OR nurses, most commonly known as operating room nurses in the medical field, are skilled health care providers who work in the operating room close to doctors, physicians and other members of the medical team. These professionals perform a variety of different medical tasks, and they assist the patient both before the surgery and after the surgery.
At the time being, OR nurses can choose to specialize in one of the numerous subfields available in the area: they can become scrub nurses or they can work in other surgical units. The median yearly wage of an OR nurse in the United States of America is of around $69,000 a year, although this depends a lot on the experience and the geographical location of the professional.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
In Alaska, operating room nurses get a median yearly wage of around $81,000 a year, while those from Arizona get paid with approximately $71,000 a year. Alabama, on the other hand, tends to pay OR nurses a median wage that is above the national average, of just $55,000. One of the highest paying states for operating room nurses (and for most of the other health care professionals, for that matter) is the state of California, where OR nurses are paid with $94,000 a year.
OR Nurse Job Description
As the name of this medical position suggests, OR nurses work in the operative room. Also referred to as perioperative nurses, OR nurses can work as circulating nurses, RNFAs or scrub nurses, or they can opt for any other position. Operating room nurses have a series of different tasks and responsibilities, from evaluating the patients before entering the operating room to monitoring them during surgery and then implementing nursing care standards after the surgical procedure.
These health care providers must be certified as registered nurses in order to work in the medical field, and they should be familiar with the notions of surgical asepsis. Given the fact that OR nurses work closely with doctors, physicians and other members of the medical team, it is extremely important for them to be familiar with all the surgical instruments and to handle them correctly.
How To Become An Operating Room Nurse?
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing: Nursing Education
- Our Healthcare programs prepare graduates for a booming Healthcare industry allowing them to apply their classroom knowledge in our simulation labs during educational scenarios and training exercises.
- The Bachelor of Science in Nursing completion program (RN to BSN) expands knowledge in areas of research, theory, leadership, community concepts, healthcare policy and current trends in healthcare.
- The RN to BSN program is specifically designed for students to increase their understanding of advanced nursing roles. A Registered Nurse (RN) License is required prior to admitance to this program.
- The Master of Science in Nursing Education (MSN) is uniquely focused on nursing education. This program fosters independent learning and cultivates an in-depth understanding.
- Students learn to implement nursing course curriculum using evidence-based practice throughout the duration of the MSN program while engaging in scholarly work, research and teaching practicum.
- At Hallmark University, we designed our simulation labs and facilities to look and feel just like a hospital and modern healthcare environments.
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Master of Science - Nursing Education
As described above, an OR nurse deals with patients before the surgery and after the surgery. It is their duty to ensure both the emotional and the mental well-being of the patient, and to address all their fears and anxieties, if there are any. If you are decided to become an operating room nurse while still in high school, then it is highly recommended to become familiar with all the needed prerequisites before enrolling in a Bachelor’s Degree program. You may need to complete courses in chemistry, physiology or anatomy before enrolling in a four-year Bachelor’s Degree training program.
After you have completed the Bachelor’s Degree program, it is important to enroll in the registered nursing program. Throughout the course of the training, you may need to enroll in additional programs, as OR nurses must have a certification in CPR, or cardiopulmonary resuscitation. The program takes around 24 months to complete.
The practical, hands-on experience is at least as important as the theoretical training for operating room nurses, and they must have at least 2,000 documented hours of practical work in an acute care setting, where they will get familiar with the fact pace associated with the operating room and/or the emergency room.
It is highly recommended for operating room nurses to consider pursuing a certification in the field. For that, they need to pass the OR nurse certification exam and they may need to undergo continuing education hours after that, in order to maintain their credentials active. The license or certification may have to be renewed once every five years. The certification for perioperative nurses is called CNOR, and at the time being there are well-over 30,000 certified operating room nurses in the United States of America.
OR Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
In Canada, operating room nurses get around Ca$34,00 per hour, while in Australia they make around Au$40,000 a year. In the United Kingdom, these health care professionals make around 26,000 pounds per year.
Verdict On OR Nurse Salary
To conclude, operating room nurses will have to adapt to a fast paced environment and to keep up with various stressful situations, but the salary is certainly very motivating.