Certified nurse midwives are trained medical professionals who choose to specialize in the field of gynecology and obstetrics. In order to become certified, they must pass a national certification exam. As you may know already, the primary duty of the certified nurse midwife is to deliver babies and, in some cases, they are the primary care providers for women. Nurse midwives assist pregnant women before they deliver, during the delivery and after they deliver the baby, and the median yearly wage is of around $94,000, although their salary can vary greatly depending on different factors.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
The highest paying state for certified nurse midwives at the moment is Minnesota, with around $116,000, followed by the state of California with approximately $113,000, Wisconsin with just over $111,000 a year and the state of New Hampshire with approximately $108,000 a year. The state of Arizona pays its certified nurse midwives a median yearly salary of around $104,000, while the state of New Jersey rewards them with just under $100,000 a year. Maryland pays them with around $96,000, and what all the states mentioned above have in common is the fact that they all pay nurse midwives salaries that are above the national average.
Nurse Midwife Job Description
The main duty of the nurse midwife is to provide high-quality medical care to women, from useful advice, tips and hints on birth control and gynecological cancer screenings to how to take care of their baby throughout the entire pregnancy. Nurse midwives offer prenatal care services and they often assist the pregnant women during the labor and delivery process. These professionals can either work for state hospitals or for private clinics, although they are usually found in specialized birthing centers.
It is the duty of the nurse midwife to assist women during all the phases of their pregnancy, to check their vital signs and to work closely with women in order to make sure that they keep up with all the tests. Moreover, it is also their duty to assist the women with the childbirth and to offer post-partum care and attention as well. Nurse midwives usually take care both of the mother and of the child, and they work closely with gynecologists and other professionals from this area.
The nurse midwife is often an important part of a larger team of doctors, and they work closely with other health care professionals and visit the pregnant woman multiple times throughout the course of her pregnancy. It is the duty of the nurse midwife to create a safe, secure and comfortable environment for the pregnant woman, one where she feels good both before the delivery and after the baby has been delivered.
How To Become A Nurse Midwife?
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assisting
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- RN-BSN (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
The first step towards getting your degrees and pursuing a lucrative career as a nurse midwife is to get your Bachelor’s Degree in sciences. Only after that you can move on to becoming a registered nurse and receiving highly specialized training in the field known as nursing midwifery. After you get your Bachelor’s Degree, it is important to receive your Master’s Degree in this training field and then to pursue a certification in the field. Nowadays, most employers prefer to hire professionals who are certified. Continuing education courses are also essential in order to keep up to date with the training.
The eligibility requirements for becoming a certified nurse midwife can vary slightly from state to state, although the basic requirements are the same: you need to have at least a Bachelor’s Degree in science and to work as a registered nurse. However, a Master’s Degree is important as well in order to sit for the certification exam. If you pass the exam, you will get your certification that is provided by the ACME, acronym that stands for the Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education.
Nurse Midwife Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, the median yearly wage for these professionals is of CAD$21,000-CAD$44,000, in Australia these professionals make between Au$25 and Au$35 per hour while in the United Kingdom, a nurse midwife makes between 21,000 and 27,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Nurse Midwife Salary
To sum it up, nurse midwives get a very high yearly salary that often exceeds six figures.