Clinical nurse specialists or more commonly known by the acronym CNS happen to be very integral components of any healthcare providing organizations or setting. Naturally, there are diverse medical fields or sub specialties that these professionals can specialize in, and this obviously assures them of a substantial clinical nurse specialist salary.
Clinical Nurse Specialist Salary
Taking a case study of the United States of America, these invaluable nursing experts can expect to take home an annual basic salary that lies between $50,800 – $100,000. The exact position where a clinical nurse specialist’s distinct salary lies in this continuum obviously depends on their skills, reputation and even accrued experience. Nevertheless, the median clinical nurse salary in the US in 2014 is $94,604.
This makes clinical nurse experts some the most highly paid not only in the nursing field, but also in the entire medical sphere. Like most other careers, these medical oriented job’s earnings largely vary from one state to the other. Let us now take a precise look at just what clinical nurse specialist can expect to earn in some of the major states in the US.
Pay scale in different parts of the US
A clinical nurse specialist that works in the state of Wyoming takes home approximately $69,170 – $96,935 each year, and the actual placement depends on their experience, skills and even talent. The median clinical nurse specialist salary in this state lies at roughly $83,441.
These nursing professionals working in the state of California receive a much better annual compensation than their Wyoming colleagues, and they take home approximately from $84,619 – $118,587. This naturally depends on their expertise and accrued experience in this highly challenging medical field. The median salary of these professionals in this state is roughly $102,078.
A yearly clinical nurse specialist salary in the state of Illinois lies along the range of $82,267 – $115,289, which is slightly more what they counterparts in Wyoming earn, but still below what those in California get. The median salary of this profession in this state is $99,240.
A clinical nurse specialist that operates in the state of Florida can expect to take home an annual basic salary that lies between $76,934 – $107,816. The annual median clinical nurse specialist salary in this region is approximately $92,807.
Such medical professionals that live and work in the big apple, take home a tidy round yearly sum that can fall between $91,442 – $128,148. The annually median clinical nurse specialist salary lies at around $110,308.
A clinical nurse specialist in the state of Washington earns from $84,619 – $118,587, largely depending on their expertise and accrued experience in the working field. The annual median earnings of these professionals in this state are around $94,037.
The annual basic clinical nurse specialist salary in the state of Texas lies in the range of $77,953 – $109,245. The median annual salary of these professionals falls below $94,037.
Clinical Nurse Specialist job description
A clinical nurse specialist’s distinct role is often very varied and carries a lot of far reaching ramifications in the healthcare setting they find themselves in. For the most part, such medical professionals take it upon themselves the responsibility for the well being of patients whose cases might be to intricate to a normal nurse.
Their main aim in all their operations is usually to facilitate significant and more to the point tangible improvements in patient outcomes. This is generally brought about by enhancing the level of nursing care patients receive in the clinical establishments that fall under their responsibility.
Clinical nurse specialists are also required to provide nursing mentoring duties which ensures that all nurses that fall under their scope of responsibilities are highly qualified and trained in the provision of quality nursing services, which is geared to minimize patients’ distress.
These medical specialists are also responsible and held accountable for proper prognosis and effective treatment of the diseases that their patients suffer from, proper disease management and promoting healthcare best practices. In a wider scope, clinical nurse specialists are also responsible for efficient prevention of ailments among individuals, family groups and to a greater extent the community they find themselves.
These experts can also take research duties in the areas that might be of huge concern in the clinical setting they might be, which invariably is geared to improve the nursing approach most health facilities utilize. To this end, clinical nurse specialists can specialize in various clinical fields which include; population (geriatrics, pediatrics or even women’s health) or focus on a particular disease (diabetes or even oncology), and can also specialize on a certain medical care (physical rehabilitation or even psychiatric).
Additionally, these professionals are also obligated to devise and implement significant improvements in healthcare delivery services that fall under their scope of work. They can also serve as consultants on the appropriate care of patients to the nurses that work under them.
How can you become a clinical nurse specialist?
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Home Health Aide
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS Respiratory Therapy - Post-Licensure
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- BecomeANurseOnline.com - 100% Online/Campus Nursing Diploma Programs Available
- Are You Ready to Start Earning Your Nursing Degree in 2018? Find Affordable and Flexible CNA Programs Here!
- Answer a Few Questions to Get Free Info on Online or Campus CNA Programs Within Minutes
- Choose from Diploma, Associate, and Certificate Level Nursing Degree Options
- Get Matched to Nursing Programs Today—It's Fast, Easy, and Free!
Due to the wide scope of clinical nurse specialists’ roles, these professionals fall under the 4 advanced practice registered nurse category (the other three are certified registered nurse anaesthetic, certified midwife and nurse practitioner). They are naturally obligated to undergo extensive and comprehensive training which usually necessitates completing a master’s degree course and in some cases even doctorate degrees to become certified as bonafide clinical nurse specialists.
After successful graduation, a clinical nurse specialist can opt to sit for a certification examination from which they can focus on the specialization they wish to pursue. The certification body (The American nurses credentialing center) offer diverse evaluations which include; Adult gerontology CNS, Adult health CNS, CNS core, Home health CNS, child/adolescent psychiatric CNS, Pediatric CNS, diabetes management advanced CNS, or even public /community health CNS.
Clinical nurse specialist salary in Canada, Australia and UK
What are the clinical nurse specialist salaries in Canada?
A basic annual clinical nurse specialist salary in Canada roughly lies between $61,463 – $102, 109(Canadian dollars), which like most other places depend on the experience and expertise of the particular worker.
What are the clinical nurse specialist salaries in UK?
These professionals can earn from 24,000 – 42,000 sterling pounds basic yearly salary, whose median annual earnings is 32,562 sterling pounds.
What are the clinical nurse specialist salaries in Australia?
The annual basic salary for clinical nurse specialist in Australia falls around the range of $48,000 – $89,000. The median annual salary is $65,964 (Australian dollars).
Verdict on clinical nurse specialist salary
A career as a clinical nurse specialist apart from being highly lucrative also offers fantastic advancement opportunities in administrative roles in the medical world. It can thus be right down your alley if you aspire to take such responsibilities.