Pediatric nurses perform the same general tasks and duties as regular certified nurses, the sole difference is that they specialize in the treatment of children, infants as well as teenagers. Pediatric nurses can work in many different settings, from hospitals and private centers to outpatient care centers, and they perform routine tasks like checking the blood pressure and the temperature of the child, measuring their height and weight and providing primary medical care services. The median yearly wage of a pediatric nurse varies greatly, but on average these health care providers tend to make between $60,000 and $70,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
The highest paying state for pediatric nurses is certainly the state of California, as here these professionals can make as much as $117,000 a year. The state of New York also tends to pay its pediatric nurses median wages that exceed $100,000 a year, while the state of Texas tends to pay them salaries between $30,000 and up to $70,000 a year, which generally tends to be lower than the national average. In Florida, pediatric nurses can make as much as $80,000 per year, while in Florida they make between $40,000 and $65,000 a year.
Pediatric Nurse Job Description
Pediatric nurses provide primary medical care to children of all ages: they assess the overall health status and medical history of the child, they pay attention to their medical and cultural needs and they also administer the treatment prescribed by their health care provider. However, it must be mentioned that pediatric nurses do not work exclusively with children, as these professionals can also work with younger adults or teenagers.
Amongst the most common job duties and responsibilities of a pediatric nurse, there is assessing and reporting the general condition of the patients, setting up blood transfusions, checking the intravenous infusions, administering injections and medications or assisting different medical tests and evaluations. Also, these nurses can also update the medical record of the patient, write reports, observe the hygiene, the signs and symptoms of the patient or engage in multidisciplinary teamwork.
How To Become A Pediatric Nurse?
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Practical Nursing
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- And more...
- RNs, join one of GCU's CCNE-accredited bachelor's, master's or doctoral nursing programs.
- Offering a full spectrum of nursing programs to fit your education needs and career aspirations.
- Online and evening classes designed to meet the needs of working students and adults.
- A holistic, physical, emotional and spiritual approach to patient care is taught in the classroom.
- Curriculum that connects classroom theories to working scenarios through many modalities.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- And more...
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
If you have decided to pursue a career in the science of nursing and become a pediatric nurse, then it is important to earn your degree. Conduct thorough research on the different nursing schools and programs available in your state, and pick only the reputable and accredited ones. Once you got accepted into the nursing training program, do your best to study hard and after that consider becoming an APN, or an advanced practice nurse.
The credential of advanced practice nurse is provided by the state board of nursing in your state, and the eligibility requirements may vary greatly across the United States of America. As a pediatric nurse, it is very important to understand that experience is of paramount importance, this is why it is highly recommended to get your hands-on experience either in a pediatric after-hour care facility or in the private office of a pediatrician. Once you have managed to gather all the necessary practical experience, you can move on to enrolling in one of the numerous internship programs that are available. It is also highly recommended to consider volunteering work, as this will not only look good on your CV, but it will also help you enrich your skills and knowledge.
The final step is becoming a CPN or a Certified Pediatric nurse which requires taking the national certification exam that is administered by the Pediatric Nursing Certification Board.
If you have decided to pursue a certification and to become a certified pediatric nurse, then it is important to meet all the eligibility requirements, and then to sit for the exam and to pass it. After that you will become a RNBC, or a Registered Nurse Board Certified.
Pediatric Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, the median yearly salary of a pediatric nurse ranges between Ca$41,000 and Ca$80,000, while in Australia it ranges between Au$24,000 and Au$60,000, while in the United Kingdom a pediatric nurse gets a mean yearly wage of around 27,000 pounds.
Verdict On Pediatric Nurse Salary
To summarize, the salary of a pediatric nurse can easily exceed $100,000 in some states of the USA, and if you are genuinely passionate about working with children, then this may be the best choice for you.