OR nurses, most commonly known as operating room nurses in the medical field, are skilled health care providers who work in the operating room close to doctors, physicians and other members of the medical team. These professionals perform a variety of different medical tasks, and they assist the patient both before the surgery and after the surgery.
At the time being, OR nurses can choose to specialize in one of the numerous subfields available in the area: they can become scrub nurses or they can work in other surgical units. The median yearly wage of an OR nurse in the United States of America is of around $69,000 a year, although this depends a lot on the experience and the geographical location of the professional.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
In Alaska, operating room nurses get a median yearly wage of around $81,000 a year, while those from Arizona get paid with approximately $71,000 a year. Alabama, on the other hand, tends to pay OR nurses a median wage that is above the national average, of just $55,000. One of the highest paying states for operating room nurses (and for most of the other health care professionals, for that matter) is the state of California, where OR nurses are paid with $94,000 a year.
OR Nurse Job Description
As the name of this medical position suggests, OR nurses work in the operative room. Also referred to as perioperative nurses, OR nurses can work as circulating nurses, RNFAs or scrub nurses, or they can opt for any other position. Operating room nurses have a series of different tasks and responsibilities, from evaluating the patients before entering the operating room to monitoring them during surgery and then implementing nursing care standards after the surgical procedure.
These health care providers must be certified as registered nurses in order to work in the medical field, and they should be familiar with the notions of surgical asepsis. Given the fact that OR nurses work closely with doctors, physicians and other members of the medical team, it is extremely important for them to be familiar with all the surgical instruments and to handle them correctly.
How To Become An Operating Room Nurse?
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Practical Nursing
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Medical Assistant Associate's Degree
- Medical Assistant Diploma
As described above, an OR nurse deals with patients before the surgery and after the surgery. It is their duty to ensure both the emotional and the mental well-being of the patient, and to address all their fears and anxieties, if there are any. If you are decided to become an operating room nurse while still in high school, then it is highly recommended to become familiar with all the needed prerequisites before enrolling in a Bachelor’s Degree program. You may need to complete courses in chemistry, physiology or anatomy before enrolling in a four-year Bachelor’s Degree training program.
After you have completed the Bachelor’s Degree program, it is important to enroll in the registered nursing program. Throughout the course of the training, you may need to enroll in additional programs, as OR nurses must have a certification in CPR, or cardiopulmonary resuscitation. The program takes around 24 months to complete.
The practical, hands-on experience is at least as important as the theoretical training for operating room nurses, and they must have at least 2,000 documented hours of practical work in an acute care setting, where they will get familiar with the fact pace associated with the operating room and/or the emergency room.
It is highly recommended for operating room nurses to consider pursuing a certification in the field. For that, they need to pass the OR nurse certification exam and they may need to undergo continuing education hours after that, in order to maintain their credentials active. The license or certification may have to be renewed once every five years. The certification for perioperative nurses is called CNOR, and at the time being there are well-over 30,000 certified operating room nurses in the United States of America.
OR Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
In Canada, operating room nurses get around Ca$34,00 per hour, while in Australia they make around Au$40,000 a year. In the United Kingdom, these health care professionals make around 26,000 pounds per year.
Verdict On OR Nurse Salary
To conclude, operating room nurses will have to adapt to a fast paced environment and to keep up with various stressful situations, but the salary is certainly very motivating.