Certified Medical Assistant Salary US
The average yearly salary of certified medical assistants in the United States of America is of $51,000.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
Different states pay their certified medical assistants different hourly rates. The number one highest paying state is California, which pays certified medical assistants with an average of $22 per hour. The second state where these medical professionals have the highest salary is Idaho, which pays them with an average of $21.6 per hour, while Connecticut, Massachusets and New Jersey pay them with around $20 on an hourly basis.
Job Description Of Certified Medical Assistants
The purpose of certified medical assistants if to offer clinical and business office assistants for pediatrists, physicians, chiropractors and other medical professionals. They have a plethora of job duties and responsibilities, from welcoming and greeting the patients to answering phone calls and e-mails, and preparing the patients for the health care visit. Also, it is the duty of the certified medical assistant to verify the patient information and make sure the data is accurate, to take their vital signs and record their medical history as well as to perform basic laboratory tests and to dispose of the contaminated supplies.
These medical professionals also deal with sterilizing all the medical instruments before a surgery, authorizing drug refills and educating all the patients on their diet and medications and answering their questions regarding their overall health status or the condition they are suffering from. This is a demanding job that requires clinical skills, documentation and procedural skills. Also, a certified medical assistant must have impeccable communication skills, must be able to work in a medical team and must plan and make the inventory control on a regular basis.
How To Become A Certified Medical Assistant?
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Billing & Coding
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Practical Nursing
- Pharmacy Technician
- Veterinary Assistant
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Respiratory Therapy
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Becoming a certified medical nurse requires extensive formal education combined with practical hands-on experience. Simply put, future medical assistants can enroll in special educational programs that will offer them a one-year certificate, or they can choose to get extensive, in-depth training in the medical field and opt for the two year Associate’s Degree provided by a reputable and accredited school. Throughout the course, the medical assistants will learn a lot about medical filling, first aid, science, math, pharmacology as well as medical terminology. Their training will culminate with the certification.
Getting your certification and becoming a certified medical assistant will not only increase the job outlook, but it will add to your salary as well. After you have completed one of the two programs mentioned above, you need to sit for the certification exam that is administered by the American Association of Medical Assistants. The certification is only temporary and it must be renewed once every five years, and although most employers do not require their medical assistants to be certified, it certainly adds to their resume and they will have more job opportunities as opposed to regular medical assistants.
Certified Medical Assistant Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In addition to the yearly salary of certified medical assistants in the US, which can be quite high, the average annual wage for a Canadian certified medical assistant is is C35,000 or more, depending on the working environment. On the other hand, certified medical assistants can make up to AU $50,000 in Australia, while the United Kingdom pays these professionals with an average annual income of around 30,000 pounds.
Verdict On Certified Medical Assistant Salary
Those who are genuinely interested in achieving experience and insight into the medical field and who want to climb the ladder and become better professionals in the health care industry should know that working as a medical assistant who has recently got their certification is certainly a great starting point. However, it is a known fact that private practices tend to pay better than public hospitals.
The bottom line is that the training only lasts for 12 to 24 months and the salary is satisfactory, and although the starting salary of a certified medical is low, it can gradually increase over the years. Besides this, there are many opportunities to get a significant rise as well and to aspire to a higher and better pait job position.