Practical nurses are health care providers who deal with administering nursing care under the close supervision of a registered nurse. These professionals have to ensure the comfort, safety and health of their patients, as well as to take part in evaluating the state of the patient and implementing different treatment plans. Becoming a practical nurse requires a high school diploma, a license and a certification. The mean yearly salary of a practical nurse in the United States of America is of around $42,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Areas Of The United States Of America
Practical nurses are paid differently across the US, and the highest paying state is the state of Connecticut, which offers them an average yearly salary of around $53,000. On the second place, there is the state of Nevada which pays its practical nurses a mean yearly wage of around $52,000, followed by Alaska with the same pay scale and Massachusetts. New Jersey, on the other hand, pays its practical nurses an average salary of around $51,000 on a yearly basis.
Practical Nurse Job Description
Practical nurses are undoubtedly amongst the most respected health care professionals in the medical industry, and these specialists can choose to work in home health care settings, hospitals, nursing homes, medical offices and so on. The duties and responsibilities of the practical nurse vary a lot depending on their employer and working environment.
However, practical nurses share some common duties regardless of their employer: all of them must administer the medication and treatments exactly as instructed by the physician, they must take the temperature, vital signs and blood pressure of their patients and they must also give injections and administer immunization treatments to patients. It is also the duty of the practical nurse to take the medical history of the patient and to provide basic wound care, such as keeping the injured areas clean and properly bandaged.
Those who are hired by state owned hospitals usually need to manage the Ivs, to safely move the patients and monitor their food intake, to supervise the certified nursing assistants as well as to keep in touch with the family members and explaining them everything they need to know about the patient’s health status.
Some of the practical nurses work in facilities where they assess the mental health of patients, provide them with the emotional support they need, help them with basic daily tasks like dressing or bathing and such. In some cases, those who work in private clinics or medical offices must also schedule appointments, bill the patients, keep the medical records accurate and up to date and keep in touch constantly with various insurance companies.
How To Become A Practical Nurse?
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MSN: Health Policy
- MSN: Community Health
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from the Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences in as few as 20 months. As a student, you will attend live online classes and gain clinical experience at sites in or near your community, secured with the assistance of a dedicated clinical placement team. Accredited by CCNE, the program offers part-time and full-time options to prepare you for certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Designed by RNs for RNs
Chamberlain’s RN to BSN option offers convenient 100% online coursework, no mandatory login times and no campus visits. This flexible framework allows you to continue in your current role while you pursue your degree. And, because the curriculum is developed and taught by RNs who are also educators, you know you are learning what you need to push your skills forward now – and in the future.
- RN to BSN Online Option
Before you enroll in a training program for practical nurses, it is important to make sure that you have the necessary skills required for becoming a nurse in the first place. These professionals must have a high level of endurance, they must have good communication skills and show empathy when working with patients, they must have good interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
Fortunately, there are many LPN programs across the United States to choose from, and it is important to finish the training in order to be eligible for the final exam, or the NCLEX-PN exam. All US states require their nurses to be licensed in order to practice as a LPN. The coursework is rather complex and it will cover both pharmacology and practical nursing courses. After you took the NCLEX-PN exam, the next step is to apply for your license with the local state board of nursing in your area.
The practical nursing certification allows you, as a practical nurse, to work close to a dentist, a registered nurse of a physician. The Practical Nursing Certification program covers some essential subjects, from psychology and pharmacology to human anatomy, physiology, nutrition, mental health as well as medical law and ethics. After you get your certification, you can easily work in a dentist or physician office, in a hospital, a nursing home, a private nursing facility or a state owned health facility.
Practical Nurse Salary in Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
An Australian practical nurse is paid, on average, a salary of Au$40,000 a year, while one from Canada should expect to earn around Ca$54,000 on a yearly basis. On the other hand, the mean yearly salary of a practical nurse in the United Kingdom is of over $18,500 pounds a year.
Practical Nurse Salary Verdict
To conclude, the salary of a practical nurse can be very stimulating and rewarding for those who are genuinely passionate about helping people.