RNFA stands for registered nurse first assistants and, as the name suggests, these are trained health care providers who offer emergency medical services in the operating room, or the OR. Becoming a registered nurse first assistant is one of the most challenging things in the nursing industry, as these professionals must firstly become registered nurses and then to get their license and enroll in a two-year training program to further their knowledge. Only after completing the specialized training program for registered nurse first assistants they can work legally in the United States of America. These professionals assist the patient before the surgery, during the surgical procedure and after it, and the median yearly wage for these professionals is of around $76,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
One of the highest paying states at the moment is Maryland, where these health care providers typically make more than $84,000 a year. On the second place, there is the state of Rhode Island with $83,000 a year, followed by Baltimore with $83,000, Massachusetts with no less than $89,000 per year and the state of New York, where these professionals can make as much as $95,000 a year. On the other hand, registered nurse first assistants get a great salary in the states of Alaska and California as well.
RNFA Job Description
RNFA stands for registered nurse first assistant, and these health care professionals work close with the surgeons in the operating room. These professionals offer direct medical care services to patients, and they have extensive surgical experience and knowledge. They play a pivotal role in the operating room, as they take care of all the incisions, the wounds and they also control the bleeding of the patient. It is the duty of the registered nurse first assistant to carefully monitor the evolution of the patient, their overall medical status and to also administer drugs that can turn out to be life saving.
It is extremely important for every registered nurse first assistant to be familiar with CPR, as they may need to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation on the patient if their heart stops. These professionals also monitor the heart rate of the patient during the surgery, take their pulse and respiration, and address all the potential complications that may arise during surgery.
It is extremely important for registered nurse first assistants to stay calm even in high stress situations, given the fact that they often need to work under high pressure situations. This is precisely why they must have impeccable communication and interpersonal skills, especially since they are a part of a bigger surgical team that consists of other nurses, doctors, surgeons and physicians.
How To Become A Registered Nurse First Assistant?
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
The first and often the most difficult step that you need to take in order to become a registered nurse first assistant is to enroll in a nursing school that is accredited. An associate’s Degree training program typically takes two to three years of studying, while a Bachelor’s Degree program can take as much as four years of intense studying. Throughout the course of the training program, you will get a deeper insight into the Science of Nursing.
After you have graduated from the nursing school, it is important to find a college and to enroll in it, especially since many of them have space exclusively for nursing students. College education can turn out to be very expensive, this is why some of the registered nurse first assistants may need to apply for a financial aid to take them through college. Only after finishing college, these professionals can move on to getting their registered nurse license. The license is provided by the State Board of Registered Nursing in the state where you want to work, and you will need to sit for the NCLEX exam (the National Council Licensing Exam) just like any other nurse, in order to get your licensure.
If you want to make the most out of your future career as a registered nurse first assistant, then you can always apply for a certification. Before doing that, you need to make sure that you are firstly licensed and that you have a Bachelor’s Degree in the Science of Nursing or an adjacent field. You must also have at least two thousand hours of documented practice as a registered nurse first assistant in order to be eligible for the certification.
RNFA Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, the median wage of a RNFA is of $75,000, while in Australia these professionals are paid with Au$28,00 per hour and in the United Kingdom they make around 30,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On RNFA Salary
To conclude, the salary of a registered nurse first assistant is very rewarding, and it can be even higher if these professionals get certified.