Certified nurse midwives are trained medical professionals who choose to specialize in the field of gynecology and obstetrics. In order to become certified, they must pass a national certification exam. As you may know already, the primary duty of the certified nurse midwife is to deliver babies and, in some cases, they are the primary care providers for women. Nurse midwives assist pregnant women before they deliver, during the delivery and after they deliver the baby, and the median yearly wage is of around $94,000, although their salary can vary greatly depending on different factors.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
The highest paying state for certified nurse midwives at the moment is Minnesota, with around $116,000, followed by the state of California with approximately $113,000, Wisconsin with just over $111,000 a year and the state of New Hampshire with approximately $108,000 a year. The state of Arizona pays its certified nurse midwives a median yearly salary of around $104,000, while the state of New Jersey rewards them with just under $100,000 a year. Maryland pays them with around $96,000, and what all the states mentioned above have in common is the fact that they all pay nurse midwives salaries that are above the national average.
Nurse Midwife Job Description
The main duty of the nurse midwife is to provide high-quality medical care to women, from useful advice, tips and hints on birth control and gynecological cancer screenings to how to take care of their baby throughout the entire pregnancy. Nurse midwives offer prenatal care services and they often assist the pregnant women during the labor and delivery process. These professionals can either work for state hospitals or for private clinics, although they are usually found in specialized birthing centers.
It is the duty of the nurse midwife to assist women during all the phases of their pregnancy, to check their vital signs and to work closely with women in order to make sure that they keep up with all the tests. Moreover, it is also their duty to assist the women with the childbirth and to offer post-partum care and attention as well. Nurse midwives usually take care both of the mother and of the child, and they work closely with gynecologists and other professionals from this area.
The nurse midwife is often an important part of a larger team of doctors, and they work closely with other health care professionals and visit the pregnant woman multiple times throughout the course of her pregnancy. It is the duty of the nurse midwife to create a safe, secure and comfortable environment for the pregnant woman, one where she feels good both before the delivery and after the baby has been delivered.
How To Become A Nurse Midwife?
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Practical Nursing
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Medical Assistant Associate's Degree
- Medical Assistant Diploma
The first step towards getting your degrees and pursuing a lucrative career as a nurse midwife is to get your Bachelor’s Degree in sciences. Only after that you can move on to becoming a registered nurse and receiving highly specialized training in the field known as nursing midwifery. After you get your Bachelor’s Degree, it is important to receive your Master’s Degree in this training field and then to pursue a certification in the field. Nowadays, most employers prefer to hire professionals who are certified. Continuing education courses are also essential in order to keep up to date with the training.
The eligibility requirements for becoming a certified nurse midwife can vary slightly from state to state, although the basic requirements are the same: you need to have at least a Bachelor’s Degree in science and to work as a registered nurse. However, a Master’s Degree is important as well in order to sit for the certification exam. If you pass the exam, you will get your certification that is provided by the ACME, acronym that stands for the Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education.
Nurse Midwife Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, the median yearly wage for these professionals is of CAD$21,000-CAD$44,000, in Australia these professionals make between Au$25 and Au$35 per hour while in the United Kingdom, a nurse midwife makes between 21,000 and 27,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Nurse Midwife Salary
To sum it up, nurse midwives get a very high yearly salary that often exceeds six figures.