In spite of the fact that psychoanalysis is still a relatively new subject that was introduced towards the end of the 20th century by the renowned Sigmund Freud, psychoanalysts are very sought-after these days. Simply put, psychoanalysis is the subject that studies the conversations that take place between the analyst and the patient.
This can take the form of psychological therapy, and the purpose of psychoanalysis is to pinpoint the mental factors located in the subconscious mind and to see how they influence various emotional, psychological or behavioral issues. The salary of a psychoanalyst varies greatly these days, as these professionals can earn anything between $60,000 and as much as $190,000 per year, in the United States of America.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
Some of the highest paying states for psychoanalysts these days are California, Rhode Island, Ohio and New Jersey, where these professionals should expect to make as much as $92,000 a year, o average. The median yearly salaries for psychoanalysts in the states of New York and Massachusetts, two of the states with the highest number of such professionals, vary greatly between $60,000 and $80,000.
Psychoanalyst Job Description
The duties and responsibilities of the psychoanalyst are many, as these professionals aim to help patients understand why they act and feel the way they do. Nowadays, psychoanalysts work in a variety of different settings, from clinics and private practices to schools, health care facilities as well as businesses and government agencies. The purpose of a skilled and trained psychotherapist is to help people overcome dangerous or damaging habits, problems with their personal or emotional life as well as stress caused by work or other factors.
Psychoanalysts can take different forms these days, as they can choose to work as a mental health nurse, a psychologist, a psychiatrist or a social worker, for instance. Regardless of the chosen profession, these specialists must undergo thorough, in-depth training in the field of psychotherapy. Simply put, there are two different types of psychoanalysts at the moment: the adult psychoanalysts who work exclusively with adult patients and the child psychoanalysts who usually work with minors.
On the other hand, it is not uncommon to see psychoanalysts who work as counselors, usually as family and marriage counselors who dedicate their life and work to helping couples and married couples overcome their sexual or emotional problems. Psychoanalysts can treat a wide array of different problems, from bipolarity and stress disorder to different obsessions and even the most severe forms of depression. On average, a psychoanalysis session lasts for about 60 minutes during which the professional asks the patient a series of questions in order to closely examine their thoughts, fantasies as well as behavioral pattern. These professionals usually have in-depth training in different fields that are commonly associated with psychoanalysis, such as cognitive psychoanalysis, hypnotherapy and such.
How To Become A Psychoanalyst?
- Work in the fascinating and rewarding field of psychology - earn your bachelor's or master's degree online with Grand Canyon University.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences promotes research, creativity, ethical formation and inquiry through critical, analytical and interdisciplinary study.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's in psychology degrees combine academic theory with practical application.
- Gain a comprehensive study of human behavior within a Christian values-oriented environment designed to emphasize compassion and ethics.
- Join a values-based community surrounded by compassion, ethics and research on human behavior.
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Health Psychology
- And more...
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Psychology
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Ed.D. Educational Psychology and Technology
- M.A. Psychology
- MA Behavioral Economics
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA in Psychology
- Bachelor of Science: Psychology: Criminal Psychology
- Bachelor of Science: Psychology: Life Coaching
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
Becoming a psychoanalyst can take up to ten years of study and hard work. Even though most of these professionals have only a Bachelor’s Degree and a Master’s Degree in Psychology, some of them choose to take their career further and to get a Ph.D as well.
One thing is for sure: it is very important to enroll in an accredited and reputable psychoanalytical training program provided by an accredited college that is reviewed and approved by the American Psychoanalytic Association. Generally speaking, if you wish to work as a psychoanalyst in the United States of America, you can do that only with a Master’s Degree in a field like clinical social work, counseling or clinical psychology. However, it is highly recommended to choose a field that is closely related to psychotherapy.
Two years of supervised clinical practice are required as well before you have the chance to work full-time as a psychoanalyst, especially if you aim to enroll in a Ph.D psychotherapist education program.
There are different certification options available for psychoanalysts these days, and in order to become certified you will need to sit for what is known as the exam for Professional practice in Psychology. This is a thorough, complex exam that aims to carefully test your skills and knowledge in order to determine whether you are trained enough to work as a psychoanalyst.
Psychoanalyst Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, a psychoanalyst makes around Ca$46,000, while in Australia the median yearly wage of Au$70,000 and in the United Kingdom it typically ranges between 22,000 and 28,000 pounds.
Verdict On Psychoanalyst Salary
To conclude, the salary of a psychoanalyst varies greatly across the US, but it is very rewarding both in the USA and outside of it.