Pediatric oncology professionals are trained health care providers who closely study the treatment of cancer. Cancer has become widely spread lately and it has started to affect children, and not only is the disease very difficult to treat from a medical point of view, but from an emotional standpoint as well. Simply put, pediatric oncologists are professionals who treat children that suffer from cancer, and these health care providers can enjoy a very high yearly salary. That being said, the mean yearly wage for a pediatric oncologist who is just starting his medical career is of over $175,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States Of America
Pediatric oncologists get different payments across the United States, and those from the north of the country usually get more than $223,000 a year. On the other hand, those from the Southern US should expect a mean yearly wage of around $210,000, while those from the west typically make around $205,000 a year. At the same time, the pediatric oncologists who reside and work in Eastern United States have an approximate wage of around $167,000 a year.
Pediatric Oncologist Job Description
Cancer is undoubtedly one of the most medically challenging conditions, as it is very difficult to treat. At the same time, cancer that affects children is particularly difficult, given the fact that the abnormal cells generally multiply at a faster pace in younger bodies. Simply put, medical oncologists are professionals who complete a basic graduation course at first, and who specialize in oncology.
These professionals deal with the diagnosis, treatment and care of pediatric patients who suffer from different forms of cancer, and it is also the duty of the pediatric oncologist to carefully supervise the treatment measures that are advised to children, as well as to coach the trainees in the daily activities and how to care for children.
The pediatric oncologist must also maintain a very close relationship to the family of the child, he must be very compassionate toward the patient and must show empathy while performing their daily tasks.
How To Become A Pediatric Oncologist?
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA: Medical Sciences: Business Management
- MA: Medical Sciences: Health Informatics
- MA: Medical Sciences: Biopsychology
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- BS in Health Science
- And more...
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Health Sciences (Ph.D.)
- Certificate in Medical Coding and Billing
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assistant
- And more...
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from the Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences in as few as 20 months. As a student, you will attend live online classes and gain clinical experience at sites in or near your community, secured with the assistance of a dedicated clinical placement team. Accredited by CCNE, the program offers part-time and full-time options to prepare you for certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Medical Coding and Billing
The first and most important step towards pursuing a career as a pediatric oncologist is earning your degree in the medical field. A Bachelor’s Degree is a good point to start from, and those who want to enroll in med school are highly advised to have some experience in physics, chemistry and biology. The Bachelor’s Degree programs typically last for four years, and it is extremely important to enroll in a med school that is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, otherwise your degree may be worthless.
Throughout the med school, you will be taught important subjects like social and clinical science, and you will also take courses in behavioral and biological sciences. After you graduate, you will get either a DO or an MD degree. Once they get the degree, the med students can move on and apply for licensure (the exact requirements may vary).
After getting their license in the medical field, these health care professionals can move on to the next phase of their training, which is completing a pediatric residency program that typically takes three years. During the residency, students will take rotations in different fields of medicine, like hematology, cardiology, ambulatory care as well as oncology. The final step is becoming Board Certified in Paediatrics, and the certification is provided by the ABP – after that, they can move on to enrolling in the pediatric oncology fellowship. During the fellowship, you will get training in research, bone marrow transplantation as well as clinical services.
If you want to get your certification in Pediatric Hematology and Oncology provided by the Board, then you must already hold a board certification in general paediatrics and have completed an approved fellowship program. The final step is passing the certifying exam, and the re-certification requirements are the same ones as those in general paediatrics.
Pediatric Oncologist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A pediatric oncologist in Canada usually makes between Ca$42,000 and Ca$240,000, while one from the United Kingdom usually makes around 60,000 pounds a year. A pediatric oncology professional from Australia can make as much as Au$200,000, if he turns out to be truly good at what he’s doing.
Verdict On Pediatric Oncology Salary
To conclude, working as a pediatric oncologist can be emotionally and professionally demanding, but the salary is rewarding.