Yoga instructors have become very popular lately, once people have started to realize the physical, mental and emotional benefits of practicing yoga regularly. Yoga instructors can either work with clients individually during one on one sessions, or they can teach to larger groups. These professionals can be found in fitness centers, although they can open their own training centers. The training for becoming a yoga instructors is usually short yet comprehensive, and the median yearly wage for these professionals is of around $35,000 per year. In some cases, these professionals can make as much as $60,000 per year or even more, depending on their employer, their location and their work environment.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
The state of New York is one of the highest paying ones for yoga instructors, mainly because of the high living costs here. In New York, a certified yoga instructor can make as much as $52,000 per year. The second highest paying state in the USA is the District of Columbia, where these professionals make around $49,000, followed by Massachusetts with little over $45,000 a year. The states of California and New Jersey also pay them median salaries that tend to be over the national average.
Yoga Instructor Job Description
Yoga instructors target both the mind and the body of the clients. Yoga has been practiced both by professionals and by amateur enthusiasts for thousands of years, and it originates in certain parts of Asia. The benefits of practicing yoga on a regular basis are many: not only will this improve your flexibility and strength, but it will also help you relax and let off all the stress that has been gathering inside you.
These professionals are responsible with teaching their students all the different toga positions and making sure that they properly use the relaxation and breathing techniques associated with them. It often happens that yoga instructors work with clients individually, in order to develop and implement a personalized training schedule based on the personal needs and demands of each student.
In addition to teaching their students the basic yoga postures and relaxation techniques, these professionals also offer useful tips, hints and advice on the different lifestyle issues that can influence the efficacy of the training. These tips can be on diet and mind control, although they are often aimed at exercising and living a healthy lifestyle, overall.
Generally speaking, yoga instructors prefer to work in quiet and relaxing environments where they are not interrupted by noises or other people – this is precisely the reason why most of the instructors these days choose to open their own private practices, rather than working within a larger fitness center. The self-employed yoga instructors enjoy more financial freedom and their working schedule often tends to be more flexible as well. In some cases, they may work during the weekends as well.
How To Become A Yoga Instructor?
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Bachelor of Science: Nutrition Science
- Sports Marketing and Media, Bachelor of Science
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- AAS in Business Administration - Health Club Operations
- MS Sport Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- MEd - Corporate Wellness
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- Undergraduate Specialization - Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Associate of Arts in Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Management
The first thing you need in order to make a name for yourself as a yoga instructor is a high school diploma. Only after that you can enroll in a specialized training program and train under what is known as the Yoga Alliance, which will offer you the credentials you need in order to practice. The training program typically takes up to 500 practical hours, during which you will learn the basic relaxation and yoga techniques and positions, and you will get a deeper insight into virtually any other yoga-related field.
At the end of the training program, you will have all the necessary skills and knowledge you need in order to sit for the final certification exam and become a certified yoga instructor. A college degree is needed before you sit for the certification exam, and you will also need to become familiar with fields like anatomy, physical education, physiology as well as psychology.
The Yoga Alliance is the organization responsible for certifying Yoga instructors in the United States of America, and the basic requirements include at least 200 training hours, both theoretical and practical hours.
Yoga Instructor Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, yoga instructors make around Cad$55,000, in Australia approximately Au$61,000 while the United Kingdom rewards these professionals with around 30,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Yoga Instructor Salary
Working as a yoga instructor is certainly very pleasant and rewarding in the long run, and the salary is satisfactory as well.