The median annual certified nursing assistant salary (CAN salary) is about $30,500. This is an hourly rate of $15 per hour. This falls well in the range of the middle 50% of employed CNAs. They make a range of salaries between $27,000 and $33,000, which is also a range of hourly rates between $13 and $16. The top ranking CNAs, those in the top 10th percentile, should see an annual income of about $36,000 or higher. This equates to an hourly rate of $18 or higher. CNAs working in the lowest 10th percentile should make on average about $12 an hour, making their yearly salaries around $25,000.
Many factors could cause the differences in salaries for CNAs. These factors may include geographic location, experience, and type of employment. CNAs working in metropolitan areas, like New York City as an example, tend to make more money than those working in rural areas. Furthermore, area of employment is very important. CNAs working in a nursing home should expect a higher income than those working as home aids.
Benefits paid by an employer should increase the total compensation a certified nursing assistant should receive in a given year. These paid benefits could include social security, pension, paid time off, and health care benefits, to name a few. The total compensation package for a CNA after benefits should be around $46,000 on average.
Job Description of a CNA
Certified nursing assistants, or CNAs, work for patients. They provide daily living needs, such as providing help with personal hygiene, comfort, and transportation, as well as monitoring vital signs. A few specific tasks taken on by a CNA may include feeding, dressing, bathing, and other daily needs. Overall, helping to make a patient comfortable, happy, and healthy is the primary job of a CNA.
How to Become a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS Respiratory Therapy - Post-Licensure
- MSN: Health Policy
- MSN: Community Health
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
The minimum requirements for a nursing assistant may be simply a high school diploma in some states. However, extended training and certification can increase job opportunities and income level for someone looking to enter the health care field.
There are specific training programs for certified nursing assistants. These programs may be found in community colleges, technical schools, or vocational schools. The program is designed to educate and train a student towards become a nursing assistant. It will also prepare students for the Certified Nursing Assistant Exam, allowing them to become licensed in their field.
CNA Salary in Other Countries (UK, Australia and Canada)
Certified nursing assistants should expect a slightly higher salary working in some other countries outside of the United States. For instance, an Australian CNA can expect an average annual income of about AU$40,000. Canada pays her CNAs only slightly less, an average of C$36,000 per year.
However, this is not true of all first-world countries. The United Kingdom pays CNAs a smaller salary on average than even those professionals just starting out in the United States. The average annual income for a CNA in the U.K. is around £15,500. This is equivalent to not quite $25,000 in America. Remember, this is the average, so many CNAs in the U.K. do get paid much less every year.
Verdict on CNA Salary
The starting CNA salary is rather small, but there is also little training involved for the profession. A program lasting only about a year could get someone on the fast-track into one of these job positions. However, it is a wonderful starting career. Since CNAs work in the health care industry, there are possibilities to move up the career ladder to a much better paying position. It is a great starter for someone who isn’t quite ready, for a number of different reasons, to go to medical school.