OR nurses, most commonly known as operating room nurses in the medical field, are skilled health care providers who work in the operating room close to doctors, physicians and other members of the medical team. These professionals perform a variety of different medical tasks, and they assist the patient both before the surgery and after the surgery.
At the time being, OR nurses can choose to specialize in one of the numerous subfields available in the area: they can become scrub nurses or they can work in other surgical units. The median yearly wage of an OR nurse in the United States of America is of around $69,000 a year, although this depends a lot on the experience and the geographical location of the professional.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
In Alaska, operating room nurses get a median yearly wage of around $81,000 a year, while those from Arizona get paid with approximately $71,000 a year. Alabama, on the other hand, tends to pay OR nurses a median wage that is above the national average, of just $55,000. One of the highest paying states for operating room nurses (and for most of the other health care professionals, for that matter) is the state of California, where OR nurses are paid with $94,000 a year.
OR Nurse Job Description
As the name of this medical position suggests, OR nurses work in the operative room. Also referred to as perioperative nurses, OR nurses can work as circulating nurses, RNFAs or scrub nurses, or they can opt for any other position. Operating room nurses have a series of different tasks and responsibilities, from evaluating the patients before entering the operating room to monitoring them during surgery and then implementing nursing care standards after the surgical procedure.
These health care providers must be certified as registered nurses in order to work in the medical field, and they should be familiar with the notions of surgical asepsis. Given the fact that OR nurses work closely with doctors, physicians and other members of the medical team, it is extremely important for them to be familiar with all the surgical instruments and to handle them correctly.
How To Become An Operating Room Nurse?
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MSN: Health Policy
- MSN: Community Health
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from the Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences in as few as 20 months. As a student, you will attend live online classes and gain clinical experience at sites in or near your community, secured with the assistance of a dedicated clinical placement team. Accredited by CCNE, the program offers part-time and full-time options to prepare you for certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Designed by RNs for RNs
Chamberlain’s RN to BSN option offers convenient 100% online coursework, no mandatory login times and no campus visits. This flexible framework allows you to continue in your current role while you pursue your degree. And, because the curriculum is developed and taught by RNs who are also educators, you know you are learning what you need to push your skills forward now – and in the future.
- RN to BSN Online Option
As described above, an OR nurse deals with patients before the surgery and after the surgery. It is their duty to ensure both the emotional and the mental well-being of the patient, and to address all their fears and anxieties, if there are any. If you are decided to become an operating room nurse while still in high school, then it is highly recommended to become familiar with all the needed prerequisites before enrolling in a Bachelor’s Degree program. You may need to complete courses in chemistry, physiology or anatomy before enrolling in a four-year Bachelor’s Degree training program.
After you have completed the Bachelor’s Degree program, it is important to enroll in the registered nursing program. Throughout the course of the training, you may need to enroll in additional programs, as OR nurses must have a certification in CPR, or cardiopulmonary resuscitation. The program takes around 24 months to complete.
The practical, hands-on experience is at least as important as the theoretical training for operating room nurses, and they must have at least 2,000 documented hours of practical work in an acute care setting, where they will get familiar with the fact pace associated with the operating room and/or the emergency room.
It is highly recommended for operating room nurses to consider pursuing a certification in the field. For that, they need to pass the OR nurse certification exam and they may need to undergo continuing education hours after that, in order to maintain their credentials active. The license or certification may have to be renewed once every five years. The certification for perioperative nurses is called CNOR, and at the time being there are well-over 30,000 certified operating room nurses in the United States of America.
OR Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
In Canada, operating room nurses get around Ca$34,00 per hour, while in Australia they make around Au$40,000 a year. In the United Kingdom, these health care professionals make around 26,000 pounds per year.
Verdict On OR Nurse Salary
To conclude, operating room nurses will have to adapt to a fast paced environment and to keep up with various stressful situations, but the salary is certainly very motivating.