The medical office assistants are the first people you usually come into contact with whenever you go to a medical office. They are part of the administrative staff and they handle a variety of different office tasks, from answering phones and replying to mails to scheduling appointments and keeping the patient records accurate and updated. The medical office assistants work closely with other members of the surgical team, such as administrative assistants or medical secretaries and medical transcriptionists, and the median yearly wage of these professionals is of around $33,000 a year, and little under $16,00 per hour. However, this varies greatly from one part of the US to another.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
Medical office assistants currently get paid the highest median yearly wage in Alaska, where they can make as much as $40,000 a year, which is around $7,000 over the national average. The District of Columbia, on the other hand, also pays its medical office assistants a rewarding salary of around $38,000, while Massachusetts pays them approximately $37,000 a year followed by the state of Washington D.C. with just over $35,000. At the opposite end, there are the states of Alabama and West Virginia, which pay their medical office assistants salaries that revolve around $25,000 a year, around $8,000 under the national average described above.
Medical Office Assistant Job Description
Medical office assistants have many tasks to perform, and given the fact that they are the first professionals clients get into contact with, it is their duty to greet the patients and to help them with the paperwork. The medical office assistants fill out forms to confirm the insurance coverage, they make phone calls to remind the patients about their appointments, they arrange supplies for the laboratory and so on.
Record keeping is one of the most important and consistent parts of working as a medical office assistant these days. In spite of the fact that most modern medical offices rely on electronic databases and electronic health records software to keep track of their patient’s records, the job of the medical office assistant is still very difficult.
Other notable duties and responsibilities of the medical office assistants include updating the electronic health records of the patients, checking their insurance, scheduling and managing different appointments, dealing with the daily tasks at the medical facility where they work, submitting insurance claims and working as an intermediary between the patients and the health care provider. Overall, it is the duty of the medical administrative assistants to make sure that the office runs smoothly and without any problems whatsoever. These are the main tasks, duties and responsibilities of these professionals, although they may have many other similar tasks to take care of.
These professionals can be found in many different settings, such as outpatient clinics, hospitals, doctor’s offices and numerous other health care settings where they usually update and fill charts and help with insurance coding and medical billing.
How To Become A Medical Office Assistant?
- Medical Coding and Billing
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Health Information Management - Associate's
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Medical Billing & Coding
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Healthcare Administration, Marketing and Entrepreneurship Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
Medical office assistants, commonly referred to as CMAs or certified medical office assistants are professionals who deal with all the paperwork and the administrative tasks within a particular medical facilities. Given the fact that the office assistants do not provide medical advice or treatments, it takes them a lot less time to get their degree and start working in an office – they can opt for a one-year certificate program or for a two-year Associate’s Degree provided by an accredited school. The training program for medical office assistants is quite varied, as it comprises medical billing classes, insurance coding classes, maths and science classes as well as medical terminology.
Although the certification is not always required, some employers do prefer medical office assistants who are certified as this shows a superior level of skill and knowledge. The certification is provided by the American Association of Medical Assistants and it can significantly improve the job opportunities of the applicant in the long run.
Medical Office Assistant Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, the median yearly salary of a medical office assistant is of around Cad$30,000, in Australia of Au$49,000 while in the United Kingdom these specialists make around 15,000 a year.
Verdict On Medical Office Assistant Salary
To conclude, medical office assistants are paid a relatively low salary these days, although this depends a lot on the employer and the type of medical facility for which they work.