Flight Nurse Salary In The US
Flight nurses are medical professionals that are trained to provide critical care, emergency care as well as pre-hospital care to patients during an aeromedical evacuation using a jet aircraft or a helicopters. These professionals with with flight medics or physicians and they are part of the critical transport team, which takes care of the patient throughout the entire duration of the flight. In the United States of America, the average estimated salary of a flight nurse ranges between $65,000 and $70,000 a year, although some of them may make even more money in certain states.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
Flight nurses are certainly paid different across the different states of the US. For instance, those who reside in Alabama get an average yearly salary of around $65,000, while those who work in Los Angeles, California can make as much as $75,000 a year or even more. The state where flight nurses get the highest paycheck is certainly New York, where these professionals are rewarded with over $80,000a year. At the opposite end, there is the state of Kansas and Arizona, both of which pay their flight nurses with only $69,000 on a yearly basis. That being said, if you aim to pursue a well-paid career in nursing as a flight nurse, then you should certainly consider moving to either California or to the state of New York.
Flight Nurse Job Description
As stated above, these professionals are responsible for providing flight emergency medical care to those patients that are sick or injured. This is one of the highest paid areas of nursing but, at the same time, it also involves a very high level of training and responsibility. For this reason, it is highly recommended that those who want to pursue a career in flight nursing should have some experience working in intensive care as registered nurses. In some cases, a Bachelor’s Degree along with a clinical experience of at least five years in the field are required if you want to become a registered flight nurse.
In addition to the Bachelor’s Degree, flight nurses must also possess in-depth knowledge in important medical fields such as mechanical ventilation, vaso-active medication and other life saving medical techniques that are essential for emergency care.
Flight nurses have numerous duties and responsibilities, and one of them is evaluating the ailments of the patients to see if they need proper medical care and treatment until they reach the hospital. Also, these professionals must act as communicators between the flight medical team and the flight crew, they must keep the patients safe and secure throughout the entire flight, they need to perform incisions and even small surgical procedures if required, followed by stitching up the injuries.
Flight nurses must also have some experience with blood transfusions, as sometimes they may need to replace the blood the patient has lost either during the surgery or after a traumatic event. This involves some knowledge and experience with various blood transfusion devices. It is also the responsibility of the flight nurse to administer oral medications and injections to the patient and to provide them with all the necessary medical care.
The duties and responsibilities of flight nurses are not limited to those mentioned above, as these health care professionals often need to get actively involved in saving missions. For instance, they need to save people who are caught in a flood following a hurricane, as well as those who are trapped in cars during car accidents. Flight nurses usually respond to people in distress after an earthquake as well. These professionals can work with public hospitals, private medical evacuation firms or even fire departments.
There are two types of flight nurses at the moment: the military flight nurses, which are part of the aeromedical evacuation crew and they provide in-flight management and medical care for all types of patients, and the civilian flight nurses.
How To Become A Flight Nurse?
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Patient Care Technician
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- And more...
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- Earn a nursing degree focused on leadership & expanding technologies in healthcare
- SACS accredited with flexible options for Associate, Bachelor & Master degrees
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Accelerated)
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU could help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional community, faculty who are real-world professionals, and innovative technology. And several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Programs in 2017.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
The first and most important step you need to take if you want to become a flight nurse is earning your high school diploma or an equivalent, usually a GED. After that, you need to apply to an accredited university, for a program that will result in a Bachelor’s Of Science degree in Nursing – these programs typically take four years to complete, and you need to meet certain requirements in order to be eligible for the program. Once you have done that, you need to enter in the four year nursing program and then pass the national licensing exam, as this is a very important part for all those who consider becoming flight nurses.
Once you have done that, you can easily get a nursing job at a health care facility, a hospital or any other clinical settings where the services of a skilled and trained flight nurse are required. It is not uncommon for these professionals to work in other places as well in order to get all the experience they need. Also, flight nurses must always be up to date with the latest news, this is why they need to take continuing education courses and all the necessary certification for this position. In order to become a flight nurse, you usually need between 3 to 5 years of clinical experience in a critical health care setting. After that, you can get your certification and get a job as a flight nurse.
As a flight nurse, you can choose to get your certification in different important areas such as basic life support, CPR, pediatric advanced life support, advanced cardiac life support, certified emergency nurse and such.
Flight Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And UK
A Canadian flight nurse earns around C$85,000 on a yearly basis, while a flight nurse that lives and works in the United Kingdom is usually rewarded with a salary between 25,000 and 35,000 pounds a year, although this depends a lot on the working environment. In Australia, these professionals earn around AU$81,000 per year.
Verdict On Flight Nurse Salary
Flight nurses usually need to deal with very stressful situations, but they payment is directly proportional to all the stress and the work volume!