Nurse aides, commonly known as NAs, work under the close supervision of an older, more experienced and registered nurse, physician or doctor. As the name implies, these health care provider work as assistants and they usually help the patients with basic tasks like feeding, dressing or bathing, they do not provide medical services directly. However, some of the nurse aides may have some medical training and they can check the blood pressure and take the temperature of the patient. The median yearly wage of a nurse aide is of around $34,000 in the United States of America, although this can vary from one state to another.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
One of the highest paying states for nurse aides is the state of Massachusetts, where these professionals make around $40,000 a year, followed by the state of Alaska with a median yearly wage of just under $40,000. The state of Michigan also offers them a salary that tends to be above the national average, while the District of Columbia pays them with around $38,000 a year. Moreover, Nevada gives them a median pay of $35,000, and so does the state of Minnesota.
Nurse Aide Job Description
Also known as nursing assistants, hospital attendants or geriatric aides, nurse aides are professionals who perform routine tasks and who provide hands-on experience. Generally speaking, nurse aides deal with a variety of tasks related to the care of the patient, and they often help them eat, dress and bathe. On the other hand, it is not uncommon for the nurse aide to also make the beds, clean up the rooms, answer phone calls, reply to e-mails and such.
Nurse aides work closely with patients, especially those who suffer from chronic diseases or who have undergone a serious surgery and need professional assistance to get out of bed and to walk around the room. They can also provide skin care treatments to those who need it, they store and move the supply and even assist the certified nurses with different procedures. It is also the responsibility of the nurse aide to carefully observe the emotional, mental and physical state of the patient, and to see whether there is any improvement. All the chances will be reported either to the head nurse or to the doctor who is in charge with that case.
Some of the most common activities performed by nurse aides include cleaning and bathing the residents or the patients, serving them hot meals and helping them eat, measuring their vital signs and taking their blood pressure and temperature. Moreover, it is also the responsibility of the nurse aid to turn and transfer the patients from one bed to another, and to help them dress or use the toilet if they require assistance.
How To Become A Nurse Aide?
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- And more...
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MSN: Health Policy
- MSN: Community Health
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Becoming a nurse aide does take some time and practice, an these specialized training programs typically vary from one month to six months. There may be some longer training programs available for those who truly want to get a deeper insight into this field, and most of them are provided by healthcare training schools, community colleges or vocational and technical high schools. The American Red Cross offers thorough training programs as well, and these programs encompass fields like human anatomy, nutrition as well as some elements of physiology.
If you have decided to pursue a career as a nurse aide in the United States of America, then you need to know that you can do that without having to worry about getting a license or a certification. You can get a certification but that is purely optional, and it will surely increase your job opportunities. However, it is not uncommon for some employers to require their NAs to be certified as well. You need to pass a competency exam administered by the state in which you reside and work in order to get the certification.
Nurse Aide Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, a nurse aide makes around Ca$35,000 a year, while in Australia the median yearly wage ranges between Au$33,000 and Au$52,000. At the same time, a nurse aide who works in the United Kingdom should expect a salary between 10,000 and 26,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Nurse Aide Salary
To conclude, the salary of a nurse aide tends to be very low, but you can enjoy better job prospects by simply getting your certification.