Opticians are professionals who work in the eye care industry, and their main job duty is to carefully fit the patient with contact lenses or eyeglasses. Opticians read the prescriptions provided by ophthalmologists or optometrists and they come up with the best instruments for correcting vision. Also, it is the duty of the optician to carefully take the precise requirements for the glasses, to bend or to adjust the frames whenever needed and to assist the clients when selecting the most suitable type of glasses for their face and style. The salary of an optician can vary greatly across the different states of the US, but on average, these professionals make around $33,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Areas Of The United States of America
The highest paying state for opticians is certainly Connecticut, where these professionals make as much as $52,000 a year, followed by Massachusetts with around $49,000 a year and New Jersey with little over $49,000 a year. Another notable state where opticians get a rewarding salary is New York, where they make as much as $45,000 a year, followed by Hawaii with around $42,000 and Rhode Island with just under $40,000 a year.
Optician Job Description
Opticians are essential in the vision care industry, as they come into direct contact with the customers and their attitude can either attract or push the customers away. Simply put, the optician must guide the patient through the entire process of selecting and fitting the eyeglasses. This is why it is essential for a good optician to have good communication and interpersonal skills, to be pleasant and sociable and to always try to rise to the expectations of patients.
As mentioned above, opticians specialize in both contact lenses and eyeglasses, and they provide a high level of eye care. It is the duty of the optician to make sure that the newly chosen pair of eyeglasses is not only medically suitable for the patient, but it is also in accordance with the latest modern fashion trends, if that is what the patient requires. Amongst the most notable duties and requirements, the optician must carefully read the prescriptions provided by optometrists and ophthalmologists and interpret them accordingly, to take eye measurements such as the thickness and the width of the eye cornea, and to help clients choose the best tints, coatings and frames for their eyeglasses.
It is also the duty of the optician to carefully repair broken frames and to adjust the eyeglasses in such a way that they perfectly fit the face of the wearer. Moreover, opticians also deal with educating the clients on how to choose the right contact lenses and eyeglasses, they also keep track of the prescriptions and the orders and they perform regular inventories.
How To Become An Optician?
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
The first and most important step towards becoming an optician is making sure that you have a high school diploma or a GED. Then it is important to enroll in an Associate’s Degree training program in opticianry, which typically takes 24 years of study and training. Throughout the course of the training, you will understand the basics of optical physics, algebra and trigonometry, you will understand the anatomy of the eye and how eyeglasses and contact lenses work for correcting the vision.
Moreover, you will also become familiar with different precision measuring techniques and equipments. An apprenticeship is also highly recommended, and it is recommended to work close to an already licensed optician for two to four years. Throughout this period of training, you will enjoy on the job training and you will get all the hands-on experience that you need.
Nowadays, most of the opticians who work in the United States of America choose to get either licensed or certified, although the exact requirements can vary greatly from one state to another. The state licenses are issued after passing both a practical and a written examination, and the eligibility requirements do vary greatly from one US state to another. Most of the time, getting a license or a certification as an optician requires either an apprenticeship between 24 and 48 months, or an Associate’s Degree in the field. The certification can be provided either by the National Contact Lens Examiners or by the American Board of Opticianry.
Optician Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, an optician usually makes around $C19 per hour, while the median yearly wage of an optician who works in Australia ranges between Au$50,000 and Au$70,000 a year. At the same time, an optician who works in the UK should expect to make between 25,000 and 35,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Optician Salary
To conclude, the salary of an optician may not be the most rewarding one, but if you want to work in the eye care industry without enrolling in lengthy and time-consuming training programs, then this might be a good choice.