Flight Nurse Salary In The US
Flight nurses are medical professionals that are trained to provide critical care, emergency care as well as pre-hospital care to patients during an aeromedical evacuation using a jet aircraft or a helicopters. These professionals with with flight medics or physicians and they are part of the critical transport team, which takes care of the patient throughout the entire duration of the flight. In the United States of America, the average estimated salary of a flight nurse ranges between $65,000 and $70,000 a year, although some of them may make even more money in certain states.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
Flight nurses are certainly paid different across the different states of the US. For instance, those who reside in Alabama get an average yearly salary of around $65,000, while those who work in Los Angeles, California can make as much as $75,000 a year or even more. The state where flight nurses get the highest paycheck is certainly New York, where these professionals are rewarded with over $80,000a year. At the opposite end, there is the state of Kansas and Arizona, both of which pay their flight nurses with only $69,000 on a yearly basis. That being said, if you aim to pursue a well-paid career in nursing as a flight nurse, then you should certainly consider moving to either California or to the state of New York.
Flight Nurse Job Description
As stated above, these professionals are responsible for providing flight emergency medical care to those patients that are sick or injured. This is one of the highest paid areas of nursing but, at the same time, it also involves a very high level of training and responsibility. For this reason, it is highly recommended that those who want to pursue a career in flight nursing should have some experience working in intensive care as registered nurses. In some cases, a Bachelor’s Degree along with a clinical experience of at least five years in the field are required if you want to become a registered flight nurse.
In addition to the Bachelor’s Degree, flight nurses must also possess in-depth knowledge in important medical fields such as mechanical ventilation, vaso-active medication and other life saving medical techniques that are essential for emergency care.
Flight nurses have numerous duties and responsibilities, and one of them is evaluating the ailments of the patients to see if they need proper medical care and treatment until they reach the hospital. Also, these professionals must act as communicators between the flight medical team and the flight crew, they must keep the patients safe and secure throughout the entire flight, they need to perform incisions and even small surgical procedures if required, followed by stitching up the injuries.
Flight nurses must also have some experience with blood transfusions, as sometimes they may need to replace the blood the patient has lost either during the surgery or after a traumatic event. This involves some knowledge and experience with various blood transfusion devices. It is also the responsibility of the flight nurse to administer oral medications and injections to the patient and to provide them with all the necessary medical care.
The duties and responsibilities of flight nurses are not limited to those mentioned above, as these health care professionals often need to get actively involved in saving missions. For instance, they need to save people who are caught in a flood following a hurricane, as well as those who are trapped in cars during car accidents. Flight nurses usually respond to people in distress after an earthquake as well. These professionals can work with public hospitals, private medical evacuation firms or even fire departments.
There are two types of flight nurses at the moment: the military flight nurses, which are part of the aeromedical evacuation crew and they provide in-flight management and medical care for all types of patients, and the civilian flight nurses.
How To Become A Flight Nurse?
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
The first and most important step you need to take if you want to become a flight nurse is earning your high school diploma or an equivalent, usually a GED. After that, you need to apply to an accredited university, for a program that will result in a Bachelor’s Of Science degree in Nursing – these programs typically take four years to complete, and you need to meet certain requirements in order to be eligible for the program. Once you have done that, you need to enter in the four year nursing program and then pass the national licensing exam, as this is a very important part for all those who consider becoming flight nurses.
Once you have done that, you can easily get a nursing job at a health care facility, a hospital or any other clinical settings where the services of a skilled and trained flight nurse are required. It is not uncommon for these professionals to work in other places as well in order to get all the experience they need. Also, flight nurses must always be up to date with the latest news, this is why they need to take continuing education courses and all the necessary certification for this position. In order to become a flight nurse, you usually need between 3 to 5 years of clinical experience in a critical health care setting. After that, you can get your certification and get a job as a flight nurse.
As a flight nurse, you can choose to get your certification in different important areas such as basic life support, CPR, pediatric advanced life support, advanced cardiac life support, certified emergency nurse and such.
Flight Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And UK
A Canadian flight nurse earns around C$85,000 on a yearly basis, while a flight nurse that lives and works in the United Kingdom is usually rewarded with a salary between 25,000 and 35,000 pounds a year, although this depends a lot on the working environment. In Australia, these professionals earn around AU$81,000 per year.
Verdict On Flight Nurse Salary
Flight nurses usually need to deal with very stressful situations, but they payment is directly proportional to all the stress and the work volume!