The oncology nurse practitioner is a trained health care provider who tends to earn a salary above the national average of nursing salaries. As the name suggests, oncology nurses specialize in the treatment of different types of cancer, and they get most of their training on the job. The median yearly wage of an oncology certified nurse practitioner is of around $79,000 a year, although this can vary greatly depending on a series of factors. Besides this, the oncology nurse practitioner has the chance to specialize in one or more subfields of oncology, such as gynecological oncology, haematology oncology, surgery oncology and such.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
In the state of Alabama, oncology nurse practitioners receive a median yearly wage of around $99,000, while in the state of Alaska they are paid with around $82,000 a year, on average. In Arizona, oncology nurse practitioners tend to earn around $85,000, while in Arkansas their median yearly wage is of around $96,000 and in Colorado they are paid with around $85,000. The highest paying state for these professionals is undoubtedly the state of California, where these nurses get more than $107,000 a year, which is considerably over the national average.
Oncology Nurse Practitioner Job Description
These professionals work closely with patients who suffer from different types of cancer, and they also help doctors and physicians to devise and apply different cancer treatment strategies. It is the duty of the oncology nurse practitioner to carefully consult the patient, put a diagnosis and then come up with a tailored treatment plan and monitor the signs and symptoms. In some cases, the nurses also provide counseling services to the patients who need it, and they also offer them emotional support. Cancer patients go through a lot of pain and emotions, this is why it is of utmost importance for the oncology nurse practitioner to show empathy and to have good communication and interpersonal skills.
How To Become An Oncology Nurse Practitioner?
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to MSN in Leadership in Healthcare Systems
- RN to MSN Informatics Specialization
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Patient Care Technician
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
Oncology nurse practitioners provide patients not only with high-quality medical care and attention, but they also offer counseling services. However, when not working directly with patients, it is not uncommon for oncology nurse practitioners to perform a variety of administrative tasks or even to conduct research in the laboratory. The first step towards becoming an oncology nurse practitioner these days is getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing, following by a Master’s Degree in the same field.
After getting all the necessary formal training, it is very important to gain some hands-on, practical experience in a clinical setting and then to sit for the regional licensing exam. If you wish to work independently, then it is highly recommended to consider pursuing a certification right after you get your license.
The Bachelor’s Degree must be provided by an accredited university, and during the course of the training program you will learn everything about first aid, how to assess and diagnose your patients, how to use different medical diagnostic imaging devices and such. It often happens that oncology nurse practitioners choose to enroll in different internships in order to enhance their skills and knowledge.
One of the greatest benefits of enrolling in a certified training program that focuses on oncology nursing is the fact that most, if not all of these programs have contracts with hospitals, thus placing the students in a clinical setting for practice and internship right after they graduate.
As mentioned above, a certification is of paramount importance if you plan to work independently in the future. The certification is provided by the ONCC or the Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation, and the institution has been around for no less than three decades. The ONCC offers certifications in different areas of oncology nurses, from basic adult oncology and pediatric hematology oncology nursing to advanced oncology certified nurse practitioner certificate, certified breast care nurse certification and such.
Oncology Nurse Practitioner Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
The median yearly salary of an oncology nurse practitioner in Canada is of around Ca$89,000, while in Australia is of no less than Au$97,000 a year. On the other hand, an oncology nurse practitioner who lives and works in the United Kingdom should expect to be paid with around 40,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Oncology Nurse Practitioner Salary
To conclude, nurse practitioners can easily get a six figure salary in certain states such as California, and this is certainly very motivating for those who want to pursue a lucrative career in the field.