The range of salaries for the middle 50% of medical assistants is between $29,000 and $34,000 per year. This is an hourly pay rate between $14 and $16. Therefore, the median annual medical assistant salary is $31,600, or $15 per hour. Medical assistants who are just starting out and those working in the lowest 10th percentile can expect an annual salary of around $26,600 or less. This is also $13 or less per hour. Those working in the top 10th percentile, seasoned professionals, can expect an annual salary of at least $37,000, or $18 or higher per hour.
Many factors will determine the income of a medical assistant. Geographic location and type of employment play a role, as they do in many industries. Specifically, medical assistants working in Alaska receive the highest income, while those working in West Virginia received some of the lowest incomes per year. Type of employment is also very important to a medical assistant’s salary. Wages tend to be higher for professionals working in psychiatric hospitals rather than those working in general hospitals or physician’s offices.
The total compensation package for a medical assistant after benefits is on average about $48,000. Paid benefits from an employer may include health insurance, paid time off, social security, and pension, to name a few.
Job Description of a Medical Assistant
There are three types of medical assistants: administrative, clerical, and clinical. Administrative and clerical medical assistants tend to complete roughly the same tasks. These tasks may include scheduling appointments, completing insurance forms, composing letters, typing patients’ charts, recording medical records, and keeping up with accounts payable/receivable.
Clinical medical assistants will be more involved in the medical part of the physician’s office or hospital. Some duties involved in the daily tasks of a clinical medical assistant may include assisting in examinations, sterilizing equipment, obtaining vital signs, helping in lab procedures, and others jobs.
How to Become a Medical Assistant
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Allied Health Management
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Practical Nursing
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Billing & Coding
- Pharmacy Technician
- Veterinary Assistant
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Respiratory Therapy
Ultimate Medical Academy Educates Future Healthcare Professionals
You bring your goals and motivation to UMA, and we will provide you the education and the support to help make you a success! Even if you haven’t been serious about your career before, we can help boost your confidence and prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Billing & Coding
- And more...
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
Some employees may provide on-the-job training to a medical assistant. For aspiring MAs that are short on cash, this may be a great way to receive the proper training and education needed for higher positions within the field. There are certifications available that will help a medical assistant obtain higher job positions. These include becoming a registered medical assistant (RMA) or a certified medical assistant (CMA).
There are medical assistant training programs available for those looking to begin a career in the medical field as medical assistants. These programs can be found in community colleges, technical schools, or vocational schools. Some of these programs are specifically designed to prepare students for the certification exams.
Medical Assistant Salary in Other Countries (Australia, UK and Canada)
Salaries for medical assistants working in settings outside the United States may be quite high. For instance, the average annual salary for a Canadian MA is C$35,000 per year. Australia pays her medical assistants even better wages: around AU$49,000 per year on average.
As per usual, the United Kingdom tends to pay lower wages to professionals working in the health care industry. This could be due to standards of living in the U.K., as well as the outline of the health care system within the various countries. A medical assistant working in the U.K. can expect an average annual income of about £30,000. This equates to only $24,000 in America.
Verdict on Medical Assistant Salary
Becoming a medical assistant is a great stepping stone into the health care field. Training only takes a year or two to complete, providing a fast-track into the career field of aspiring medical professionals. While the starting medical assistant salary may be low, there are opportunities for raises in pay, as well as better job positions upon experience and further education/certification. Becoming a medical assistant is also a great way to receive experience in the medical field, so as to move up the ladder to better professions in the health care industry.