The middle 50% of employed dietitians are making between $50,000 and $61,000 every year. This is an hourly pay range between $24 and $29. Therefore, the median annual salary of a dietitian is about $56,000, or $27 per hour. The top 10th percentile of dietitians makes an annual income of about $66,000 ($32 per hour). At the other end of the spectrum, dietitians working in the lowest 10th percentile make about $22 or less per hour. This adds up to a maximum of $45,500 every year.
There are factors that affect the annual income of dietitians. As with every work force, education and experience are important to determining the salary of a dietitian. Typically, dietitians with a master’s degree will be paid more than one with only a bachelor’s. Furthermore, salaries may waiver depending on the type of employment one holds. Dietitians working in a hospital setting should expect a higher salary than one working in a school system. The same goes for high-end health spas vs. community health centers.
On average, the total compensation package for a dietitian after benefits is $79,000. Paid benefits offered by an employer may include social security and pension, health care insurance, and paid time off, among others.
Job Description of a Dietitian
Dietitians will take their knowledge and translate it into advice to clients about the health prospects of various food plans. Dietitians also assess, diagnose, and treat diet-related problems in patients.
Other tasks performed by dietitians include raising awareness about diet-related disorders, calculating patients’ nutritional requirements, and analyzing the nutritional content of food (if employed in the food industry). Some dietitians include fitness in their overall repertoire of nutrition knowledge, allowing them to work with athletes and personal trainers.
There are many fields for a dietitian to work in, including schools and hospitals. There are also various specialties a dietitian could study, including children’s health and diabetes.
How to Become a Dietitian
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- BS in Nutrition Science
- Health Care degrees include BA in Health Care Administration, BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- Online degree programs that can help students pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Health and Wellness
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Bachelor of Science: Nutrition Science
- MS Sport Management
- Sports Marketing and Media, Bachelor of Science
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Sports Management - Doctor of Education
- Sports Management - Master of Education
- Sports Management - PhD in Education
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- Undergraduate Specialization - Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Associate of Arts in Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Management
To begin with, aspiring dietitians must obtain at least a bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university. While only a bachelor’s degree is required, a master’s degree opens the doors to higher income and better job opportunities. An ACEND-accredited practice program for dietitians must then be completed. These programs will run in hospitals, community centers, or food corporations. Typically, the program will run anywhere from six months to a year.
Finally, after all this training, an aspiring dietitian must pass the national examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration. Thus, the student will now be a certified dietitian. There are many other certifications that can be obtained throughout a dietitian’s career, and many of them deal with specialties in dietetics. They are not required, but a higher salary may be forthcoming from obtaining these certificates.
A dietitian must also attend continuing education throughout his or her career to maintain the registration and certification. This is common with many health care professionals, however.
Dietitian Salary in Other Countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
Dietitians working in Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom should expect salaries that are close to those obtained in the United States. Australia offers dietitians an average income of about AU$55,000. The average annual income for Canadian dietitians is about C$47,500.
Registered dietitians are some of the only health care professionals that receive roughly the same salary in both the U.S. and the U.K. The average annual income in the United Kingdom for dietitians is about £26,500. This is equivalent to about $42,000 in America.
Verdict on Dietitian Salary
While dietitians are certainly not the highest paid individuals in the health care industry, they receive a comfortable annual income that is indicative to the amount of schooling they have performed. Dietitians with a master’s degree should expect even higher salaries than those listed at the beginning of the article. It would seem to be a rewarding career move.