Neonatal nurse practitioners have the same duties and responsibilities like all the other nurse practitioners working in the medical field in the United States of America, the sole difference is that the neonatal ones take care of infants, from the moment they are born. This is a particularly challenging medical profession, given the fact that many infants are born premature nowadays and they require more supervision and attention.
These professionals monitor the vital signs of the little ones, check their temperature and monitor their overall evolution throughout the days. It is important for them to earn a Master’s Degree in Nursing in order to work. That being said, the average yearly salary of a neonatal nurse practitioner can range anywhere from $53,000 to as much as $70,000 a year, although this depends a lot on the geographical location of the nurse, the age as well as the training and expertise.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
It is a known fact that health care providers – and not only – earn different salaries across the different states of the USA. It is their experience and their geographical location that have an impact on the final paycheck, and at the time being those who live in the Rocky Mountains states make salaries of up to $95,000 a year. On the other hand, neonatal nurse practitioners who live and work in the Western states of the USA tend to make as much as $110,000 a year, while those from the South as well as those with up to two decades of experience can make even more than that.
Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Job Description
These professionals take care of both ailing and premature newborns in the intensive care units of clinics and state hospitals. At the same time, neonatal nurse practitioners (most commonly referred to as NNPs) also work in developmental paediatric clinics and specialty practices. They are often the primary health care providers for these newborns who require extra medical care and attention, and it often happens that neonatal nurse practitioners work with babies who suffer from different disorders or abnormalities, from congenital heart defects to respiratory problems or a very low birth weight. All of these issues can put the life of the infant at risk, but this is where the neonatal nurse practitioner steps in and provides high-quality medical care.
Generally speaking, it is the duty of the neonatal nurse practitioners to carefully supervise the evolution of the little ones, and to carefully use the advanced medical equipments like ventilators and incubators, which often happen to make the difference between life and death for the little ones. Moreover, neonatal nurse practitioners also work with pediatric doctors and surgeries, and it is an important part of their duty to educate the parents and other family members on the different congenital defects and disorders that may require special attention throughout the life of the little one.
In addition to the basic duties and responsibilities mentioned above, it is also the duty of the neonatal nurse practitioner to insert intravenous lines safely and securely and to conduct lumbar punctures whenever it is necessary. It is also their duty to teach the neonatal team everything they need to know about the condition of the infant, as the neonatal nurse practitioners are an important part of the team. They must participate in medical research and always be up to date with the latest discoveries in the field, and they must also offer efficient counseling services, both to parents and to doctors. In some cases, the neonatal nurse practitioner even offers emotional support to the relatives, if the newborn is suffering from a severe condition that can put the life of the little one at risk.
Working as a neonatal nurse practitioner is undoubtedly very demanding and tiresome at times, both from a physical and an emotional point of view, as this can be a very challenging profession. However, there is nothing more rewarding for a health care provider who chooses to specialize in this field than seeing the infant they took care of growing to be healthy. Some of the newborns are so fragile that they do not survive, this is why it is important for the neonatal nurse practitioner to be tough and to know when to be strong.
How To Become A Neonatal Nurse Practitioner?
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- And more...
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
While it is true that the formal training plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of every neonatal nurse practitioner these days, it is extremely important to possess a set of innate skills such as speed and diligence, as the life of the neonate often depends on it. These professionals are trained to specialize in intensive and neonatal care, and they usually start off by getting either an Associate’s Degree or a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. While the first degree requires two years of study, the latter usually takes around four. After that, it is important for the neonatal nurse practitioners to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam and to pass it in order to get licensed, and then they must work in the neonatal intensive care unit of either a hospital or a private clinic in order to get the practical experience they will so much need in the future. A Master’s Degree or even a Doctoral Degree in Nurse Practice is required for those who want to take their medical career a mile further and become fully licensed as neonatal nurse practitioners.
License And Certification
While the licensure is of paramount importance for every neonatal nurse practitioner, the certification is purely optional and in order to get it, the nurse must sit for the National Certification Corporation exam for neonatal nurse practitioners. They need to be registered nurses in their state (the license must be offered by the Board of Nursing), and in order to do that they must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in the Science of Nursing, most commonly known as a BSN. Throughout the length of the training program, students are trained in fields like pharmacology, human anatomy or nursing.
Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
In Canada, a NNP gets around CAD$112,000, in Australia around Au$95,000 while in the United Kingdom they should expect to be paid anywhere between 30,000 and as much as 80,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Salary
NPPS receive great salaries in the United States of America, and the most skilled and experienced ones can easily make a six figure yearly income!