One of the most prominent fields of medicine is anesthesiology, the study of drugs used to kill pain. The functions of an anesthesiologist include the administration of anesthetics during operations and the supervision thereof. This article will not be about the profession as such, but about how to prepare for such a career.
Preparation for the program
As with any branch of medicine, the high school student who is looking to become an anesthesiologist should begin by taking as many courses in biology and chemistry as possible. The search for a suitable school should begin during the junior year and be done with the help of the school guidance counselor.
Top US Anesthesiology Schools
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- Health Information Management
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Diploma - Healthcare Technology and Systems
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Surgical Technology
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
Technology changes everything®
You’ve found Ashford University, where school comes to you. Ashford delivers relevant degree programs to you everywhere, any time, with a supportive community where you belong.
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
Components of an anesthesiology program
The information given in this section is taken from the programs at various universities across the country. All of these, like all medical training programs, have both a classroom and a clinical component. The latter covers surgery of various kinds, including pediatric, vascular, obstetric, ambulatory, neurosurgical and cardiothoracic. Depending on the institution, other types of educational opportunities may be available, such as:
- didactic lectures held each day
- simulator training in anesthesiology
- journal clubs
- grand rounds held every Wednesday morning
At the undergraduate level, the standard pre-medical curriculum is followed, consisting of calculus, physics, biology and general and organic chemistry. The student taking these courses can major in any subject and still be admitted to medical school.
There are also residency programs at places such as the Mayo Clinic, for people who have already received a medical degree. Normally, an anesthesiology program lasts for three years, but there are those that combine this system with the one-year transitional residency. Experiences can be tailored to meet the educational goals of the individual student.
Programs in dental anesthesiology
Anesthesiology is also an important branch of dentistry because a dentist anesthetizes the teeth of the patient before performing cavity treatment of any kind – filling the cavity, performing root canal therapy, crowning a tooth or making an extraction. The dental section of most universities thus includes a department or division (the label varies from one institution to another) of anesthesiology, at which the same things are covered as in a medical anesthesiology program. However, there are some special problems involved in injecting an anesthetic into the gums. In addition, bacteria produced by pulp infection can neutralize the effects of the drug, in which case the gums may have to be pierced and a week of penicillin treatment may be necessary.