LVN stands for licensed vocational nurse, and the salary of these health care professionals depends a lot on their education, experience, location as well as their overall set of skills. The average yearly salary for a licensed vocational nurse in the United States of America is of around $47,000, although this depends on whether they work in nursing homes, hospitals or any other type of individual institution.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
The salary of the licensed vocational nurse varies a lot from one state to another. The state of Connecticut is known to offer the highest yearly salary for these health care professionals, as LVNs who work here earn around $60,000 a year. On the other hand, the states of Washington DC, New Jersey, California as well as Massachusetts also offer them some very rewarding salaries, between $57,000 and $58,000 a year, both of which are above the national average.
Licensed Vocational Nurse Job Description
Just like any other nurse, the licensed vocational nurse is trained to handle blood samples and to work in various health care and medical facilities where they provide patients with basic medical care. The LVNs typically work under the close supervision of a doctor, a physician or a registered nurse, and they deal with a wide array of medical duties and requirements.
In a nutshell, the basic medical duties of these professionals include taking the vital signs of the patient, changing their dressings and bandages, monitoring and recording their medical status and symptoms, as well as helping doctors and physicians administer different therapies and treatments. It is very important that a good licensed vocational nurse possesses impeccable communication skills, as they will need to work closely with doctors and nurses in order to provide patients with the best medical treatment they can get.
In addition to the formal training, it is important that LVNs possess good stamina, given the fact that they will have to spend a lot of time on their feet. Moreover, the licensed vocational nurses must also be very compassionate and show empaty towards their patients, who may be confused or in pain. It is also very important that these health care professionals possess a great attention to details, in order to provide accurate and efficient treatments. Good interpersonal skills are also required, as they must be friendly and personable with their patience, while patience is very important for helping patients understand their medical treatment, especially since most of them are frightened or in pain.
How To Become A Licensed Vocational Nurse
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Practical Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Patient Care Technician
- And more...
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
Commonly referred to as a LPN or a licensed practical nurse, the licensed vocational nurse is a professional that can gain this title without too much of a hassle. In other words, it is far easier to become a LVN than to become another medical professional, as it requires less education as opposed to registered nurses or even advanced practice nurses. Even so, licensed vocational nurses still need to have a very good insight into human anatomy, medical terminology and a variety of other essential medical aspects.
In addition to the duties and requirements mentioned above, it is also the duty of the LPN or the LVN to feed and bathe the patient, to monitor their vital signs, to collect different blood, urine and stool samples that will be sent to the laboratory for testing, to give them injections and administer the treatment, to manage the medical equipment as well as to dress the wounds following a surgery. It is also important for the LVN to collect information about the patient and their medical history.
Simply put, becoming a licensed vocational nurse required either a high school diploma or a GED, which is basically an equivalent of the high school diploma. Once you get the diploma, you can enroll in a one-year training and education program at your local vocational or community school, where you will get both theoretical and practical experience.
After you complete that 12 months of training, you will need to sit for the NCLEX-PN test which is administered by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing. If you manage to pass that exam, then you will officially become a licensed vocational nurse. The exam is focused on several different psychological and medical aspect, such as the medical environment, health maintenance and promotion as well as the psychosocial integrity of the patient.
The good news regarding licensed vocational nurses is that the job outlook at the moment is excellent, and there is a one-fifth growth in the demand of new health care professionals at the moment. As a matter of fact, the vocational nursing field is considered to be one of the fastest growing health careers in the entire medical industry.
License And Certification
As the name implies, a LVN requires a license in order to be able to legally practice their profession in the United States of America. After having completed an accredited educational program, it is important that the LVN sits and pass a licensing exam that is required by all the 50 states of the US. However, it must be said that the licensure is different from the certification – while the first one is required in order for the licensed vocational nurse to actually practice in the medical field, the latter is purely optional and it is entirely up to the LVN to decide whether or not they will get their certification.
The certification for licensed vocational nurses, on the other hand, is granted by an independent credentialing organization and it proves that the LVN in question has advanced skills, experience, knowledge and training in their field of activity.
Licensed Vocational Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
The average yearly salary of a licensed vocational nurse in the United Kingdom is of 38,000 pounds, while those who live and work in Canada usually earn around C$23/hour. At the same time, Australian LVNs usually earn around 50,000 a year.
Verdict On LVN Salary
To summarize, licensed vocational nurses are well-paid across all the 50 states of the United States, although the United Kingdom seems to be a far better choice for those who want to specialize in this medical field.