Physical therapists are professionals who use different rehabilitation techniques and exercise tactics in order to help those who have suffered severe injuries or trauma to get back to living a normal life. The main purpose of the physical therapist is to help patients cope with the pain and improve their flexibility at the same time. Their practice is based on fitness principles and healthy living in general, and the median yearly salary of a physical therapist is of around $60,000 in the United States of America. However, the oldest and most experienced physical therapists can make twice that much!
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
The highest paying state for physical therapists is Nevada, as this is where these professionals can make as much as $115,000, which is almost twice the national average described above. The states of Alaska, Texas, California and New Jersey, on the other hand, all offer their physical therapists salaries that range between $90,000 and as much as $95,000 a year.
Physical Therapist Job Description
As described above, the primary purpose of the physical therapist is to restore the function and mobility of the patient, to prevent physical disabilities caused by trauma and injuries as well as to alleviate the overall pain. These professionals plan and administer the medications, they assess the overall health status of the patient and then come up with the best physical therapy treatment plan. It often happens that physical therapists work closely with doctors and physicians, for the best results.
Physical therapists rely heavily on manual exercises and other daily living activities and ambulatory functional activities in order to help patients cope with the pain. These professionals also instruct patients on how to use crutches, prostheses and other supportive and assistive devices to improve the quality of their live, and they also give different massages and apply moist packs and use ultrasound machines. It is their duty to evaluate the efficacy of the different physical therapy treatments, to observe and evaluate the progress of the patient as well as to consult with nurses and other health care workers.
It is the duty of the physical therapist to make sure that the working environment is safe and clean, and that the patient medical records are accurate and up to date. These professionals also instruct relatives and other caregivers on how to perform different home exercise programs, in order to support the evolution of the patient.
How To become A Physical Therapist?
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Occupational Therapy Aide
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Massage Therapy Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Respiratory Therapy
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Mental Health
- Work in the fascinating and rewarding field of psychology - earn your bachelor's or master's degree online with Grand Canyon University.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences promotes research, creativity, ethical formation and inquiry through critical, analytical and interdisciplinary study.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's in psychology degrees combine academic theory with practical application.
- Gain a comprehensive study of human behavior within a Christian values-oriented environment designed to emphasize compassion and ethics.
- Join a values-based community surrounded by compassion, ethics and research on human behavior.
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
The first step is to complete an undergraduate program and to have a minimum undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0. It is important to complete prerequisites in physiology, chemistry, psychology and anatomy, and it is also important to get your graduate degree by completing a specialized physical therapy training program that is accredited by the CAPTE, or the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education. There are tens of such programs available throughout the United States of America.
Once you have completed your training, it is very important to move on to obtaining your licensure, as all the 50 states of the United States of America require their physical therapists to actually be licensed in order to work legally. In order to do that, they must sit for what is known as the NPTE, or the National Physical Therapy Examination program and then pass it. The program is administered by the Federation of State Boards in Physical Therapy. After passing the exam, the physical therapists can attend a residency program that lasts anywhere from nine months to three years, and their training will be complete. They can then choose to either practice and help patients, or they can become teachers or work in the research department.
There are more than ten thousand certified physical therapists in the United States of America, and the job outlook is excellent. The American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties offers no less than 8 different specialty areas of physical therapy to choose from.
Physical Therapy Salary In Canada, Australia And The Uk
In Canada, the median yearly salary for these professionals is of around CAD$59,000, in Australia of Au$60,000 while in the United Kingdom it varies between 21,000 and 40,000 pounds.
Verdict On Physical Therapy Salary
If you are truly committed to your profession, you can easily make a six figure income in this field of activity!