The internist doctor is the most important health care provider in the field of internal medicine. Simply put, the general internists deal with those who have suffered extensive trauma or injuries to the internal organs, or who suffer from chronic diseases of the organs.
However, it must be said that internal medicine professionals are trained to manage a variety of conditions and illnesses, and in addition to the medical duties and responsibilities they must also deal with numerous administrative tasks as well, such as maintaining the medical records of the patients updated and accurate. These professionals are very much appreciated in wellness programs and community health centers, and the median yearly general medicine salary usually ranges anywhere between $150,000 and as much as $230,000 a year, depending on a series of factors.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
Health care professionals who work in the United States of America get different salaries. For instance, those who work in the state of Utah should expect to get a median yearly wage of up to $234,000, while those from Nebraska typically get paid around $223,000 a year.
Also, the states of New Hampshire and South Dakota tend to offer general internist doctors median yearly wages of around $220,000 or above, depending on the circumstances. Other high-paying states in the US are the state of South Carolina, where internal medicine doctors get a median yearly wage of around $210,000, followed by Wisconsin and Arkansas where these health care providers typically make between $212,000 and $213,000 a year.
Internist Job Description
The notion of internist, more commonly known as general internist, is used to describe a skilled and trained professional who works in the field of internal medicine. Generally speaking, these professionals work with patients who have suffered either disease of the internal organs or who have gone through massive trauma. They provide either surgical or non-surgical treatments to these patients, and they specialize in treating a wide array of different problems, from chronic issues such as diabetes to various problems that affect the heart, the lungs, the kidneys as well as the brain.
Generally speaking, general internists are trained professionals who work closely with surgeons, physicians, nurses and a variety of other health care providers that work in the field of internal medicine, as their team work is absolutely essential for diagnosing conditions that range anywhere from mild to severe, as well as to offer patients the most efficient treatment plan depending on their condition, needs and requirements.
It often happens that most of today’s internist doctors start off as primary care physicians and only after that they choose to specialize in a certain field. These professionals work with a variety of different people, usually those who come to the emergency room of the state owned hospital or private clinic in which they work, and they also provide efficient, high-quality medical services to both younger and older patients. General internists can also be found in other private settings such as doctor’s offices and a plethora of other similar healthcare facilities, they can have a regular working schedule and sometimes they may need to work during the weekends or during the holidays.
How To Become An Internist?
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assistant Technician (Associate in Specialized Technology Degree)
- And more...
- Pharmacy Technician
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- BS Respiratory Therapy - Post-Licensure
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Becoming an internist is somewhat like becoming any other health care provider in the medical industry. Just like all the other physicians, general internists must firstly get their undergraduate degree and meet all the eligibility requirements in order to enroll in a four-year Bachelor’s Degree training program. Once they get their Bachelor’s, it is important for all the future internists to enroll in a med school that takes extra four years. At the end of the training period, these professionals will be awarded a Medical Degree.
However, the medical degree is certainly not enough in order to work as a general internist in the United States of America, as these health care professionals must also complete years of GME, or graduate medical education, including three years of residency training coupled with a one-year internship.
If you have decided to become an internist, then it is very important to make sure that you have an academic background in fields that are considered essential for every future physician or doctor, such as biology, chemistry as well as mathematics. One of the most challenging and difficult aspects of becoming a general internist is getting admitted to med school, given the fact that this type of school is highly competitive these days and you need to stand out from the crowd in order to be admitted. However, after you do get admitted, you will combine theoretical training and coursework with practical, hands-on experience where you will develop all your skills and knowledge. Throughout the four years of med school, you will learn more about aspects like biochemistry, pharmacology, ethics as well as human anatomy.
It is very important for all the general internists to understand that in order to work legally as health care providers in the United States of America, they must be properly licensed or certified by an accredited and competent organization. In order to get their license, they must firstly complete the residency program, which usually takes place in a state owned hospital, although it can take place in various other health care settings.
If you have decided to pursue a certification as a general internist, it is important to understand that you need to have completed the med school, along with the residency training and the internship. Only after that you will be eligible to sit for the certification exam and if you pass it, you will be granted the certification by the American Board of Internal Medicine.You can choose to also specialize in another medical field in addition to internal medicine: this one can be cardiology, paediatrics etc.
Internal Medicine Salary in Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
An internist from Canada has a median yearly wage that varies between Ca$56,000 and up to Ca$137,000, while one from the UK should expect to get a median yearly wage of around 100,000 pounds a year, and one from Australia typically makes between Au$47,000 and Au$170,000 a year.
Verdict On Internal Medicine Salary
To conclude, the salary of a general internist tends to be very motivating for these health care professionals.