Nursing informatics is a relatively new field in the health care industry, and it has emerged along with the ever-growing and expanding field of informatics. Simply put, the field of nursing informatics is closely related to information technology, and it has to do with the implementation of EMRs, or electronic medical records used for clinical care. These professionals determine the electronic needs of the clinical workforce, and it is aimed at different IT applications and electronic documentation systems. The median yearly wage of an informatics nurse in the United States of America usually varies between $48,000 and as much as $95,000, although it is not uncommon for these professionals to get even a higher salary at times.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
One of the states where nurse informatics get the highest salary is the District of Columbia, where they are paid with around $104,000, followed by Maryland where their median wage is of around $95,000 and Virginia, with little over $94,000. The fourth highest paying state is West Virginia with little over $82,000, followed by California with around $81,000, Massachusetts and Washington with approximately $80,000 a year.
Informatics Nurse Job Description
Informatics nurses deal with a variety of IT related tasks and responsibilities, and their primary purpose is to improve the communications in the nursing field in order to make it more efficient. At the same time, it is also the duty of the informatics nurse to reduce the costs in the health care industry, and to improve the quality of the medical services offered to patients.
Nursing informatics is a rather complex field that encompasses several different aspects, from information science and computer science to the science of nursing. Informatics nurses aim to improve the efficacy of the health care setting where they work by simply using advanced computer and information technologies in order to advance the documentation. It is their duty to improve the documentation accuracy, to analyze the clinical data as well as to get rid of all the unnecessary and time-consuming data and additional work.
Nowadays, informatics nurses develop systems that are easy to use, comprehensive, efficient and user-friendly, systems that help doctors, nurses and other health care providers to save a lot of time, money and trouble. These professionals can be found in many different health care settings, from the largest corporations and consulting firms to universities and private clinics and offices.
However, it must be said that in some cases, the informatics nurses also specialize on developing, improving and testing the systems, and in some cases they can even teach those who plan to become informatics nurses in the near future.
How To become An Informatics Nurse?
- ECPI’s programs keep you ahead of curve in today’s fast-growing tech industry
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Choose from programs in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Engineering & more
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Networking
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Master of Health Informatics
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
Becoming an informatics nurse requires you to complete a four-year college education, and in order to enroll in such a program you must firstly have a high school diploma or an equivalent. That being said, you can apply for a Bachelor’s Degree in the Science of Nursing, or you can opt for a two-year Associate’s Degree training program and then apply for your BSN degree prior to getting your certification. Some of the informatics nurses who want to make the best out of their careers even take it a mile further and apply for a Master’s Degree in Nursing Informatics. A master’s Degree not only increases their job opportunities, but it also helps them get a better salary.
In addition to the thorough, in-depth theoretical training, informatics nurses must also have impeccable critical thinking skills and analytical skills in order to keep up with the continuous work flow. They must also be able to work as team leaders and to work in a highly competitive environment. After graduating from the chosen training program, they can opt for one of the numerous positions in the nursing informatics industry: they can become nursing or health informaticists, they can become informatics managers or directors, medical or clinical informaticists, specialists of nursing informatics and so on.
The certification plays a crucial role in the career of every informatics nurse, and it involves a written and a practical exam that will culminate with the well-known credential of RN-BC, or Registered Nurse-Board Certified informatics nurse. The ANCC certification is usually offered by the Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification.
Nursing Informatics Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
In Canada, an informatics nurse gets around Cad$86,000, in Australia around Au$38,000, while the median yearly pay for an informatics nurse in the United Kingdom revolves around the sum of 40,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Nursing Informatics Salary
To conclude, if you are passionate about both medicine and computer science, then becoming a nurse informaticist can be very financially rewarding, given the positive job outlook.