Health Administration Salary In The United States
Health administration is one of the most important areas of health, and a professional who holds an entry-level position in this field has an average annual income of around $30,000. However, the more experienced professionals who fill the same position can receive up to $96,000 a year or even more, while health care administrators and managers who also have a Master’s Degree in Health Care Administration typically earn over $100,000 on a yearly basis. In other words, your education will be reflected in your salary, although there are other aspects that influence one’s salary as well. Master’s level professionals earn the greatest salary in health administration, of over $150,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
The pay scale for health care administrators can vary a lot from one area of the United States to another one, and according to a survey performed by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, the state that pay their health care administrators the highest salary are Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Washington DC, New Jersey, California as well as New York. The highest salary for these health care professionals is offered by Massachusetts, where the median yearly wage is of over $112,000 a year. At the opposite end, the state that provides the lowest salaries for health administrators is Montana, which pays them a mean yearly wage of around $72,000, which is under the national average. The metropolitan areas always pay their health care administrators a higher salary, and this is somewhat associated to the higher costs of living in these areas.
Health Administration Job Description
The health care industry is constantly developing and evolving, and this is precisely why it is in great need of skilled, trained and competent managers and administrators to deal with the most demanding medical professionals. Health care administration is undoubtedly one of the fastest growing disciplines in the field, and it is the duty o the health care administrator to direct, coordinate as well as to manage medical services across a plethora of different settings, from hospitals and private practices to clinics and other similar work environments.
These professionals require good, in-depth knowledge of the medical services and they also need to have good business management and administration skills as well. Generally speaking, the main purpose of health care administrators is to minimize the costs and to maximize the performance of those who work in the health care industry. In some cases, these professionals need to perform office-related tasks as well, such as medical records and billing, creating work schedules and distributing the work tasks to various staff members.
Health care administrators who work in smaller offices are responsible with issuing and paying the bills, processing various insurance claims, answering telephones, replying to e-mails and so on and so forth. However, those who are hired by larger institutions typically need to handle processing the patient payments and they work closely with other members of the management staff. It is also the duty of the health care administrator or manager to train, hire and to monitor all the secretaries and the clerks, as well as to create schedules and strategies for reaching their professional goals. These professionals consult with the medical staff on various administrative needs and they represent their institution or organization at various meetings of the governing boards.
How To Become A Health Care Administrator?
- Health Care Bachelor's and Master's Degrees Online From Grand Canyon University
- Develop entry-level skills, prepare to switch to a health care career or strengthen your current skill set.
- Comprehensive lessons & valuable classwork to prepare health care students for their future careers.
- Online classes provide you the flexibility to earn your health care degree from anywhere.
- Curriculum designed by health care industry experts.
- GCU's College of Nursing and Health Care Professions has a mission to promote health & wellness for all patients.
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- And more...
- Separate yourself from the pack by completing one of Saint Leo’s highly-rated Business degree programs. Associates, Bachelors, and Graduate degrees in highly sought-after concentrations available!
- Learn the necessary skills and build the foundation to propel your business career by receiving an education from our faculty members with true real-world experience.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited Business degree today!
- MBA: Health Care Management
- Topped the list as Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report in 2019.
- Regent is ranked among Top National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, 2019.
- Flexible online, on-campus and evening courses offered in 135 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Regent is recognized among Top #10 Military Friendly Schools by Military Friendly®, 2019.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $24 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid in 2017-18.
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition and Wellness
- MS: Healthcare Administration: 42-hour
- Bachelor of Science: Healthcare Administration
- And more...
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Healthcare Management
If you have decided to pursue a career in health care administration, then you should know that you need to have good analytical skills, you must be organized, creative and flexible enough to adapt to a variety of different work environments. Good communication skills are vital as well, given the fact that you will be working with a variety of different people from all processional levels and specialties. It is very important for the health care administrator to be professional, both in appearance and in conduct, given the fact that these specialists usually represent the institution they work for.
Regarding the training requirements, becoming a health care administrator usually requires a four year Bachelor’s Degree in the field, although this is typically enough only for an entry-level position. A graduate degree education that takes two to three more years is required for a high level executive position, and those who have an MBA or a Doctorate degree in health administration not only enjoy a higher salary, but they also have a more stable job at the same time. Before you move on to a graduate degree it is important to firstly complete your undergraduate degree in a related field, such as business administration, health care administration or public health. When it comes to Master’s degrees and Doctoral degrees, it must be said that such programs are typically offered by colleges, schools of medicine and public health as well as different universities.
In spite of the fact that most areas of health care administration do not require a license, it is highly recommended to get your certification especially if you plan to work in fields like assisted living facilities or other long term care nursing facilities. Certification is rather optional, and it is provided by two institutions: the Professional Association of Health Care Office Management, as well as by the American College of Health Care Administrator, the latter offering certification for health care administrators that work in assisted living facilities.
Health Administration Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
Health care administrators enjoy a very high salary not only in the United States of America, but also in Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom. Those who are employed by the NHS in the United Kingdom earn between 27,000 and 37,000 pounds a year if they hold an entry-level position I health administration, while seniors who work in the private health care administration sector can make as much as 98,000 pounds a year.
On the other hand, these professionals from Australia make around AU$95,000 while those from Canada enjoy a median yearly salary of C$83,000.
Verdict On Health Administration Salary
Health care administration is one of the most important branches of the medical field, and administrators who work in this area enjoy a very rewarding salary that is directly proportional to their level of responsibility.