Pediatric nurse practitioners are registered health care professionals who are highly trained in nursing, and they have a Master’s Degree in the Science of Nursing. The pediatric nurse can choose to specialize in one of the many different subfields of nursing, from oncology and acute care to prenatal care, psychiatric health and community health. Commonly referred to as advanced practice registered nurses, these professionals typically work under the close supervision of a trained physician and they provide high-quality medical care for children. The median yearly wage of a pediatric nurse practitioner is of around $69,000 a year, although the salary can vary a lot from one state to another.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
When it comes to pediatric nurse practitioner salary, it must be said that the highest paying state at the moment is California, with a median yearly salary of more than $90,000 a year, followed by the states of Massachusetts and Hawaii, which pay their pediatric nurse practitioners salaries of $86,000 and $83,000 a year, respectively. Other high paying states are Orlando with $83,000 a year, Texas with around $90,000 a year and Indiana with approximately $89,000 a year.
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Job Description
The duties and responsibilities of the pediatric nurse vary greatly, but they usually provide medical services to children. It is very important for these nurses to be very caring and compassionate, and they need to conduct different tests, record the medical history of the patients, come up with tailored treatment plans and work closely with doctors and physicians, in order to raise public awareness regarding different aspects of health.
One of the duties of the pediatric nurse practitioner is to prescribe medications to patients, just like any other physician would. Nowadays, pediatric nurse practitioners have the chance to operate independently in more than half of the total number of states in the USA, and in addition to the treatments and services described above, these health care professionals also order different medical tests that will help them diagnose a condition, they conduct different counseling sessions and they also educate patients on how to care for different chronic conditions. They work closely with skilled psychologists and psychiatrists and they also help doctors and physicians prescribe the best treatment plan for the patients.
Generally speaking, pediatric nurse practitioners work mainly with teenagers and babies and help them overcome different conditions and illnesses that are commonly associated with childhood. It often happens that these nurses also work with newborns, and they are highly trained in the field of child behavior and body language as well.
How To Become A Pediatric Nurse?
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to MSN in Leadership in Healthcare Systems
- RN to MSN Informatics Specialization
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Practical Nursing
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
If you are passionate about the science of nursing and you would like to pursue a rewarding career in the field, then you should know that working as a pediatric nurse practitioner is one of the best career options for you, as the salary is very rewarding. The fist step is to undergo traditional schooling by enrolling in a classic training program provided by a nursing school. After you have completed the training period, you need to sit for the nursing examination and pass the test.
Then you can get your license and become a registered pediatric nurse practitioner, and after you get a one-year hands on experience in a clinical setting, you can move on to enrolling in a program of higher education such as a Master’s degree program in nursing. Then you can choose to specialize in paediatrics, or you can choose to get a double specialization as there are plenty of options to choose from.
Although certification is not paramount, you can pursue a certification if you want to improve your job opportunities and to increase your chances of getting a higher salary. The exact requirements may vary from one state to another, this is why it is important to consult with the institution of higher education from your state in order to be up to date with the eligibility requirements.
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, a pediatric nurse practitioner has a median yearly wage of around Ca$43,000, while in Australia the salary can easily reach and even exceed Au$95,000. In the United Kingdom, on the other hand, the median yearly wage for a pediatric nurse practitioner can range anywhere between 13,000 and as much as 45,000 pounds.
Verdict On Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Salary
To conclude, these professionals are paid very well and the job is very professionally rewarding as well.