Orthotists and prosthetists work in the same field of activity, as they both deal with manufacturing and adjusting different types of prosthesis. Generally speaking, it is the duty of the prosthetist to meet with the patients and discuss their requirements, and then to fit, mold and properly design either the prosthetic or the orthotic device. They can use plaster casting and other types of high-quality, advanced and precise techniques to obtain exact measurements, and then use state of the art materials for creating durable prosthetic devices. The median yearly wages of a prosthetist in the United States of America varies between $56,000 and $84,000.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
One of the highest paying states for prosthetists in the United States of America is Iowa, where these professionals get around $95,000 a year, followed by New Hampshire with over $87,000 a year, Connecticut with just over $82,000 on a yearly basis and Indiana with little over $80,000. On the other hand, the states of New York and Rhode Island also offer prosthetists median yearly wages of around $77,000 a year.
Prosthetist Job Description
Just like orthotists, the prosthetists have the duty of providing advice and efficient care to those who require a prosthesis, commonly referred to as an artificial limb. The device can either control or support a part o the body, and the prosthetist usually works with patients who have lost either one or more limbs, due to disease or a severe accident or trauma. In some cases, patients can be born without one or more limbs – this is where the prosthetist professional steps in and creates a device designed to look and work as close to the natural limb as possible.
Prosthetists work with patients of all ages, and they can be found either in private clinics or in public hospitals. It is their duty to use their skills and knowledge in order to come up with a clawless prosthesis, and the first step is to make a mold of the area where the prosthesis will be fitted later on. They also offer high-quality, personalized advice to patients according to both their individual needs and the personal preferences and requirements of the patient.
Prosthetists are an important part of the medical team, and it often happens that they worl closely with other health care professionals from their field of activity, from occupational therapists, doctors and nurses to orthotists and prosthetic technicians, in order to provide the patient with the best rehabilitation services possible. With the help of the prosthetist, the patient can lead a life that is close to normal, or even normal.
How To Become A Prosthetist?
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
- The Fortis Dental Assistant program teaches skills through hands-on experience
- Students will be shown how to work chair-side as dentists examine & treat patients
- All Fortis colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or others
- Fortis has a dedicated team in place to support US military students
- Provides guidance & assistance to students exploring their financial aid options
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assistant Technician (Associate in Specialized Technology Degree)
- And more...
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- BS in Health and Wellness
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- BS Respiratory Therapy - Post-Licensure
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
The rules and regulations have changed greatly over the past several years, and if at first these professionals originally needed a Bachelor’s Degree in order to make a name for themselves in the field, they now have to possess at least a Master’s Degree in the field. In other words, if you have decided to pursue a medical career and become a prosthetist, then it is highly recommended to pursue a Master’s Program in what is known as the Science in Prosthetics and Orthotics. The coursework is very complex, but the Master’s Programs in the field typically cover fields like prosthetics, prosthetic management, different orthotics materials, neuroanatomy, neuroscience, anatomy, physiology and such.
While some states to require all their prosthetists to be certified in order to work legally, others recommend the certification as purely optional. In order to get certified, you will need to have a Master’s Degree in the field as well as to meet all the clinical residency requirements. Only after that you can sit for the ABC practitioner certification exam that is administered by the American Board for Certification in Prosthetics, Orthotics and Pedorthics.
Prosthetist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A certified prosthetist who works in Canada should expect to make between CAD$40,000 and as much as CAD$70,000, while one from Australia should expect a median yearly wage that revolves around the sum of Au$50,000. On the other hand, prosthetists who work in the United Kingdom usually earn between 30,000 and as much as 50,000 a year.
Verdict On Prosthetist Salary
To conclude, the yearly salary of a prosthetist is very close to that of a six figure income, and the job outlook is excellent in most US states as well.