PT assistants are assistants who work closely with physical therapists and help them diagnose and treat a variety of conditions. There are many different factors that affect the median yearly pay of a PT assistant these days, and the location is just one of then. While the 10% lowest paid PT assistants in the United States of America only make little over $30,000 a year, the highest paid ones manage to make as much as $70,000 or even more, especially if they work in a private setting.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
One of the highest paying states for physical therapy assistants is the state of California, with around $64,000 a year, followed by the state of Connecticut with around $62,000 a year and the state of Alaska, with approximately $60,000 a year. The state of Alabama pays its PT assistants a median yearly salary of around $55,000, while Delaware offers them $61,000 a year and Colorado pays them with $51,000. The state of Florida, on the other hand, offers physiotherapy assistants a median salary of around $62,000 a year.
PT Assistant Job Description
The physical therapy assistant is an important part of the medical team, and he works under the direct supervision and indication of a certified physical therapist. These professionals need to implement de treatment plan provided by the physical therapist, and then to keep an eye on the patient to monitor their progress and to ensure their comfort and safety. Physical therapy assistants typically work with patients of all ages, including seniors and children, and it is their duty to work closely with the physical therapist (most commonly known as the physiotherapist) to improve the life quality of the patients.
It is the duty of the PT assistant to provide efficient medical care in order to prevent disability, to restore function and to reduce pain by implementing different fitness programs. These professionals can be found in different work settings, nursing homes, home health agencies, private practices, state owned hospitals and such.
Other notable job duties and responsibilities of the PT assistant include diagnosing and treating various movement dysfunctions and improving the physical abilities of the patient, restoring and maintaining the optimal physical function, preventing impairments and functional limitations and such. These professionals need to undergo extensive formal training that will eventually result in an Associate’s Degree.
How To Become A PT Assistant?
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Massage Therapy Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Massage Therapy
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Respiratory Therapy
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
One of the greatest advantages of becoming a PT assistant is the fact that you only need a high school diploma or an equivalent in order to enroll in an institution of higher education that specializes in physical therapy. It is important to enroll in a school or program that has an accredited PT assistant degree, as these training programs typically last for two years. After that, you need to study hard and to attend courses in pathology, anatomy, medical terminology as well as therapy exercises, and at the end of the training you will be awarded the degree that will help you in your career as a physical therapist assistant.
The clinical practicum training is equally important, as it will take place under the close supervision of a licensed physical therapist. Once you have completed both the theoretical and the practical training, you will be able to apply for the state license and then even for a national certification that is provided by the American Physical Therapy Association, commonly known as APTA. Even after obtaining the degrees and the certification, it is extremely important to take continuing education credits on a yearly basis in order to maintain your certification valid in the state where you work.
In order to be eligible for the certification as a physical therapist assistant, it is very important to have completed the two-year associate’s degree training program in the field, and to meet all the medical science requirements that apply. It is important to also have a solid expertise in fields like psychology, chemistry, biology, medical terminology, physiology and anatomy.
Physical Therapy Assistant Salary in Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, the median yearly wage of a PT assistant is of around Ca$40,000, in Australia is of approximately Au$61,000 while in the United Kingdom these professionals can earn a median wage that varies anywhere between 14,000 and 17,000 pounds.
Verdict On PT Assistant Salary
To conclude, the salary of a physical therapist assistant can turn out to be very rewarding in the long run.