Substance abuse counselors are trained specialists who offer high-quality, personalized counseling services to patients who are or were addicted to drugs. These counselors can bring a massive contribution to the lives of these people, and the job is very satisfactory overall. These professionals usually help drug addicts overcome crisis and they also assist them with all the long-term management issues that may arise from the drug addiction. However, the duties and responsibilities of the substance abuse counselors usually extend outside the counseling room, as they often help addicts find a job, medical help, support from people who have gone through the same experiences and even a job.
The median yearly salary of a substance abuse counselor in the United States of America is of around $38,000, although some of them were able to make as much as $60,000 a year or even more, depending on the work environment and their geographical location.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
Behavioral disorder and substance abuse counselors are paid differently across the United States of America, and the highest paying state for these professionals is said to be Hawaii, as this is where they make around $56,000 a year. On the second place there is the state of New Jersey where these counselors make around $55,000 a year, followed by the state of Utah with just over $46,000 a year, Wisconsin with over $45,000 a year and the state of Minnesota with around $43,000.
Substance Abuse Counselor Job Description
Nowadays, substance abuse counselors work in a variety of different settings where they provide patients with top-notch counseling services. These professionals can be found in prisons and juvenile detention centers, as well as in state owned hospitals and residential treatment facilities. It often happens that the substance abuse counselors serve as the emotional pillars for those who suffered from a severe drug abuse in the past, and who are likely to pass through an intense emotional crisis. This is why it is extremely important for the substance abuse counselor to show empathy and genuine care. Besides this, the rate for recividism is very high amongst alcohol and drug addicts.
How To Become A Substance Abuse Counselors?
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Discipleship and Church Ministry
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Crisis Response and Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- And more...
- Earn a 100% Online Masters Degrees at ACU
- Take Your Professional Career To The Next Level With An Online Graduate Degree
- Certificate in Medical Family Therapy
- MMFT - Therapy with Military Families
- MMFT - Medical Family Therapy
- And more...
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Psychology (PhD) - Marriage and Family Therapy
- DMFT - Small Business Development and Entrepreneurship
- MAMFT - Medical Family Therapy
- And more...
The formal, academic education plays a pivotal role in the process of becoming a substance abuse counselor these days, although the precise job requirements may vary greatly depending on the employer. Most of these professionals start their career by enrolling in a special counseling program that only requires a high school diploma or an equivalent. That being said, a Bachelor’s Degree or a Master’s Degree in a related field are absolutely essential, in spite of the fact that most substance abuse counselors these days get most of their training on the job, under the close supervision of a more experienced and licensed counselor.
Working as a substance abuse counselor takes a lot more than just education and determination, given the fact that this is a highly demanding position that requires them to have outstanding speaking and listening skills. It is very important for these professionals to be able to connect with their patients, and to stay calm even under the most stressful situations. The substance abuse counselors who choose to work in state owned hospitals and various residential facilities also have great opportunities for advancement, as they can advance to a higher supervisory position although this requires higher education coupled with specialized training.
If you plan to work as a substance abuse counselor in the United States of America, it is important to know that a license or a certification in the field can certainly help you secure your position. In addition to the higher education (you must have at least a Master’s Degree in the field), every substance abuse counselor must also have around three thousand hours of clinical experience, under the care and supervision of a more experienced and licensed counselor. The final barrier between you and your certification is the state exam administered by the NBCC, or the National Board for Certified Counselors.
Substance Abuse Counselor Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
The median hourly pay for a substance abuse counselor in Canada is of Ca$20,00/hour, while in the United Kingdom these professionals should expect to make up to 23,000 pounds a year. In Australia, however, these professionals make between Au$45,000 and Au$55,000 a year.
Verdict On Substance Abuse Counselor Salary
To conclude, substance abuse counselors can get a very motivating salary and the opportunities for advancement are very encouraging as well.