Scrub nurses, most commonly referred to as operating room nurses or OR nurses, are skilled health care providers who work with patients in the operating room. It often happens that scrub nurses need to deal with a high level of stress, given this very fast paced medical environment where one small mistake can cost the life of the patient. It is the duty of the scrub nurse to work closely with surgeons and other physicians to provide medical care of the highest quality to all patients who need it. Moreover, the OR nurses also comfort and care for the patients, and the mean yearly salary for a scrub nurse can vary between $44,000 and $95,000, depending on their level of training and expertise.
Pay Scale In Different Areas Of The United States
At the time being, the highest paying state for operating room nurses is certainly New York, where these health care providers usually make around $95,000 a year. However, it is not uncommon for the highest trained scrub nurses to make as much as $110,000 or even more. On the other hand, those who live and work in Los Angeles should expect to make around $90,000 a year, while those from Illinois and Chicago typically make around $86,000 a year. Washington scrub nurses have a mean yearly wage of around $89,000, while those from New Jersey should expect to make as much as $92,000 a year, although this varies greatly depending on their experience and work environment.
Scrub Nurse Job Description
The scrub nurse is responsible with welcoming the patient in the operating room, assessing the overall physical and mental state of the patient and explaining them what the surgery is all about. These health care providers also take care of the surgical instruments and other medical equipment. The name of “scrub nurse” comes from scrubbing, a common medical practice that all doctors need to go through before entering the OR (disinfecting their hands).
The scrub nurse works directly with the surgeon, and handles them the surgical equipment, scalpels and all the other surgical instruments whenever required. At the same time, the scrub nurse also assists the other members of the surgical team and monitors the evolution of the patient throughout the entire surgical procedure.
As it happens with most medical specialties, scrub nurses also have the chance to specialize in one of the many different areas of interest in medicine, from orthopedics to paediatrics. It is very important for the scrub nurse to be compassionate and patient, as these professionals are usually the last ones patients get into contact with before entering the operating room. This is why it is important for them to bond with the patients, to calm them down and to address all their anxieties about the surgery. It is important for these professionals to help and comfort the patients the best way they can.
How To Become A Scrub Nurse?
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Practical Nursing
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Generally speaking, most scrub nurses choose to start off as registered, certified nurses – in order to become a RN, one must firstly get an Associate’s Degree in Nursing or a Bachelor’s Degree in the Science of Nursing. This is the starting point for all future nurses, regardless of their specialization, and completing an Associate’s Degree program usually takes two years, while a Bachelor’s Degree program can take as much as four years of full-time study. Throughout the course of their training, these nurses will get extensive practical training in different clinical settings, coupled with in-depth theoretical training in fields like patient care, leadership, biology or pharmacology.
Scrub nurses who also administer anesthesia or who closely monitor the patients during the surgical procedure must also have an ACLS certification, which is basically Advanced Cardiac Life Support. This is a 12-hour course that is aimed at resuscitation teams, and it teaches nurses what to do in case of cardiac arrest and similar problems.
After becoming a registered nurse, you can apply for the National Council Licensure Examination, which is a computer-based assessment that covers all the important aspects of nursing. If you want to take your career as a scrub nurse to the next level, then you can always opt for the CNOR certification. The requirements may vary, but all applicants must have a RN license along with more than 2,000 hours of documented experience as scrub nurses.
Scrub Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In the United Kingdom, a scrub nurse makes between 16,000 and 40,000 pounds a year, while in Canada an OR nurse can make between C$45,000 and C$88,000. An Australian scrub nurse makes between Au$40,00 and Au$80,000, on average.
Verdict On Scrub Nurse Salary
To conclude, an operating room nurse is one of the highest paid nurses in the entire nursing field.