Scrub nurses, most commonly referred to as operating room nurses or OR nurses, are skilled health care providers who work with patients in the operating room. It often happens that scrub nurses need to deal with a high level of stress, given this very fast paced medical environment where one small mistake can cost the life of the patient. It is the duty of the scrub nurse to work closely with surgeons and other physicians to provide medical care of the highest quality to all patients who need it. Moreover, the OR nurses also comfort and care for the patients, and the mean yearly salary for a scrub nurse can vary between $44,000 and $95,000, depending on their level of training and expertise.
Pay Scale In Different Areas Of The United States
At the time being, the highest paying state for operating room nurses is certainly New York, where these health care providers usually make around $95,000 a year. However, it is not uncommon for the highest trained scrub nurses to make as much as $110,000 or even more. On the other hand, those who live and work in Los Angeles should expect to make around $90,000 a year, while those from Illinois and Chicago typically make around $86,000 a year. Washington scrub nurses have a mean yearly wage of around $89,000, while those from New Jersey should expect to make as much as $92,000 a year, although this varies greatly depending on their experience and work environment.
Scrub Nurse Job Description
The scrub nurse is responsible with welcoming the patient in the operating room, assessing the overall physical and mental state of the patient and explaining them what the surgery is all about. These health care providers also take care of the surgical instruments and other medical equipment. The name of “scrub nurse” comes from scrubbing, a common medical practice that all doctors need to go through before entering the OR (disinfecting their hands).
The scrub nurse works directly with the surgeon, and handles them the surgical equipment, scalpels and all the other surgical instruments whenever required. At the same time, the scrub nurse also assists the other members of the surgical team and monitors the evolution of the patient throughout the entire surgical procedure.
As it happens with most medical specialties, scrub nurses also have the chance to specialize in one of the many different areas of interest in medicine, from orthopedics to paediatrics. It is very important for the scrub nurse to be compassionate and patient, as these professionals are usually the last ones patients get into contact with before entering the operating room. This is why it is important for them to bond with the patients, to calm them down and to address all their anxieties about the surgery. It is important for these professionals to help and comfort the patients the best way they can.
How To Become A Scrub Nurse?
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MSN: Health Policy
- MSN: Community Health
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Generally speaking, most scrub nurses choose to start off as registered, certified nurses – in order to become a RN, one must firstly get an Associate’s Degree in Nursing or a Bachelor’s Degree in the Science of Nursing. This is the starting point for all future nurses, regardless of their specialization, and completing an Associate’s Degree program usually takes two years, while a Bachelor’s Degree program can take as much as four years of full-time study. Throughout the course of their training, these nurses will get extensive practical training in different clinical settings, coupled with in-depth theoretical training in fields like patient care, leadership, biology or pharmacology.
Scrub nurses who also administer anesthesia or who closely monitor the patients during the surgical procedure must also have an ACLS certification, which is basically Advanced Cardiac Life Support. This is a 12-hour course that is aimed at resuscitation teams, and it teaches nurses what to do in case of cardiac arrest and similar problems.
After becoming a registered nurse, you can apply for the National Council Licensure Examination, which is a computer-based assessment that covers all the important aspects of nursing. If you want to take your career as a scrub nurse to the next level, then you can always opt for the CNOR certification. The requirements may vary, but all applicants must have a RN license along with more than 2,000 hours of documented experience as scrub nurses.
Scrub Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In the United Kingdom, a scrub nurse makes between 16,000 and 40,000 pounds a year, while in Canada an OR nurse can make between C$45,000 and C$88,000. An Australian scrub nurse makes between Au$40,00 and Au$80,000, on average.
Verdict On Scrub Nurse Salary
To conclude, an operating room nurse is one of the highest paid nurses in the entire nursing field.