Traveling nurses are professionals who work part-time, and their assignments typically vary anywhere between 8 and 13 weeks, although sometimes it takes more than 13 weeks. Generally speaking, shorter assignments for traveling nurses tend to be paid better than the long ones, although this adds to the cost of the travel and relocation and it also depends a lot on the employer. There are numerous health, salary and medical benefits included as well, in addition to the flexibility to choose the working hours. That being said, traveling nurses typically work around 48 hours a week and they get a median yearly wage of around $75,000.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
Some states pay their travel nurses higher salaries than others. The state of Alabama, for instance, pays them with $82,000 a year, while the state of California offers them as much as $89,000 a year. On the other hand, Arizona pays travel nurses a yearly salary of only $71,000 a year, which is just under the national average, while Alaska seldom offers them more than $68,000 a year. Other high paying states where travel nurses get a median yearly wage of over $80,000 a year are Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Arkansas, Maryland, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey and North Carolina. The state of Mississippi pays its travel nurses up to $94,000 a year.
Traveling Nurse Job Description
Simply put, traveling nurses are registered nurses who take short-term, temporary assignments in locations where they are needed the most. In spite of the fact that the assignments typically last between 9 and 13 weeks, some of them can last as much as 23 weeks. The lodging and the travel expenses are included in the assignment, and American travel nurses typically travel across the 50 states of the United States of America. This is precisely why their median yearly salary is much higher than that of a regular nurse who fills a similar, full time position.
There are many shortages of nurses all across the United States of America, this is why the US is always in need of skilled, experienced and registered nurses to temporarily fill these positions. Amongst the most demanded traveling nurses are those who specialize in oncology, paediatric care, critical care, psychiatry, surgery, ER, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, advanced practice nurses as well as the dialysis nurses. The traveling nurses can choose to work in one of the numerous different areas of expertise in the medical field, from occupational therapy, labor delivery and open heart operating rooms to the critical care units, emergency rooms as well as the intensive care units.
The daily duties and responsibilities of a traveling nurse are somewhat the same as those of a regular nurse who works in just one permanent work environment. These health care professionals administer medications, they provide patients with efficient wound care, they assess the patients and monitor their symptoms and evolution, take their vital signs and pulse, perform different physical assessments and such. Traveling nurses work closely with licensed practical nurses and certified nurse assistants, to provide medical services of the highest quality.
How To Become A Traveling Nurse?
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assistant
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
The field of technology is rapidly evolving to meet the growing demands of modern society. For those seeking a future in tech, this means maintaining skills, increasingknowledge and quickly adapting to change. For today’s students, however, successwill require dedication, commitment and access to education specifically designedto meet the demands of this dynamic industry.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- RN-BSN (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
The first step towards pursuing a career in the nursing field as a travel nurse is attending a nursing school and becoming registered. Keep in mind that this often tends to be a highly competitive industry, and it can take up to four years of intense study before you get to specialize in the desired field of nursing. After you have sat for the well-known NCLEX-RN exam, it is important to get some experience in a hospital setting (at least one year of experience) and then get an ASN degree. You can then apply for a variety of other certifications that will not only help you get a secure workplace, but also get a higher payment.
Certifications are purely optional and most travel nurses opt to become certified in their particular area of specialty, be it psychiatric nursing, paediatric nursing or any other field of the nursing science. The American Board of Nursing Specialties is the one who handles all these certifications.
Traveling Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, a traveling nurse can get a median yearly wage that ranges anywhere between $45 and $55 an hour, while a travel nurse who works in the United Kingdom should expect to get between 17,000 and 30,000 pounds a year. At the same time, a travel nurse who works in Australia gets paid between Au$52,000 and Au$70,000 a year.
Verdict On Traveling Nurse Salary
To conclude, travel nurses are amongst the highest paid professionals in their medical niche.