It’s no secret that, despite the recession, healthcare has remained one of the hottest and fastest growing fields; nursing in particular is projected to continue growing through the rest of this decade. A Certified Nursing Assistant or CNA is someone who sees to a patient’s health-related needs while under the supervision of a Licensed Practical Nurse or Registered Nurse. There are openings for CNAs at nursing and assisted-living facilities, as well as hospitals and convalescent homes, and the number of positions is expected to grow.
Certified Nursing Assistant Training
The first step to becoming a CNA is to take the necessary classes to become a Nursing Assistant, keeping in mind that although it is possible to find employment without being certified, certification will mean better pay and more opportunities. A Certified Nursing Assistant program will last anywhere from six weeks to several months. In addition, aspiring CNAs must complete 75 hours of state-approved training. The usual prerequisites for enrolling in CNA courses are having a high school diploma or GED, being at least 18 years of age, and passing a background check.
Certified Nursing Assistant State Exam
After completing the required training, the next step to certification is passing a state competency exam. This test consists of two parts and is meant to judge the candidate’s practical skills as well as the conceptual knowledge he or she has aquired. Applicants who pass this exam can then be listed in their state’s Nurse Aide Registry and are then considered certified.
Top Certified Nursing Assistant Schools
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Career training since 1963.
- Gives you the freedom and flexibility to learn on your own time, at your own pace and in your own environment.
- Complete your education and gain technical skills when and where it's convenient for you!
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
- For placement, financial and other important information, visit online.daymarcollege.edu/disclosures.
- Medical Assisting - Associates Degree
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS Respiratory Therapy - Post-Licensure
- MSN: Health Policy
- MSN: Community Health
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Where to take Certified Nursing Assistant classes
There are several options for obtaining CNA training. Some candidates choose to take courses at particular nursing facilities, with an eye to working there once they are certified. The Red Cross also offers CNA classes. However, the most popular options by far are community colleges or vocational schools and online courses.
How to find the best Certified Nursing Assistant programs
Because CNAs must be licensed in the state where they will work, one of the best options for researching schools is to contact the State Nurse Aide Registry and inquire about that state’s particular requirements for becoming certified. Another is to contact professional nursing assistant organizations and check their recommendations, and, of course, an online search will yield results for rankings, reviews from former students, and the certification rate among a program’s graduates. Accreditation is also a factor that helps distinguish the top schools from others which many not meet a state’s standards for certification. The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), formerly the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commision, is in charge of accrediting CNA programs. The important thing is to try and ensure that the training chosen will adecuately prepare the candidate to sit for the state exam.