Certified nurse midwives are trained medical professionals who choose to specialize in the field of gynecology and obstetrics. In order to become certified, they must pass a national certification exam. As you may know already, the primary duty of the certified nurse midwife is to deliver babies and, in some cases, they are the primary care providers for women. Nurse midwives assist pregnant women before they deliver, during the delivery and after they deliver the baby, and the median yearly wage is of around $94,000, although their salary can vary greatly depending on different factors.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
The highest paying state for certified nurse midwives at the moment is Minnesota, with around $116,000, followed by the state of California with approximately $113,000, Wisconsin with just over $111,000 a year and the state of New Hampshire with approximately $108,000 a year. The state of Arizona pays its certified nurse midwives a median yearly salary of around $104,000, while the state of New Jersey rewards them with just under $100,000 a year. Maryland pays them with around $96,000, and what all the states mentioned above have in common is the fact that they all pay nurse midwives salaries that are above the national average.
Nurse Midwife Job Description
The main duty of the nurse midwife is to provide high-quality medical care to women, from useful advice, tips and hints on birth control and gynecological cancer screenings to how to take care of their baby throughout the entire pregnancy. Nurse midwives offer prenatal care services and they often assist the pregnant women during the labor and delivery process. These professionals can either work for state hospitals or for private clinics, although they are usually found in specialized birthing centers.
It is the duty of the nurse midwife to assist women during all the phases of their pregnancy, to check their vital signs and to work closely with women in order to make sure that they keep up with all the tests. Moreover, it is also their duty to assist the women with the childbirth and to offer post-partum care and attention as well. Nurse midwives usually take care both of the mother and of the child, and they work closely with gynecologists and other professionals from this area.
The nurse midwife is often an important part of a larger team of doctors, and they work closely with other health care professionals and visit the pregnant woman multiple times throughout the course of her pregnancy. It is the duty of the nurse midwife to create a safe, secure and comfortable environment for the pregnant woman, one where she feels good both before the delivery and after the baby has been delivered.
How To Become A Nurse Midwife?
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing : Executive Leader
- Family Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assisting
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- MSN - Informatics (Online)
- MSN Advanced Generalist (Online)
- RN to MSN - Advanced Generalist (Online)
- And more...
Wilkes University’s School of Nursing offers CCNE-accredited online degrees and certificate programs ideal for working health care professionals, instructed by experienced, respected faculty dedicated to mentoring and personalized support for every student. Our nursing degrees offer the cutting-edge professional knowledge and skills needed in today’s dynamic, evolving health care industry.
- RN to MS - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nursing Informatics
- DNP - Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
The first step towards getting your degrees and pursuing a lucrative career as a nurse midwife is to get your Bachelor’s Degree in sciences. Only after that you can move on to becoming a registered nurse and receiving highly specialized training in the field known as nursing midwifery. After you get your Bachelor’s Degree, it is important to receive your Master’s Degree in this training field and then to pursue a certification in the field. Nowadays, most employers prefer to hire professionals who are certified. Continuing education courses are also essential in order to keep up to date with the training.
The eligibility requirements for becoming a certified nurse midwife can vary slightly from state to state, although the basic requirements are the same: you need to have at least a Bachelor’s Degree in science and to work as a registered nurse. However, a Master’s Degree is important as well in order to sit for the certification exam. If you pass the exam, you will get your certification that is provided by the ACME, acronym that stands for the Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education.
Nurse Midwife Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, the median yearly wage for these professionals is of CAD$21,000-CAD$44,000, in Australia these professionals make between Au$25 and Au$35 per hour while in the United Kingdom, a nurse midwife makes between 21,000 and 27,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Nurse Midwife Salary
To sum it up, nurse midwives get a very high yearly salary that often exceeds six figures.