to undergo continuing education hours after that, in order to maintain their credentials active. The license or certification may have to be renewed once every five years. The certification for perioperative nurses is called CNOR, and at the time being there are well-over 30,000 certified operating room nurses in the United States of America.
OR Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
In Canada, operating room nurses get around Ca$34,00 per hour, while in Australia they make around Au$40,000 a year. In the United Kingdom, these health care professionals make around 26,000 pounds per year.
Verdict On OR Nurse Salary
To conclude, operating room nurses will have to adapt to a fast paced environment and to keep up with various stressful situations, but the salary is certainly very motivating.