Labour And Delivery Nurse Salary In The United States
Labor and delivery nurses are very much appreciated everywhere in the world, as they assist the pregnant mother and help her deliver the baby in a fast, safe and secure manner. These professionals typically earn a median yearly wage of around $55,000 a year, although those who have solid background and experience in the field can make as much as $70,000. On the other hand, labor and delivery nurses who have Master’s Degrees in nursing or higher degrees can earn even more than that, especially if they live in large metropolitan areas as opposed to rural areas.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
The salary of labor and delivery nurses can vary a lot from state to state, and the highest annual salaries are paid in the state of Arizona, where these health care professionals earn around $67,000 a year. On the other hand, the states of Colorado and Texas also offer labor and delivery nurses a salary that is over $65,000 a year. The states of Florida and Pennsylvania typically reward their labor and delivery nurses with salaries that range between $60,000 and $62,000.
Labor And Delivery Nurse Job Description
As the name involves, these health care professionals are responsible with delivering the baby and assisting the pregnant mothers throughout the entire process of childbirth. The duties and requirements of the labor and delivery nurses are very similar to those of perinatal nurses, the difference is that the labor and delivery nurse is responsible to determine the fetal heart rate and see whether the labor process is going as planned. These nursing professionals take care not only of the mother but also of the baby, as it is also part of their job responsibilities to constantly monitor the temperature, the contractions as well as the blood pressure of the mother, and to keep an eye on the cervical dilation.
Labor and delivery nurses offer their medical expertise and services before the birth process, during and after that – these professionals usually coach the pregnant woman with various pushing and breathing exercises, and they alert the physicians on duty immediately as they notice complications. In some cases, they might need to assist a caesarian section and to help the physician with administering the additional pain management medications.
The labor nurse must start the IV and administer the fluids as well as the labor stimulating drugs in order to facilitate the labor and to help the mother give birth to the child faster, easier and safer, from a medical standpoint. Given the fact that the job of labor and delivery nurses is not the easiest one, is it essential for these professionals to have good critical thinking skills and to have an impeccable professional judgement. It is also extremely important for the labor and delivery nurse to have in-depth medical knowledge and to know precisely when to alert the physician, if there are any complications that arise during the process.
How To Become A Labor And Delivery Nurse?
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
If you want to become a labor and delivery nurse, then it is important to know that there are several notable educational requirements that you must meet in order to advance in the position. First and foremost, most of the professionals who work in this field of nursing have a Bachelor’s Degree and a Master’s Degree in nursing, provided by an accredited college or a vocational institution. In addition to all the certifications and degrees that certify the theoretical knowledge and skills of the labor and delivery nurse, these professionals must also have some on the job training that typically takes place in a hospital setting, under the close supervision of the most experienced and skilled labor and delivery nurses.
If you aim for a Bachelor’s Degree, you should know that this typically requires you up to four years to get it, and the Master’s Degree of Science of Nursing takes two additional years. Education plays a crucial role, as not only will it help you get a higher salary, but it will also help you get a more stable job and to work your way to the top of the career, given the fact that labor and delivery nurses have a series of job opportunities and the job outlook is rather encouraging as well.
Nonetheless, it must be said that being a good labor and delivery nurse takes a lot more than just theoretical and practical training, as it is very important for these health care professionals to have very good communication skills, to be independent and critical thinkers as well as to possess the ability of developing straightforward plans of care depending on the individual needs and requirements of every pregnant woman. These professionals must also have a great attention to detail as well as a high degree of compassion and sympathy for the patients. It is very important to provide physical, medical, psychological and emotional support for the mother.
If you have gotten yourself a Bachelor’s and a Master’s Degree in the Science of Nursing and you aim for a labor and delivery nurse certification, then you must know that nurse program graduates must pass the NCLEX-RN exam in order to get their license. NCLEX-RN stands for the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses, and it requires a Bachelor’s or an Associate’s Degree in nursing provided by an accredited nursing program.
The licensing requirements may vary slightly from one US state to another, this is why it is essential to get in touch with the Board of Nursing in the state where you plan to work as a labor and delivery nurse. Nevertheless, regardless of the state where you live and plan to work, you must successfully pass the NCLEX-RN examination in order to get your certification. It often happens that some labor and delivery nurses firstly become registered nurses and only after that they choose to pursue a specialization in the field of labor and delivery. The credentialing is provided by the American Nurses Credentialing Center
Labor And Delivery Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
Labor and delivery nurses who live and work in the UK should expect an annual salary of around 30,000 pounds, while those from Canada typically earn around C$55,000 on an annual basis. At the same time, labor and delivery nurses who work in Australia typically earn around AU$33,000 a year.
Verdict On Labor And Delivery Nurse Salary
To summarize, L&D salaries are usually very rewarding, given the time and the money these health care professionals invest in their education and training.