Traveling nurses are professionals who work part-time, and their assignments typically vary anywhere between 8 and 13 weeks, although sometimes it takes more than 13 weeks. Generally speaking, shorter assignments for traveling nurses tend to be paid better than the long ones, although this adds to the cost of the travel and relocation and it also depends a lot on the employer. There are numerous health, salary and medical benefits included as well, in addition to the flexibility to choose the working hours. That being said, traveling nurses typically work around 48 hours a week and they get a median yearly wage of around $75,000.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
Some states pay their travel nurses higher salaries than others. The state of Alabama, for instance, pays them with $82,000 a year, while the state of California offers them as much as $89,000 a year. On the other hand, Arizona pays travel nurses a yearly salary of only $71,000 a year, which is just under the national average, while Alaska seldom offers them more than $68,000 a year. Other high paying states where travel nurses get a median yearly wage of over $80,000 a year are Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Arkansas, Maryland, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey and North Carolina. The state of Mississippi pays its travel nurses up to $94,000 a year.
Traveling Nurse Job Description
Simply put, traveling nurses are registered nurses who take short-term, temporary assignments in locations where they are needed the most. In spite of the fact that the assignments typically last between 9 and 13 weeks, some of them can last as much as 23 weeks. The lodging and the travel expenses are included in the assignment, and American travel nurses typically travel across the 50 states of the United States of America. This is precisely why their median yearly salary is much higher than that of a regular nurse who fills a similar, full time position.
There are many shortages of nurses all across the United States of America, this is why the US is always in need of skilled, experienced and registered nurses to temporarily fill these positions. Amongst the most demanded traveling nurses are those who specialize in oncology, paediatric care, critical care, psychiatry, surgery, ER, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, advanced practice nurses as well as the dialysis nurses. The traveling nurses can choose to work in one of the numerous different areas of expertise in the medical field, from occupational therapy, labor delivery and open heart operating rooms to the critical care units, emergency rooms as well as the intensive care units.
The daily duties and responsibilities of a traveling nurse are somewhat the same as those of a regular nurse who works in just one permanent work environment. These health care professionals administer medications, they provide patients with efficient wound care, they assess the patients and monitor their symptoms and evolution, take their vital signs and pulse, perform different physical assessments and such. Traveling nurses work closely with licensed practical nurses and certified nurse assistants, to provide medical services of the highest quality.
How To Become A Traveling Nurse?
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Practical Nursing
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- And more...
The first step towards pursuing a career in the nursing field as a travel nurse is attending a nursing school and becoming registered. Keep in mind that this often tends to be a highly competitive industry, and it can take up to four years of intense study before you get to specialize in the desired field of nursing. After you have sat for the well-known NCLEX-RN exam, it is important to get some experience in a hospital setting (at least one year of experience) and then get an ASN degree. You can then apply for a variety of other certifications that will not only help you get a secure workplace, but also get a higher payment.
Certifications are purely optional and most travel nurses opt to become certified in their particular area of specialty, be it psychiatric nursing, paediatric nursing or any other field of the nursing science. The American Board of Nursing Specialties is the one who handles all these certifications.
Traveling Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, a traveling nurse can get a median yearly wage that ranges anywhere between $45 and $55 an hour, while a travel nurse who works in the United Kingdom should expect to get between 17,000 and 30,000 pounds a year. At the same time, a travel nurse who works in Australia gets paid between Au$52,000 and Au$70,000 a year.
Verdict On Traveling Nurse Salary
To conclude, travel nurses are amongst the highest paid professionals in their medical niche.