Nursing informatics is a relatively new field in the health care industry, and it has emerged along with the ever-growing and expanding field of informatics. Simply put, the field of nursing informatics is closely related to information technology, and it has to do with the implementation of EMRs, or electronic medical records used for clinical care. These professionals determine the electronic needs of the clinical workforce, and it is aimed at different IT applications and electronic documentation systems. The median yearly wage of an informatics nurse in the United States of America usually varies between $48,000 and as much as $95,000, although it is not uncommon for these professionals to get even a higher salary at times.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
One of the states where nurse informatics get the highest salary is the District of Columbia, where they are paid with around $104,000, followed by Maryland where their median wage is of around $95,000 and Virginia, with little over $94,000. The fourth highest paying state is West Virginia with little over $82,000, followed by California with around $81,000, Massachusetts and Washington with approximately $80,000 a year.
Informatics Nurse Job Description
Informatics nurses deal with a variety of IT related tasks and responsibilities, and their primary purpose is to improve the communications in the nursing field in order to make it more efficient. At the same time, it is also the duty of the informatics nurse to reduce the costs in the health care industry, and to improve the quality of the medical services offered to patients.
Nursing informatics is a rather complex field that encompasses several different aspects, from information science and computer science to the science of nursing. Informatics nurses aim to improve the efficacy of the health care setting where they work by simply using advanced computer and information technologies in order to advance the documentation. It is their duty to improve the documentation accuracy, to analyze the clinical data as well as to get rid of all the unnecessary and time-consuming data and additional work.
Nowadays, informatics nurses develop systems that are easy to use, comprehensive, efficient and user-friendly, systems that help doctors, nurses and other health care providers to save a lot of time, money and trouble. These professionals can be found in many different health care settings, from the largest corporations and consulting firms to universities and private clinics and offices.
However, it must be said that in some cases, the informatics nurses also specialize on developing, improving and testing the systems, and in some cases they can even teach those who plan to become informatics nurses in the near future.
How To become An Informatics Nurse?
- Turn Your Love of Helping Others Into a Career in the Health Care Industry With a Degree From Grand Canyon University Online
- Online bachelor's and master's health care degree programs.
- Flexible & affordable online programs designed for the working adult.
- Build a foundational skill set rooted in leadership, critical thinking and problem solving.
- Program in health care admin, health science, public health and more.
- GCU's College of Nursing and Health Care Professions has a mission to promote health & wellness for all patients.
- M.S. in Health Informatics
Study for your graduate education with University of Illinois at Chicago. We offer master’s degree and post-master’s certificate programs in health informatics that can be completed 100% online.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo University offers over 50 accredited undergraduate degrees, programs and endorsements as well as master's and doctoral programs.
- Saint Leo’s undergraduate and graduate online degree programs prepare you to take advantage of growing career opportunities in a variety of in-demand fields.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited degree today!
- BS: Computer Science
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS: Computer Science: Cyber-Security
- Averett University is a top-ranked, fully-accredited institution that offers students over 30 undergraduate majors, minors and special programs, and 5 master's programs.
- Accelerated programs designed for convenience: choose from weekly evening courses at one of Averett's Virginia locations or study online and on your own time.
- Averett University was named one of Virginia’s top colleges for return on investment, and their average scholarship package lowers the cost of attendance further by almost 40%.
- Averett offers students learning experiences that mirror real-life situations. This means you can put today's lesson to the test during tomorrow’s workday.
- Averett University's 12:1 student-professor ratio makes your education a collaborative endeavor based on close relationships between students and faculty.
- Bachelor of Science - Computer Science
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
Becoming an informatics nurse requires you to complete a four-year college education, and in order to enroll in such a program you must firstly have a high school diploma or an equivalent. That being said, you can apply for a Bachelor’s Degree in the Science of Nursing, or you can opt for a two-year Associate’s Degree training program and then apply for your BSN degree prior to getting your certification. Some of the informatics nurses who want to make the best out of their careers even take it a mile further and apply for a Master’s Degree in Nursing Informatics. A master’s Degree not only increases their job opportunities, but it also helps them get a better salary.
In addition to the thorough, in-depth theoretical training, informatics nurses must also have impeccable critical thinking skills and analytical skills in order to keep up with the continuous work flow. They must also be able to work as team leaders and to work in a highly competitive environment. After graduating from the chosen training program, they can opt for one of the numerous positions in the nursing informatics industry: they can become nursing or health informaticists, they can become informatics managers or directors, medical or clinical informaticists, specialists of nursing informatics and so on.
The certification plays a crucial role in the career of every informatics nurse, and it involves a written and a practical exam that will culminate with the well-known credential of RN-BC, or Registered Nurse-Board Certified informatics nurse. The ANCC certification is usually offered by the Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification.
Nursing Informatics Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
In Canada, an informatics nurse gets around Cad$86,000, in Australia around Au$38,000, while the median yearly pay for an informatics nurse in the United Kingdom revolves around the sum of 40,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Nursing Informatics Salary
To conclude, if you are passionate about both medicine and computer science, then becoming a nurse informaticist can be very financially rewarding, given the positive job outlook.