Health Administration Salary In The United States
Health administration is one of the most important areas of health, and a professional who holds an entry-level position in this field has an average annual income of around $30,000. However, the more experienced professionals who fill the same position can receive up to $96,000 a year or even more, while health care administrators and managers who also have a Master’s Degree in Health Care Administration typically earn over $100,000 on a yearly basis. In other words, your education will be reflected in your salary, although there are other aspects that influence one’s salary as well. Master’s level professionals earn the greatest salary in health administration, of over $150,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
The pay scale for health care administrators can vary a lot from one area of the United States to another one, and according to a survey performed by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, the state that pay their health care administrators the highest salary are Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Washington DC, New Jersey, California as well as New York. The highest salary for these health care professionals is offered by Massachusetts, where the median yearly wage is of over $112,000 a year. At the opposite end, the state that provides the lowest salaries for health administrators is Montana, which pays them a mean yearly wage of around $72,000, which is under the national average. The metropolitan areas always pay their health care administrators a higher salary, and this is somewhat associated to the higher costs of living in these areas.
Health Administration Job Description
The health care industry is constantly developing and evolving, and this is precisely why it is in great need of skilled, trained and competent managers and administrators to deal with the most demanding medical professionals. Health care administration is undoubtedly one of the fastest growing disciplines in the field, and it is the duty o the health care administrator to direct, coordinate as well as to manage medical services across a plethora of different settings, from hospitals and private practices to clinics and other similar work environments.
These professionals require good, in-depth knowledge of the medical services and they also need to have good business management and administration skills as well. Generally speaking, the main purpose of health care administrators is to minimize the costs and to maximize the performance of those who work in the health care industry. In some cases, these professionals need to perform office-related tasks as well, such as medical records and billing, creating work schedules and distributing the work tasks to various staff members.
Health care administrators who work in smaller offices are responsible with issuing and paying the bills, processing various insurance claims, answering telephones, replying to e-mails and so on and so forth. However, those who are hired by larger institutions typically need to handle processing the patient payments and they work closely with other members of the management staff. It is also the duty of the health care administrator or manager to train, hire and to monitor all the secretaries and the clerks, as well as to create schedules and strategies for reaching their professional goals. These professionals consult with the medical staff on various administrative needs and they represent their institution or organization at various meetings of the governing boards.
How To Become A Health Care Administrator?
Ultimate Medical Academy Educates Future Healthcare Professionals
You bring your goals and motivation to UMA, and we will provide you the education and the support to help make you a success! Even if you haven’t been serious about your career before, we can help boost your confidence and prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- A.S. - Health & Human Services
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
- A.S. - Health Sciences - Medical Administrative Assistant
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- B.S. in Health Care Administration
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Master of Health Care Administration
- Master of Health Information Management
- BS in Health Science
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Business - Healthcare Management
Maryville University is a private university in St. Louis County, Missouri. Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a comprehensive and nationally ranked private institution with an enrollment of more than 6,800 students.
- Online MHA Concentration in Population Management
- Online MHA Concentration in Senior Services
- Online General MHA
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes. 100% Free Match to Top Colleges.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You'll Love.
- Answer a few questions and you are one step closer to enroll in a Top College!
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
If you have decided to pursue a career in health care administration, then you should know that you need to have good analytical skills, you must be organized, creative and flexible enough to adapt to a variety of different work environments. Good communication skills are vital as well, given the fact that you will be working with a variety of different people from all processional levels and specialties. It is very important for the health care administrator to be professional, both in appearance and in conduct, given the fact that these specialists usually represent the institution they work for.
Regarding the training requirements, becoming a health care administrator usually requires a four year Bachelor’s Degree in the field, although this is typically enough only for an entry-level position. A graduate degree education that takes two to three more years is required for a high level executive position, and those who have an MBA or a Doctorate degree in health administration not only enjoy a higher salary, but they also have a more stable job at the same time. Before you move on to a graduate degree it is important to firstly complete your undergraduate degree in a related field, such as business administration, health care administration or public health. When it comes to Master’s degrees and Doctoral degrees, it must be said that such programs are typically offered by colleges, schools of medicine and public health as well as different universities.
In spite of the fact that most areas of health care administration do not require a license, it is highly recommended to get your certification especially if you plan to work in fields like assisted living facilities or other long term care nursing facilities. Certification is rather optional, and it is provided by two institutions: the Professional Association of Health Care Office Management, as well as by the American College of Health Care Administrator, the latter offering certification for health care administrators that work in assisted living facilities.
Health Administration Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
Health care administrators enjoy a very high salary not only in the United States of America, but also in Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom. Those who are employed by the NHS in the United Kingdom earn between 27,000 and 37,000 pounds a year if they hold an entry-level position I health administration, while seniors who work in the private health care administration sector can make as much as 98,000 pounds a year.
On the other hand, these professionals from Australia make around AU$95,000 while those from Canada enjoy a median yearly salary of C$83,000.
Verdict On Health Administration Salary
Health care administration is one of the most important branches of the medical field, and administrators who work in this area enjoy a very rewarding salary that is directly proportional to their level of responsibility.