RNFA stands for registered nurse first assistants and, as the name suggests, these are trained health care providers who offer emergency medical services in the operating room, or the OR. Becoming a registered nurse first assistant is one of the most challenging things in the nursing industry, as these professionals must firstly become registered nurses and then to get their license and enroll in a two-year training program to further their knowledge. Only after completing the specialized training program for registered nurse first assistants they can work legally in the United States of America. These professionals assist the patient before the surgery, during the surgical procedure and after it, and the median yearly wage for these professionals is of around $76,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
One of the highest paying states at the moment is Maryland, where these health care providers typically make more than $84,000 a year. On the second place, there is the state of Rhode Island with $83,000 a year, followed by Baltimore with $83,000, Massachusetts with no less than $89,000 per year and the state of New York, where these professionals can make as much as $95,000 a year. On the other hand, registered nurse first assistants get a great salary in the states of Alaska and California as well.
RNFA Job Description
RNFA stands for registered nurse first assistant, and these health care professionals work close with the surgeons in the operating room. These professionals offer direct medical care services to patients, and they have extensive surgical experience and knowledge. They play a pivotal role in the operating room, as they take care of all the incisions, the wounds and they also control the bleeding of the patient. It is the duty of the registered nurse first assistant to carefully monitor the evolution of the patient, their overall medical status and to also administer drugs that can turn out to be life saving.
It is extremely important for every registered nurse first assistant to be familiar with CPR, as they may need to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation on the patient if their heart stops. These professionals also monitor the heart rate of the patient during the surgery, take their pulse and respiration, and address all the potential complications that may arise during surgery.
It is extremely important for registered nurse first assistants to stay calm even in high stress situations, given the fact that they often need to work under high pressure situations. This is precisely why they must have impeccable communication and interpersonal skills, especially since they are a part of a bigger surgical team that consists of other nurses, doctors, surgeons and physicians.
How To Become A Registered Nurse First Assistant?
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Patient Care Technician
- And more...
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BSN: RNs: Post Licensure: Global Studies
- MSN: Master of Nursing - MS in Healthcare Administration (Dual)
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Occupational Therapy Aide
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
The first and often the most difficult step that you need to take in order to become a registered nurse first assistant is to enroll in a nursing school that is accredited. An associate’s Degree training program typically takes two to three years of studying, while a Bachelor’s Degree program can take as much as four years of intense studying. Throughout the course of the training program, you will get a deeper insight into the Science of Nursing.
After you have graduated from the nursing school, it is important to find a college and to enroll in it, especially since many of them have space exclusively for nursing students. College education can turn out to be very expensive, this is why some of the registered nurse first assistants may need to apply for a financial aid to take them through college. Only after finishing college, these professionals can move on to getting their registered nurse license. The license is provided by the State Board of Registered Nursing in the state where you want to work, and you will need to sit for the NCLEX exam (the National Council Licensing Exam) just like any other nurse, in order to get your licensure.
If you want to make the most out of your future career as a registered nurse first assistant, then you can always apply for a certification. Before doing that, you need to make sure that you are firstly licensed and that you have a Bachelor’s Degree in the Science of Nursing or an adjacent field. You must also have at least two thousand hours of documented practice as a registered nurse first assistant in order to be eligible for the certification.
RNFA Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, the median wage of a RNFA is of $75,000, while in Australia these professionals are paid with Au$28,00 per hour and in the United Kingdom they make around 30,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On RNFA Salary
To conclude, the salary of a registered nurse first assistant is very rewarding, and it can be even higher if these professionals get certified.