Health Administration Salary In The United States
Health administration is one of the most important areas of health, and a professional who holds an entry-level position in this field has an average annual income of around $30,000. However, the more experienced professionals who fill the same position can receive up to $96,000 a year or even more, while health care administrators and managers who also have a Master’s Degree in Health Care Administration typically earn over $100,000 on a yearly basis. In other words, your education will be reflected in your salary, although there are other aspects that influence one’s salary as well. Master’s level professionals earn the greatest salary in health administration, of over $150,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
The pay scale for health care administrators can vary a lot from one area of the United States to another one, and according to a survey performed by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, the state that pay their health care administrators the highest salary are Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Washington DC, New Jersey, California as well as New York. The highest salary for these health care professionals is offered by Massachusetts, where the median yearly wage is of over $112,000 a year. At the opposite end, the state that provides the lowest salaries for health administrators is Montana, which pays them a mean yearly wage of around $72,000, which is under the national average. The metropolitan areas always pay their health care administrators a higher salary, and this is somewhat associated to the higher costs of living in these areas.
Health Administration Job Description
The health care industry is constantly developing and evolving, and this is precisely why it is in great need of skilled, trained and competent managers and administrators to deal with the most demanding medical professionals. Health care administration is undoubtedly one of the fastest growing disciplines in the field, and it is the duty o the health care administrator to direct, coordinate as well as to manage medical services across a plethora of different settings, from hospitals and private practices to clinics and other similar work environments.
These professionals require good, in-depth knowledge of the medical services and they also need to have good business management and administration skills as well. Generally speaking, the main purpose of health care administrators is to minimize the costs and to maximize the performance of those who work in the health care industry. In some cases, these professionals need to perform office-related tasks as well, such as medical records and billing, creating work schedules and distributing the work tasks to various staff members.
Health care administrators who work in smaller offices are responsible with issuing and paying the bills, processing various insurance claims, answering telephones, replying to e-mails and so on and so forth. However, those who are hired by larger institutions typically need to handle processing the patient payments and they work closely with other members of the management staff. It is also the duty of the health care administrator or manager to train, hire and to monitor all the secretaries and the clerks, as well as to create schedules and strategies for reaching their professional goals. These professionals consult with the medical staff on various administrative needs and they represent their institution or organization at various meetings of the governing boards.
How To Become A Health Care Administrator?
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Earn a 100% Online Masters Degrees at ACU
- Take Your Professional Career To The Next Level With An Online Graduate Degree
- M.S. in Management - Healthcare Administration
- MBA - Analytics
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Health Care Administration
- BS in Health Care Administration
- MBA - Health Care Management
- And more...
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Health Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing - Management and Organizational Leadership
- Doctor of Health Administration
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Business - Healthcare Management
- Master of Arts in Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
- A.S. - Health Sciences - Medical Administrative Assistant
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
MPH@UNC is the online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Global Public Health, which is ranked the No. 1 public school of public health and No. 2 school of public health on U.S. News’ list, most recently published in 2015. The program offers a Leadership in Practice concentration and can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required.
- Online Master of Public Health
If you have decided to pursue a career in health care administration, then you should know that you need to have good analytical skills, you must be organized, creative and flexible enough to adapt to a variety of different work environments. Good communication skills are vital as well, given the fact that you will be working with a variety of different people from all processional levels and specialties. It is very important for the health care administrator to be professional, both in appearance and in conduct, given the fact that these specialists usually represent the institution they work for.
Regarding the training requirements, becoming a health care administrator usually requires a four year Bachelor’s Degree in the field, although this is typically enough only for an entry-level position. A graduate degree education that takes two to three more years is required for a high level executive position, and those who have an MBA or a Doctorate degree in health administration not only enjoy a higher salary, but they also have a more stable job at the same time. Before you move on to a graduate degree it is important to firstly complete your undergraduate degree in a related field, such as business administration, health care administration or public health. When it comes to Master’s degrees and Doctoral degrees, it must be said that such programs are typically offered by colleges, schools of medicine and public health as well as different universities.
In spite of the fact that most areas of health care administration do not require a license, it is highly recommended to get your certification especially if you plan to work in fields like assisted living facilities or other long term care nursing facilities. Certification is rather optional, and it is provided by two institutions: the Professional Association of Health Care Office Management, as well as by the American College of Health Care Administrator, the latter offering certification for health care administrators that work in assisted living facilities.
Health Administration Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
Health care administrators enjoy a very high salary not only in the United States of America, but also in Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom. Those who are employed by the NHS in the United Kingdom earn between 27,000 and 37,000 pounds a year if they hold an entry-level position I health administration, while seniors who work in the private health care administration sector can make as much as 98,000 pounds a year.
On the other hand, these professionals from Australia make around AU$95,000 while those from Canada enjoy a median yearly salary of C$83,000.
Verdict On Health Administration Salary
Health care administration is one of the most important branches of the medical field, and administrators who work in this area enjoy a very rewarding salary that is directly proportional to their level of responsibility.