Occupational therapist assistants are trained specialists who work closely with occupational therapists in hospitals and rehabilitation centers, where they help patients rehabilitate after a severe injury. At the same time, occupational therapists also work closely with patients of all ages who suffer from debilitating chronic conditions and illnesses, thus helping them improve the quality of their life. These assistants help patients perform all the exercises and therapeutic activities indicated by the occupational therapists, and the median yearly wage for these professionals in the United States of America revolves around the sum of $50,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
The job outlook for occupational therapist assistants is excellent at the moment, and there are currently more than 30,000 assistants in the USA at the moment. The highest paying state at the moment is Texas, with over $66,000 a year, followed by the state of Idaho with just over $63,000, the state of New Jersey with around $60,000 and Florida with just under $58,000 a year. The states of Delaware, Maryland and California also pay their occupational therapist assistants median yearly wages of around $56,000 a year.
Occupational Therapist Assistant Job Description
As described earlier, the primary duty of the occupational therapist assistant is to work close to the occupational therapist and to assist him whenever and wherever needed. They usually work in hospitals, although some of them choose to work in private offices as well (where the work volume tends to be smaller and the payment is higher). Their duties vary greatly, but generally speaking it is the main responsibility of the occupational therapist assistant to help patients do their daily excercises such as lifting, bending and such. They can work with both children and adults of all ages.
In addition to working with patients who suffered a severe trauma or injury, occupational therapist assistants also work with those with chronic diseases whose life quality has been affected by their condition. Some of the patients have lost their ability to eat, dress or to tidy up or even to walk after an accident or a serious illness – this is where the occupational therapist assistant steps in and helps them improve their life quality.
Generally speaking, occupational therapist assistants need to help patients perform their daily tasks and responsibilities. They must teach patients how to improve their daily functions, they work closely with therapists to design personalized rehabilitation plans and, in some cases, they must also cover different clerical and administrative tasks, especially if they work for a private practice.
How To Become An Occupational Therapist Assistant?
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology : Addictions
- Master of Science in Psychology : Addictions
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology/Clinical Psychology
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Respiratory Therapy
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Massage Therapy
Becoming an occupational therapist assistant does take a lot of practice, and the first step is getting your Bachelor’s Degree in the field. Training programs are offered by more than 100 specialized universities and colleges across the United States. However, most of the assistants these days can get a job and pursue a lucrative career as occupational therapist assistants only with an Associate’s Degree, but if they want to take their career to the next level then they will need to apply for a Bachelor’s as well. The Associate’s Degree typically takes two years to complete, and the coursework is rather complex given the fact that it covers subjects like biology or health.
On the other hand, if you opt for a Bachelor’s Degree then it is important to know that you can couple it with a master’s Degree. Throughout the training, you will learn more about liberal arts, psychology or sociology. Regardless of the chosen type of higher education program, it is very important to make sure that both your Bachelor’s and your Master’s degrees are provided by an accredited program. After you get your degrees, you can start practicing in rehabilitation centers, clinics, nursing homes, private homes as well as state hospitals.
It is important for every occupational therapist assistant to pass the NBCOT certification exam. NBCOT stands for National Board for Certification in Occupational therapy, and this can dramatically increase their job opportunities in the long run.
Occupational Therapist Assistant Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, the median yearly wage of an occupational therapist assistant is of around CAD$31,000, in Australia of Au$50,000 while in the United Kingdom these professionals make between 21,000 and as much as 27,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Occupational Therapist Assistant
To conclude, the salary of the occupational therapist assistant tends to be motivating, and starting off as an assistant is certainly a great choice for those who plan to advance in their profession, later on.