The range of salaries for the middle 50% of medical assistants is between $29,000 and $34,000 per year. This is an hourly pay rate between $14 and $16. Therefore, the median annual medical assistant salary is $31,600, or $15 per hour. Medical assistants who are just starting out and those working in the lowest 10th percentile can expect an annual salary of around $26,600 or less. This is also $13 or less per hour. Those working in the top 10th percentile, seasoned professionals, can expect an annual salary of at least $37,000, or $18 or higher per hour.
Many factors will determine the income of a medical assistant. Geographic location and type of employment play a role, as they do in many industries. Specifically, medical assistants working in Alaska receive the highest income, while those working in West Virginia received some of the lowest incomes per year. Type of employment is also very important to a medical assistant’s salary. Wages tend to be higher for professionals working in psychiatric hospitals rather than those working in general hospitals or physician’s offices.
The total compensation package for a medical assistant after benefits is on average about $48,000. Paid benefits from an employer may include health insurance, paid time off, social security, and pension, to name a few.
Job Description of a Medical Assistant
There are three types of medical assistants: administrative, clerical, and clinical. Administrative and clerical medical assistants tend to complete roughly the same tasks. These tasks may include scheduling appointments, completing insurance forms, composing letters, typing patients’ charts, recording medical records, and keeping up with accounts payable/receivable.
Clinical medical assistants will be more involved in the medical part of the physician’s office or hospital. Some duties involved in the daily tasks of a clinical medical assistant may include assisting in examinations, sterilizing equipment, obtaining vital signs, helping in lab procedures, and others jobs.
How to Become a Medical Assistant
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assistant Technician (Associate in Specialized Technology Degree)
- And more...
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- BS in Health and Wellness
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Some employees may provide on-the-job training to a medical assistant. For aspiring MAs that are short on cash, this may be a great way to receive the proper training and education needed for higher positions within the field. There are certifications available that will help a medical assistant obtain higher job positions. These include becoming a registered medical assistant (RMA) or a certified medical assistant (CMA).
There are medical assistant training programs available for those looking to begin a career in the medical field as medical assistants. These programs can be found in community colleges, technical schools, or vocational schools. Some of these programs are specifically designed to prepare students for the certification exams.
Medical Assistant Salary in Other Countries (Australia, UK and Canada)
Salaries for medical assistants working in settings outside the United States may be quite high. For instance, the average annual salary for a Canadian MA is C$35,000 per year. Australia pays her medical assistants even better wages: around AU$49,000 per year on average.
As per usual, the United Kingdom tends to pay lower wages to professionals working in the health care industry. This could be due to standards of living in the U.K., as well as the outline of the health care system within the various countries. A medical assistant working in the U.K. can expect an average annual income of about £30,000. This equates to only $24,000 in America.
Verdict on Medical Assistant Salary
Becoming a medical assistant is a great stepping stone into the health care field. Training only takes a year or two to complete, providing a fast-track into the career field of aspiring medical professionals. While the starting medical assistant salary may be low, there are opportunities for raises in pay, as well as better job positions upon experience and further education/certification. Becoming a medical assistant is also a great way to receive experience in the medical field, so as to move up the ladder to better professions in the health care industry.