Practical nurses are health care providers who deal with administering nursing care under the close supervision of a registered nurse. These professionals have to ensure the comfort, safety and health of their patients, as well as to take part in evaluating the state of the patient and implementing different treatment plans. Becoming a practical nurse requires a high school diploma, a license and a certification. The mean yearly salary of a practical nurse in the United States of America is of around $42,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Areas Of The United States Of America
Practical nurses are paid differently across the US, and the highest paying state is the state of Connecticut, which offers them an average yearly salary of around $53,000. On the second place, there is the state of Nevada which pays its practical nurses a mean yearly wage of around $52,000, followed by Alaska with the same pay scale and Massachusetts. New Jersey, on the other hand, pays its practical nurses an average salary of around $51,000 on a yearly basis.
Practical Nurse Job Description
Practical nurses are undoubtedly amongst the most respected health care professionals in the medical industry, and these specialists can choose to work in home health care settings, hospitals, nursing homes, medical offices and so on. The duties and responsibilities of the practical nurse vary a lot depending on their employer and working environment.
However, practical nurses share some common duties regardless of their employer: all of them must administer the medication and treatments exactly as instructed by the physician, they must take the temperature, vital signs and blood pressure of their patients and they must also give injections and administer immunization treatments to patients. It is also the duty of the practical nurse to take the medical history of the patient and to provide basic wound care, such as keeping the injured areas clean and properly bandaged.
Those who are hired by state owned hospitals usually need to manage the Ivs, to safely move the patients and monitor their food intake, to supervise the certified nursing assistants as well as to keep in touch with the family members and explaining them everything they need to know about the patient’s health status.
Some of the practical nurses work in facilities where they assess the mental health of patients, provide them with the emotional support they need, help them with basic daily tasks like dressing or bathing and such. In some cases, those who work in private clinics or medical offices must also schedule appointments, bill the patients, keep the medical records accurate and up to date and keep in touch constantly with various insurance companies.
How To Become A Practical Nurse?
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Practical Nursing
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Technology changes everything®
You’ve found Ashford University, where school comes to you. Ashford delivers relevant degree programs to you everywhere, any time, with a supportive community where you belong.
- BS/Nursing (RN to BSN)
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- And more...
Before you enroll in a training program for practical nurses, it is important to make sure that you have the necessary skills required for becoming a nurse in the first place. These professionals must have a high level of endurance, they must have good communication skills and show empathy when working with patients, they must have good interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
Fortunately, there are many LPN programs across the United States to choose from, and it is important to finish the training in order to be eligible for the final exam, or the NCLEX-PN exam. All US states require their nurses to be licensed in order to practice as a LPN. The coursework is rather complex and it will cover both pharmacology and practical nursing courses. After you took the NCLEX-PN exam, the next step is to apply for your license with the local state board of nursing in your area.
The practical nursing certification allows you, as a practical nurse, to work close to a dentist, a registered nurse of a physician. The Practical Nursing Certification program covers some essential subjects, from psychology and pharmacology to human anatomy, physiology, nutrition, mental health as well as medical law and ethics. After you get your certification, you can easily work in a dentist or physician office, in a hospital, a nursing home, a private nursing facility or a state owned health facility.
Practical Nurse Salary in Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
An Australian practical nurse is paid, on average, a salary of Au$40,000 a year, while one from Canada should expect to earn around Ca$54,000 on a yearly basis. On the other hand, the mean yearly salary of a practical nurse in the United Kingdom is of over $18,500 pounds a year.
Practical Nurse Salary Verdict
To conclude, the salary of a practical nurse can be very stimulating and rewarding for those who are genuinely passionate about helping people.