Orthotists are professionals who interview patients, assess their medical condition and then determine their needs for orthotics or prosthetics. These professionals use different materials to design, mold and adjust the orthotic devices, and in some cases they use plaster casting or laser imaging to get clear and concise measurements of the patients.
It is important for the orthotist to carefully select the most suitable material for the orthotics device, according to the needs and requirements of each patient. The average yearly salary of an orthotist ranges between $56,000 and $84,000 a year, in the United States of America. However, it is not uncommon for some of these professionals to make over $90,000 a year, in some parts of the US.
Pay Scale In Different Areas Of The United States of America
Iowa is currently considered the highest paying state for orthotists and prosthetists, as these professionals can make more than $94,000 a year here. The second highest paying state is New Hampshire, with an average of $87,000 a year, followed by Connecticut with no less than $82,000. The fourth highest paying state in the US is Indiana, where orthotists can make around $81,000, followed by Texas with $80,000.
Orthotist Job Description
It is the duty of the orthotist to design and create different medical supportive appliances and devices, and on order to do that, the orthotist must firstly take the measurements of the patient in order to make sure that the devices fit perfectly. These orthoses are usually designed for patients who suffer from severe injuries, deformities or disorders, and it often happens that orthotists are also trained as prosthetists (which means that they have some experience with creating and fitting prostheses for replacing lost limbs).
An orthotist works in hospitals, colleges and clinics, and some of them are hired by private companies or have their own private practice. Also, these health care providers design orthopedic braces and corrective shoes designed to improve the walking of the patient. They can create artificial legs, hands, feet and arms, and they also review the medical records of the patients along with interviewing them in order to get a better understanding of their medical needs and personal preferences.
The orthotist has many duties and responsibilities, and taking the measurements of the patient in order to design the custom-made appliances is only one of them. Also, these professionals select the most suitable material for the orthoses, fabricate the orthoses devices and then place them on the patient’s body. The orthotist also conducts a series of tests to make sure that the newly created orthoses and prosthesis match the patient.
How To Become An Orthotist?
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Practical Nursing
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Allied Health Management
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Billing & Coding
- Pharmacy Technician
- Veterinary Assistant
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Respiratory Therapy
Ultimate Medical Academy Educates Future Healthcare Professionals
You bring your goals and motivation to UMA, and we will provide you the education and the support to help make you a success! Even if you haven’t been serious about your career before, we can help boost your confidence and prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Billing & Coding
- And more...
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
If you plan to become a reputable orthotist, then it is highly recommended to pursue the necessary training starting with high school. High school students should focus on biology, physics, chemistry, physiology and anatomy classes, and they should also get a deeper insight into different medical professions. After that they can enroll in med school, and after four years of study they will get a Bachelor’s Degree in prosthetics and orthotics. The coursework during med school is quite complex, as it will cover different fields like biomechanics, diagnostic imaging methods, pathology, research techniques, kinesiology, post-operative care and many others.
Practical, hands-on experience also plays a crucial role in the life of an orthotist, as these professionals need to complete a one-year internship under the close supervision of an already established O&P Professional. After the Internship, the med students can enroll in a Master’s Degree program that specializes in orthotics, and these programs also combine clinical experience with theoretical training.
License and/or certification is required in order to practice as an orthotist in the United States of America. In addition to the Bachelor and/or Master’s Degree in the field, you need to complete a one-year residency period in order to be eligible for the state board exam. The eligibility requirements can vary from one state to another, and the final certification is offered by the American Board for Certification in Prosthetics and Orthotics.
Orthotist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Australia, the average yearly salary of an orthotist is between Au$50,000 and Au77,000, while in Canada these specialist should expect a median yearly wage of around CA$67,000. At the same time, in the United Kingdom an orthotist can make between 21,000 and 27,000 pounds.
Verdict On Orthotist Salary
To conclude, becoming an orthotist requires considerably less time and training. Also, this is not as stressful as other medical professions and the salary is very motivating as well, overall.