PT assistants are assistants who work closely with physical therapists and help them diagnose and treat a variety of conditions. There are many different factors that affect the median yearly pay of a PT assistant these days, and the location is just one of then. While the 10% lowest paid PT assistants in the United States of America only make little over $30,000 a year, the highest paid ones manage to make as much as $70,000 or even more, especially if they work in a private setting.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
One of the highest paying states for physical therapy assistants is the state of California, with around $64,000 a year, followed by the state of Connecticut with around $62,000 a year and the state of Alaska, with approximately $60,000 a year. The state of Alabama pays its PT assistants a median yearly salary of around $55,000, while Delaware offers them $61,000 a year and Colorado pays them with $51,000. The state of Florida, on the other hand, offers physiotherapy assistants a median salary of around $62,000 a year.
PT Assistant Job Description
The physical therapy assistant is an important part of the medical team, and he works under the direct supervision and indication of a certified physical therapist. These professionals need to implement de treatment plan provided by the physical therapist, and then to keep an eye on the patient to monitor their progress and to ensure their comfort and safety. Physical therapy assistants typically work with patients of all ages, including seniors and children, and it is their duty to work closely with the physical therapist (most commonly known as the physiotherapist) to improve the life quality of the patients.
It is the duty of the PT assistant to provide efficient medical care in order to prevent disability, to restore function and to reduce pain by implementing different fitness programs. These professionals can be found in different work settings, nursing homes, home health agencies, private practices, state owned hospitals and such.
Other notable job duties and responsibilities of the PT assistant include diagnosing and treating various movement dysfunctions and improving the physical abilities of the patient, restoring and maintaining the optimal physical function, preventing impairments and functional limitations and such. These professionals need to undergo extensive formal training that will eventually result in an Associate’s Degree.
How To Become A PT Assistant?
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
- Respiratory Therapy
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
One of the greatest advantages of becoming a PT assistant is the fact that you only need a high school diploma or an equivalent in order to enroll in an institution of higher education that specializes in physical therapy. It is important to enroll in a school or program that has an accredited PT assistant degree, as these training programs typically last for two years. After that, you need to study hard and to attend courses in pathology, anatomy, medical terminology as well as therapy exercises, and at the end of the training you will be awarded the degree that will help you in your career as a physical therapist assistant.
The clinical practicum training is equally important, as it will take place under the close supervision of a licensed physical therapist. Once you have completed both the theoretical and the practical training, you will be able to apply for the state license and then even for a national certification that is provided by the American Physical Therapy Association, commonly known as APTA. Even after obtaining the degrees and the certification, it is extremely important to take continuing education credits on a yearly basis in order to maintain your certification valid in the state where you work.
In order to be eligible for the certification as a physical therapist assistant, it is very important to have completed the two-year associate’s degree training program in the field, and to meet all the medical science requirements that apply. It is important to also have a solid expertise in fields like psychology, chemistry, biology, medical terminology, physiology and anatomy.
Physical Therapy Assistant Salary in Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, the median yearly wage of a PT assistant is of around Ca$40,000, in Australia is of approximately Au$61,000 while in the United Kingdom these professionals can earn a median wage that varies anywhere between 14,000 and 17,000 pounds.
Verdict On PT Assistant Salary
To conclude, the salary of a physical therapist assistant can turn out to be very rewarding in the long run.