Hematology Oncology Salary In The United States
Hematology oncology is one of the most demanding yet also one of the most rewarding branches of modern medicine. These health care professionals are responsible with examining the patients and diagnosing various diseases and disorders of the blood, the immune system and the bone marrow, and then come up with the best treatment plan for them. Becoming a hematologist-oncologist requires years of theoretical and practical training, and these professionals also need a medical degree provided by an accredited school. The median expected salary for a physician in hematology or oncology is of around $250,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
The pay scale for professionals in hematology and oncology varies a lot from one state to another, and the states of Michigan, New Jersey, California and New York typically pays physicians who work in this field a salary that is above average. On the other hand, the state of Texas pays them on average $190,000 a year, which is under the national average. All the other states usually reward its physicians in hematology and oncology with a salary that is above the average.
Hematology Oncology Job Description
Hematologists and oncologists perform different tasks – both of them are specialized, skilled and highly trained doctors that specialize in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of various diseases. The difference is that while hematologists specialize in disorders of the vascular, immune system, bone marrow and blood system, oncologists specialize in the treatment of cancer. It is the duty of the hematologist to examine the blood and the bone marrow and then analyze the hematology test results, in order to detect potential blood cancers such as leukemia.
However, hematologists deal with other blood disorders as well, such as myeloma, bleeding disorders, lymphoma, hemophilia and many others. Otherwise states, hematologists are professionals who specialize in blood, they consult the patient, examine their health history and then take various blood samples for further testing. Also, these health care professionals carry out preventive screening and tests for blood and bone marrow disorders as well, they prescribe medication, bone marrow transfusions as well as blood transfusions.
Oncologists, on the other hand, diagnose and treat patients who suffer from cancer and they often specialize in chemotherapy and other similar treatments. There are many specialties in the field of oncology, and these health care professionals often perform surgical procedures on cancer patients as well – in addition to chemotherapy, these professionals often use therapeutic radiation as well . Some of the most common subspecialties in the field of oncology include pediatric oncologist, veterinary oncologist and such.
How To Become A Hematologist Oncologist?
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Allied Health Management
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Practical Nursing
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- And more...
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist
- And more...
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Medical Billing & Coding
- Dental Assisting
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- And more...
Becoming a hematologist oncologist takes a lot of training in the field, and the first step every future health care provider in this sector needs to take is finishing high school and a four-year college degree. After they do that, it is important for them to go to medical school for extra four years and to pass the licensing exams. The residency period is also very important for these professionals, and they need to get their practical experience either in paediatrics or in internal medicine – at the end of the training, they need to finish a fellowship program in hematology oncology.
Earning the Bachelor’s Degree is by far the most important step every future hematologist oncologist needs to do, and the training session usually consists of coursework in chemistry, physics, biology as well as mathematics. Attending the medical school usually takes four years, and throughout this time the students will get a deeper insight into fields like pathology, physiology, microbiology or anatomy. After completing the four years of training, students need to complete two more years doing clinical work and taking specific courses in both oncology and hematology. The residency period is the last one, and it takes three years of training. Most of the hematologists oncologists opt for a residency program in internal medicine, although some of them opt for a residency program in paediatrics as well.
The certification is yet another essential part of becoming a hematologist oncologist and working in a hospital or in a private clinic. The certification in pediatric hematology and oncology (for those who choose to specialize in paediatrics) is provided by the ABP or the American Board of Paediatrics, and it requires all the students to have completed a fellowship that lasted for three years, along with having a medical license. After that, it is important for all the doctors to sit and pass the certification exam, and once they get their certification they need to apply for a recertification once every ten years, along with fulfilling all the continuing education requirements that apply once every five years.
Oncologist Hematologist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In addition to the geographical location, another factor that has a huge impact on the salary of oncologists and hematologists is the experience. Those who live and work in Canada should expect a median yearly salary of around CA$240,000, while oncologists and hematologists who work in the United Kingdom have a yearly median wage of around 60,000 pounds, although it is not uncommon for those who also work as NHS consultants or who work in private practices to earn more than 100,000 a year.
Last, but not least, oncologists hematologists who live and work in Australia have a mean yearly salary of around AU$200,000, although some of them can make as much as AU$350,000.
Verdict On Hematologist Oncologist Salary
To conclude, working as a hematologist oncologist in a hospital or any other clinical setting can be very stressful and demanding but, at the same time, this is one of the highest paid professionals in the entire health care industry. It often happens that the salary of a skilled, licensed and certified hematologist oncologist exceeds $200,000 on a yearly basis, mainly due to the fact that the position involves a lot of hard work coupled with massive financial sacrifices to get the training that is required. The bottom line is that working as a hematologist oncologist can turn out to be extremely rewarding in the long haul, from every point of view, not just from the financial one.