The median annual salary for a licensed practical nurse is $42,000. This is also $20 per hour. The range for the middle 50% of LPNs falls between $38,000 and $46,000, which is also a range between $19 and $22 per hour. For medical field standards, these salaries are extremely low, but it is still more than enough to keep a small family comfortable year to year. Even LPNs just starting out receive decent pay: about $17 per hour. That adds up to $35,500 per year. However, experienced and educated professionals will see a much higher income, about $50,000 or higher. This is equal to about $24 or higher per hour.
Many factors can determine the differences in salaries for LPNs. Experience and education has already been mentioned, and these play a role in just about every professional job position out there. Geographic location and type of employment also play a role. It is common to see higher salaries for professionals working in metropolitan areas rather than rural ones. This is based on the standard of living seen in cities rather than in the country. Furthermore, type of employment will play a role. For instance, government employed LPNs should expect a higher salary than those working in private offices and hospitals.
The total compensation package for an LPN after benefits is $46,000 on average. Paid benefits from an employer that are added to this compensation package may include social security, pension, vacation time, and health insurance, among others.
Job Description of an LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse)
Licensed practical nurses perform many of the normal roles and duties within the nursing field. They help to care for patients, administer tests and examinations, and work with other members of the health care industry to provide the best health care to patients. While registered nurses and nurse practitioners may work independently, LPNs must be supervised by a registered nurse and/or a doctor.
These professionals are described as LPNs in all but two of the fifty states. Both California and Texas call these nurses licensed vocational nurses (LVN). LVNs may work in nursing homes, physician’s offices, community care, private and public hospitals, or home health settings. The same goes for the LPNs of the other 48 states.
The daily duties of an LPN changes from state to state. Some states allow LPNs to perform much the same duties as an RN, even allowing them to start and change IV as well as administer medication through IV. Other states limit the abilities of an LPN. While LPNs work under RNs and NPs, they are directly responsible for the supervision of nursing assistants, attendants, and orderlies.
How to Become an LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse)
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Practical Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Patient Care Technician
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
The training programs for becoming a licensed practical nurse can be found in community colleges or vocational schools. Generally, one year of full-time study is required to complete the program. In recent years, many of these programs have launched an online classroom, allowing students to complete virtually all of their coursework through the internet.
These training programs offer classroom instruction on nursing practices, anatomy, pharmacology, and more. However, clinical experience is also required to graduate from the program. Most of the time, clinical training will take place in a hospital, but clinics and nursing homes are also suitable training facilities for LPNs. A certificate for practical nursing is obtained after the completion of this program.
Now the graduate may receive a license to practice. All states require LPNs to be licensed, so the National Council Licensure Examination must be passed by all who wish to become an LPN.
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) Salary in Other Countries (Australia, Canada and UK)
The professionals known as licensed practical nurses in the United States may be called by other names throughout first-world countries, and the salaries will differ as well. Australia calls their LPNs enrolled nurses, and they may receive an average annual salary of AU$40,000. LPNs are actually called RPNs (Registered Practical Nurses) in Canada. RPNs will see on average a salary of about C$54,000 every year.
LPNs go by yet another name in the United Kingdom. There, they are known as SENs (State Enrolled Nurses). These professionals should expect to see an average annual salary of about £18,500. This is equivalent to not quite $30,000 in America. However, the U.K. tends to pay lower salaries to their health care professionals, so this is nothing new.
Verdict on LPN Salary (Licensed Practical Nurse Salary)
An LPN will go by many names based on the country or state he or she is working in. However, this fast-track to the medical career can be extremely lucrative for some people. The training program only lasts a year. Further education could be taken later on to become a registered nurse. Even further training after that could take an LPN to the ranks of a nurse practitioner. These professionals can see six figure salaries every year. So, while the going might be tough at the beginning for an LPN, there is a ton of potential to move up. The career ladder of the medical field is a lucrative one, to say the least.