The median annual certified nursing assistant salary (CAN salary) is about $30,500. This is an hourly rate of $15 per hour. This falls well in the range of the middle 50% of employed CNAs. They make a range of salaries between $27,000 and $33,000, which is also a range of hourly rates between $13 and $16. The top ranking CNAs, those in the top 10th percentile, should see an annual income of about $36,000 or higher. This equates to an hourly rate of $18 or higher. CNAs working in the lowest 10th percentile should make on average about $12 an hour, making their yearly salaries around $25,000.
Many factors could cause the differences in salaries for CNAs. These factors may include geographic location, experience, and type of employment. CNAs working in metropolitan areas, like New York City as an example, tend to make more money than those working in rural areas. Furthermore, area of employment is very important. CNAs working in a nursing home should expect a higher income than those working as home aids.
Benefits paid by an employer should increase the total compensation a certified nursing assistant should receive in a given year. These paid benefits could include social security, pension, paid time off, and health care benefits, to name a few. The total compensation package for a CNA after benefits should be around $46,000 on average.
Job Description of a CNA
Certified nursing assistants, or CNAs, work for patients. They provide daily living needs, such as providing help with personal hygiene, comfort, and transportation, as well as monitoring vital signs. A few specific tasks taken on by a CNA may include feeding, dressing, bathing, and other daily needs. Overall, helping to make a patient comfortable, happy, and healthy is the primary job of a CNA.
How to Become a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Practical Nursing
- Dental Assisting
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
- Dental Assistant Diploma
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Home Health Aide
- Respiratory Therapy
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
The minimum requirements for a nursing assistant may be simply a high school diploma in some states. However, extended training and certification can increase job opportunities and income level for someone looking to enter the health care field.
There are specific training programs for certified nursing assistants. These programs may be found in community colleges, technical schools, or vocational schools. The program is designed to educate and train a student towards become a nursing assistant. It will also prepare students for the Certified Nursing Assistant Exam, allowing them to become licensed in their field.
CNA Salary in Other Countries (UK, Australia and Canada)
Certified nursing assistants should expect a slightly higher salary working in some other countries outside of the United States. For instance, an Australian CNA can expect an average annual income of about AU$40,000. Canada pays her CNAs only slightly less, an average of C$36,000 per year.
However, this is not true of all first-world countries. The United Kingdom pays CNAs a smaller salary on average than even those professionals just starting out in the United States. The average annual income for a CNA in the U.K. is around £15,500. This is equivalent to not quite $25,000 in America. Remember, this is the average, so many CNAs in the U.K. do get paid much less every year.
Verdict on CNA Salary
The starting CNA salary is rather small, but there is also little training involved for the profession. A program lasting only about a year could get someone on the fast-track into one of these job positions. However, it is a wonderful starting career. Since CNAs work in the health care industry, there are possibilities to move up the career ladder to a much better paying position. It is a great starter for someone who isn’t quite ready, for a number of different reasons, to go to medical school.