Health Administration Salary In The United States
Health administration is one of the most important areas of health, and a professional who holds an entry-level position in this field has an average annual income of around $30,000. However, the more experienced professionals who fill the same position can receive up to $96,000 a year or even more, while health care administrators and managers who also have a Master’s Degree in Health Care Administration typically earn over $100,000 on a yearly basis. In other words, your education will be reflected in your salary, although there are other aspects that influence one’s salary as well. Master’s level professionals earn the greatest salary in health administration, of over $150,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
The pay scale for health care administrators can vary a lot from one area of the United States to another one, and according to a survey performed by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, the state that pay their health care administrators the highest salary are Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Washington DC, New Jersey, California as well as New York. The highest salary for these health care professionals is offered by Massachusetts, where the median yearly wage is of over $112,000 a year. At the opposite end, the state that provides the lowest salaries for health administrators is Montana, which pays them a mean yearly wage of around $72,000, which is under the national average. The metropolitan areas always pay their health care administrators a higher salary, and this is somewhat associated to the higher costs of living in these areas.
Health Administration Job Description
The health care industry is constantly developing and evolving, and this is precisely why it is in great need of skilled, trained and competent managers and administrators to deal with the most demanding medical professionals. Health care administration is undoubtedly one of the fastest growing disciplines in the field, and it is the duty o the health care administrator to direct, coordinate as well as to manage medical services across a plethora of different settings, from hospitals and private practices to clinics and other similar work environments.
These professionals require good, in-depth knowledge of the medical services and they also need to have good business management and administration skills as well. Generally speaking, the main purpose of health care administrators is to minimize the costs and to maximize the performance of those who work in the health care industry. In some cases, these professionals need to perform office-related tasks as well, such as medical records and billing, creating work schedules and distributing the work tasks to various staff members.
Health care administrators who work in smaller offices are responsible with issuing and paying the bills, processing various insurance claims, answering telephones, replying to e-mails and so on and so forth. However, those who are hired by larger institutions typically need to handle processing the patient payments and they work closely with other members of the management staff. It is also the duty of the health care administrator or manager to train, hire and to monitor all the secretaries and the clerks, as well as to create schedules and strategies for reaching their professional goals. These professionals consult with the medical staff on various administrative needs and they represent their institution or organization at various meetings of the governing boards.
How To Become A Health Care Administrator?
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Healthcare Administration - Bachelor's
- Health Information Management - Associate's
- Join GCU's Colangelo College of Business and start down the path to a successful business career.
- Bachelor's and master's degrees that help prepare students to be business leaders.
- Leading-edge degrees that address the demands of contemporary business environments.
- Online and evening classes designed to meet the needs of working students and adults.
- Committed to providing students a values-based education centered on Christian principles
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- Master of Health Care Administration
- And more...
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Business Administration: Healthcare Management
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Care Administration - D.B.A.
- Health Care Administration - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- And more...
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Are You a Natural Leader or Good with Numbers? Get Educated in the Business Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Business Administration & Management, Accounting, Marketing Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
If you have decided to pursue a career in health care administration, then you should know that you need to have good analytical skills, you must be organized, creative and flexible enough to adapt to a variety of different work environments. Good communication skills are vital as well, given the fact that you will be working with a variety of different people from all processional levels and specialties. It is very important for the health care administrator to be professional, both in appearance and in conduct, given the fact that these specialists usually represent the institution they work for.
Regarding the training requirements, becoming a health care administrator usually requires a four year Bachelor’s Degree in the field, although this is typically enough only for an entry-level position. A graduate degree education that takes two to three more years is required for a high level executive position, and those who have an MBA or a Doctorate degree in health administration not only enjoy a higher salary, but they also have a more stable job at the same time. Before you move on to a graduate degree it is important to firstly complete your undergraduate degree in a related field, such as business administration, health care administration or public health. When it comes to Master’s degrees and Doctoral degrees, it must be said that such programs are typically offered by colleges, schools of medicine and public health as well as different universities.
In spite of the fact that most areas of health care administration do not require a license, it is highly recommended to get your certification especially if you plan to work in fields like assisted living facilities or other long term care nursing facilities. Certification is rather optional, and it is provided by two institutions: the Professional Association of Health Care Office Management, as well as by the American College of Health Care Administrator, the latter offering certification for health care administrators that work in assisted living facilities.
Health Administration Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
Health care administrators enjoy a very high salary not only in the United States of America, but also in Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom. Those who are employed by the NHS in the United Kingdom earn between 27,000 and 37,000 pounds a year if they hold an entry-level position I health administration, while seniors who work in the private health care administration sector can make as much as 98,000 pounds a year.
On the other hand, these professionals from Australia make around AU$95,000 while those from Canada enjoy a median yearly salary of C$83,000.
Verdict On Health Administration Salary
Health care administration is one of the most important branches of the medical field, and administrators who work in this area enjoy a very rewarding salary that is directly proportional to their level of responsibility.